The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we try and trade for Hughes if the lottery isn't in our favor?

We should try but I don't think we will succeed.

I just hope that Colorado doesn't get a top 2 pick. Stupid Ottawa. What were they thinking? Trading away a 1st round pick for a player that can hit the UFA market in less than 2 years? Avs couldn't find a right suitor for Duchene because no one wanted to pay the high price for him. So dumb.

Absolutely not would I trade Horvat or Boeser plus our first rounder for Hughes.

I honestly don’t think Hughes is going to be a Superstar. He’ll probably be a 70-80pt guy at his peak, which is what Horvat will likely be and what Boeser will definitely be. Watching him live in the World Juniors and in the pre-tournament he wasn’t a stand out by any means. Once he was playing with the bigger, faster players of the CHL/Euro leagues, he didn’t dominate.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You don't sound much of a Horvat fan if you'd be willing to part with him that easily. 

Your giving up a 60 point guy AND a 7th for an unknown. 

Hughes is an elite talent and we have his brother. I don't think Horvat+7th would even be enough for the team to trade us the #1 pick. Chemistry is a key factor to cup winning teams, and I'd be willing to make a bold move like this to get the Hughes brothers together. However I'll also gladly keep my now 2nd favourite Canuck (Petey took over) Bo Horvat :)

Hughes is not an unknown, he is an elite prospect and should become a star. We win him and then we have Petey, Hughes, and Horvat as a deadly 123 

Overpayment.  Hughes will be good, but I don't think he's on the same level as McDavid or Matthews.   I think if Dahlin was in this draft he would still be picked up before Hughes.

Horvat might be a lesser player, but is a much better complement to EP than Hughes would be.  Plus, trading Bo + Boeser takes away our depth for the top 6.  Basically would have to rely solely on Hughes and EP alone.    Usually I'm all up for Quality vs Quantity, however the quality in this case does not make up for the quantity IMO.

Nope.  I doubt Hughes will be better than Horvat plus this whoever we pick first this year.  We still have a lot of empty holes in key positions, two very good players in key spots is better than one great player for us at this point.  I have suggested trading Horvat to make our core younger wouldn’t be a bad thing (given he’s the elder statesman who’s going to be a UFA at 27), it’s losing our pick that doesn’t make this work.   And it’s just never going to happen without gutting the team.

8 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It's no secret that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to get Hughes on our team to pair with his brother. But if we don't win Hughes and we pick 7-9, do we make a big push to move up?

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble. It would give us Pettersson and Hughes as a deadly 1-2, and Hughes leading our backend. Itd be like if Crosby and Malkin, or McDavid and Draisitl had Karlsson (hopefully). That gives us 2 top end centers, and a top offensive defencman. We would have plently of young talent still and we would also have more prospects after this draft.

Maybe with Pettersson and Hughes, we can actually take a run at Panarin. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be interested in being paired with any of those 2. Can we get Tryamkin back? I think he's very under rated and would be a perfect pairing for Hughes. Hughes is an offensive defenceman that loves to pinch and take chances in the offensive zone, and Tryamkin is a master of breaking up and defending odd man rushes. Tryamkin is also pretty fast and will surprise you with some end to end rushes himself. If Tryamkin gets more physical he will be a monster and no team will want to face him, especially in a playoff series.

So if we managed to pull of my proposed trade, signed Panarin, and got Tryamkin back, our lines next year could look like.

Line 1

----------------------------------

Panarin Pettersson Virtanen

Line 2

Goldobin Hughes Leivo

Line 3

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Line 4

Roussel Beagle Motte

Depth

Schaller/Gaudette/McEwen/other prospects

Pairing 1A

Edler Tanev

Pairing 1B

Hughes Tryamkin

Pairing 3

XXXXXX Stecher

Depth

Pouliot/Hutton/Biega/Juolevi/Teves/Brisebois/Sautner/Woo?

Goaltending

Markstrom (?)

Demko

Depth (?)

Power play units.

Panarin Pettersson Hughes

Hughes Stetcher

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Edler XXXXX

Yea Horvat is going to be a hell of a 2C and Boeser has 30g-50g potential. I don't know if I'd for sure pull the trigger, but man getting Hughes would be huge, and if we can keep Pettersson and Hughes and still get him that will have us look ing at a very bright future. It may slow down our rebuild by a year, but I don't think it will delay thing much. Hughes brothers might start slow the first year or 2 but they are going to become stars very quickly, especially paired together. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just 1 time get lucky and win Hughes. Like just imaging this lineup in 2-3 years...

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Hughes Virtanen

XXXXXX Horvat XXXXXX

McEwen Gaudette Gadjovich

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

UFA/DiPietro

PP1 :o

Panarin Hughes Pettersson

Hughes Boeser

PP2

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Man I really want Hughes, preferably for free LOL. this offseason is going to be a very interesting one for sure. Do you guys think we make a hard push for him if we don't win 1st OA? If so, how much do you think we should be willing to offer?

