The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we try and trade for Hughes if the lottery isn't in our favor?

10 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It's no secret that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to get Hughes on our team to pair with his brother. But if we don't win Hughes and we pick 7-9, do we make a big push to move up?

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble. It would give us Pettersson and Hughes as a deadly 1-2, and Hughes leading our backend. Itd be like if Crosby and Malkin, or McDavid and Draisitl had Karlsson (hopefully). That gives us 2 top end centers, and a top offensive defencman. We would have plently of young talent still and we would also have more prospects after this draft.

Maybe with Pettersson and Hughes, we can actually take a run at Panarin. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be interested in being paired with any of those 2. Can we get Tryamkin back? I think he's very under rated and would be a perfect pairing for Hughes. Hughes is an offensive defenceman that loves to pinch and take chances in the offensive zone, and Tryamkin is a master of breaking up and defending odd man rushes. Tryamkin is also pretty fast and will surprise you with some end to end rushes himself. If Tryamkin gets more physical he will be a monster and no team will want to face him, especially in a playoff series.

So if we managed to pull of my proposed trade, signed Panarin, and got Tryamkin back, our lines next year could look like.

Line 1

----------------------------------

Panarin Pettersson Virtanen

Line 2

Goldobin Hughes Leivo

Line 3

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Line 4

Roussel Beagle Motte

Depth

Schaller/Gaudette/McEwen/other prospects

Pairing 1A

Edler Tanev

Pairing 1B

Hughes Tryamkin

Pairing 3

XXXXXX Stecher

Depth

Pouliot/Hutton/Biega/Juolevi/Teves/Brisebois/Sautner/Woo?

Goaltending

Markstrom (?)

Demko

Depth (?)

Power play units.

Panarin Pettersson Hughes

Hughes Stetcher

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Edler XXXXX

Yea Horvat is going to be a hell of a 2C and Boeser has 30g-50g potential. I don't know if I'd for sure pull the trigger, but man getting Hughes would be huge, and if we can keep Pettersson and Hughes and still get him that will have us look ing at a very bright future. It may slow down our rebuild by a year, but I don't think it will delay thing much. Hughes brothers might start slow the first year or 2 but they are going to become stars very quickly, especially paired together. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just 1 time get lucky and win Hughes. Like just imaging this lineup in 2-3 years...

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Hughes Virtanen

XXXXXX Horvat XXXXXX

McEwen Gaudette Gadjovich

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

UFA/DiPietro

PP1 :o

Panarin Hughes Pettersson

Hughes Boeser

PP2

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Man I really want Hughes, preferably for free LOL. this offseason is going to be a very interesting one for sure. Do you guys think we make a hard push for him if we don't win 1st OA? If so, how much do you think we should be willing to offer?

I understand this is a forum, but sometimes you need to keep your dumbass opinions to yourself.

Who on the Canucks play with heart and have always been the 'team first' type of player ever since midget?  I think Horvat fits this criteria and you can't draft that kind of passion for the game.  No way I would trade him, Petey, Boeser or Hughes.  Everyone else is on the table along with future draft choices.  Wh

Analogy:  when you renovate an old house you usually don't keep and use the rotting wood and aluminum windows.  You put in new strong and sturdy products otherwise you will continue to have issues.  The Canucks need to get rid of the dead wood.

You can't speak for "every Canuck fan" when telling your secrets though.

Would I love Hughes ll here?  Sure?  At any cost?  Not so much.

For me:  Bo, Brock, Petey are not on the table.  At this point, Marky too.  Period.   We're trying to build a team and it's tough enough to put young, fast, skilled players in place.  Personally, I don't even want Stech gone.

You can't be "desperate" in this league or you'll pay, deeply, for that as other teams will fleece you if they can.  

We're on the path to something good here.  You don't fore sake the work you've been doing and reset for one player in my view.  There is no I in (Jack) stuff.

I hate the putting all the eggs in one basket thinking.   We have some really solid pieces for the future that we're gathering...we want to add to them without taking them away.

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol Pettersson maybe the best player in the hischier draft.. but you are really calling hischier a bust? lmao so a 20 year old with 100 points in 2 season missing his top winger for 40+ games this season is a bust? 

I am not calling Hischier a bust?? I'm saying there is no need to panic and trade trade up with our core asset(s) just for a unknown higher draft pick. 

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't speak for "every Canuck fan" when telling your secrets though.

Would I love Hughes ll here?  Sure?  At any cost?  Not so much.