The classic "every good free agent signs with us" thread. What does Panarin have to do with trading for Hughes? And how do you still not understand Tryamkin won't be coming til his contract is Russia is up. Lastly, no, god no. Horvat as a 3C would be a huge waste. Everything about this is just....no.

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Yeah, he did have a huge slump, something like 5 points in 15 games, only scoring one goal during that span, but he does so much more than just putting up points. He kind of reminds me of Jason Spezza, who battled consistently early on in his career, but turned out to be a pretty damn good player.

It’s a big bold prediction, but I’m going to stand by it. Dach is one of those guys that will win at any will.

EDIT: Maybe Spezza was a bad comparison. I will probably say more like Sean Couturier.

That doesn’t sound like ringing  endorsement.  I think I would be more at ease with Cozens, Byram, the Russian or anyone else in the top 10 over Dach.

5 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Absolutely not would I trade Horvat or Boeser plus our first rounder for Hughes.

I honestly don’t think Hughes is going to be a Superstar. He’ll probably be a 70-80pt guy at his peak, which is what Horvat will likely be and what Boeser will definitely be. Watching him live in the World Juniors and in the pre-tournament he wasn’t a stand out by any means. Once he was playing with the bigger, faster players of the CHL/Euro leagues, he didn’t dominate.

He was hurt.

I'm a Canuck fan and I don't absolutely love getting Jack Hughes. There has been a lot of first overalls that were supposed to be can't miss that missed badly, not a hope in hell I give up the TALENT you propose for a guy because he's Quinn's brother because a lot of you think Quinn is Bobby Orr material, imho nobody is Bobby Orr material except Bobby Orr. We need help everywhere but center and maybe goal and I don't believe we need any more smallish players unless we trade a couple first.

9 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It's no secret that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to get Hughes on our team to pair with his brother. But if we don't win Hughes and we pick 7-9, do we make a big push to move up?

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble. It would give us Pettersson and Hughes as a deadly 1-2, and Hughes leading our backend. Itd be like if Crosby and Malkin, or McDavid and Draisitl had Karlsson (hopefully). That gives us 2 top end centers, and a top offensive defencman. We would have plently of young talent still and we would also have more prospects after this draft.

Maybe with Pettersson and Hughes, we can actually take a run at Panarin. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be interested in being paired with any of those 2. Can we get Tryamkin back? I think he's very under rated and would be a perfect pairing for Hughes. Hughes is an offensive defenceman that loves to pinch and take chances in the offensive zone, and Tryamkin is a master of breaking up and defending odd man rushes. Tryamkin is also pretty fast and will surprise you with some end to end rushes himself. If Tryamkin gets more physical he will be a monster and no team will want to face him, especially in a playoff series.

So if we managed to pull of my proposed trade, signed Panarin, and got Tryamkin back, our lines next year could look like.

Line 1

Panarin Pettersson Virtanen

Line 2

Goldobin Hughes Leivo

Line 3

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Line 4

Roussel Beagle Motte

Depth

Schaller/Gaudette/McEwen/other prospects

Pairing 1A

Edler Tanev

Pairing 1B

Hughes Tryamkin

Pairing 3

XXXXXX Stecher

Depth

Pouliot/Hutton/Biega/Juolevi/Teves/Brisebois/Sautner/Woo?

Goaltending

Markstrom (?)

Demko

Depth (?)

Power play units.

Panarin Pettersson Hughes

Hughes Stetcher

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Edler XXXXX

Yea Horvat is going to be a hell of a 2C and Boeser has 30g-50g potential. I don't know if I'd for sure pull the trigger, but man getting Hughes would be huge, and if we can keep Pettersson and Hughes and still get him that will have us look ing at a very bright future. It may slow down our rebuild by a year, but I don't think it will delay thing much. Hughes brothers might start slow the first year or 2 but they are going to become stars very quickly, especially paired together. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just 1 time get lucky and win Hughes. Like just imaging this lineup in 2-3 years...

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Hughes Virtanen

XXXXXX Horvat XXXXXX

McEwen Gaudette Gadjovich

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

UFA/DiPietro

PP1 :o

Panarin Hughes Pettersson

Hughes Boeser

PP2

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Man I really want Hughes, preferably for free LOL. this offseason is going to be a very interesting one for sure. Do you guys think we make a hard push for him if we don't win 1st OA? If so, how much do you think we should be willing to offer?

I knew this kind of $&!# would pop up. You put Hughes in that second centre spot instead of Horvat not only are we SOOOOOOO much softer, we lose a player that's made for the playoffs ala Bergeron. Have you seen the work Horvat puts in on both sides of the puck, dudes a bull, HE IS exactly the player we need for the playoffs. This trade Horvat nonsense is laughable and stupid. Somebody lock this stupid thread. @debluvscanucks I feel like we discussed this at one time that this stupidness will pop up, people suck.

Archived