For me:  Bo, Brock, Petey are not on the table.  At this point, Marky too.  Period.   We're trying to build a team and it's tough enough to put young, fast, skilled players in place.  Personally, I don't even want Stech gone.

You can't be "desperate" in this league or you'll pay, deeply, for that as other teams will fleece you if they can.  

We're on the path to something good here.  You don't fore sake the work you've been doing and reset for one player in my view.  There is no I in (Jack) stuff.

I hate the putting all the eggs in one basket thinking.   We have some really solid pieces for the future that we're gathering...we want to add to them without taking them away.

I would say Q.Hughes is untouchable as well. I agree though, we shouldn't put everything In one player as we don't have enough depth to replace the missing pieces. Got to rebuild around a good core (like we have now) than to rebuild around one/two player(s) (EDM anyone?) 

6 minutes ago, crazycry said:

I would say Q.Hughes is untouchable as well. I agree though, we shouldn't put everything In one player as we don't have enough depth to replace the missing pieces. Got to rebuild around a good core (like we have now) than to rebuild around one/two player(s) (EDM anyone?) 

Oh, he is.   Just thought that would be a given and was speaking more in relation to players who are actively on the roster at the moment (and have played).

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol Pettersson maybe the best player in the hischier draft.. but you are really calling hischier a bust? lmao so a 20 year old with 100 points in 2 season missing his top winger for 40+ games this season is a bust? 

who said bust?

would you trade Horvat, Boesser and a 7th OA for Hirscher?

12 hours ago, 6string said:

Simple answer most teams with lottery potential do not trade down....

Next stop Free Agency...

Or they don't trade at all seeing as we are past the trade deadline and the lottery will happen before we can trade again. lol

As mentioned earlier in the thread (I think it was @Provost) I’d probably be more interesting in sending Quinn to Colorado if they get the 1OA and the price is right. 

Makar plus their own first (16-20 overall?), something like that. Who would do it? Makar has put up big numbers in college and looked great at the WJC. We could still get a good prospect with that pick, maybe even a Brink or something. 

Quinn is awfully unique though...

I would rather trade up to 5th or 6th with a small add like a 2nd rounder in 2020 for Byram. No way I am trading Horvat who is on pace for 65 points this year whilst playing with the likes of Roussel, Eriksson, Leivo and Pearson and bearing most of the defensive responsibilities. Boeser is a non starter.

7th-9th plus 2nd in 2020 for 4-6th

Not a chance... In that there isnt a chance that I would trade up from 7-9 (most likely 9) as it would cost, on top of our pick, either a Bo + or Boeser + or EP. That said, i would not be against trading Quinn to the team that drafts JH if we can get a boatload off them as another poster suggested. 

20 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It's no secret that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to get Hughes on our team to pair with his brother. But if we don't win Hughes and we pick 7-9, do we make a big push to move up?

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble. It would give us Pettersson and Hughes as a deadly 1-2, and Hughes leading our backend. Itd be like if Crosby and Malkin, or McDavid and Draisitl had Karlsson (hopefully). That gives us 2 top end centers, and a top offensive defencman. We would have plently of young talent still and we would also have more prospects after this draft.

Maybe with Pettersson and Hughes, we can actually take a run at Panarin. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be interested in being paired with any of those 2. Can we get Tryamkin back? I think he's very under rated and would be a perfect pairing for Hughes. Hughes is an offensive defenceman that loves to pinch and take chances in the offensive zone, and Tryamkin is a master of breaking up and defending odd man rushes. Tryamkin is also pretty fast and will surprise you with some end to end rushes himself. If Tryamkin gets more physical he will be a monster and no team will want to face him, especially in a playoff series.

So if we managed to pull of my proposed trade, signed Panarin, and got Tryamkin back, our lines next year could look like.

Line 1

Panarin Pettersson Virtanen

Line 2

Goldobin Hughes Leivo

Line 3

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Line 4

Roussel Beagle Motte

Depth

Schaller/Gaudette/McEwen/other prospects

Pairing 1A

Edler Tanev

Pairing 1B

Hughes Tryamkin

Pairing 3

XXXXXX Stecher

Depth

Pouliot/Hutton/Biega/Juolevi/Teves/Brisebois/Sautner/Woo?

Goaltending

Markstrom (?)

Demko

Depth (?)

Power play units.

Panarin Pettersson Hughes

Hughes Stetcher

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Edler XXXXX

Yea Horvat is going to be a hell of a 2C and Boeser has 30g-50g potential. I don't know if I'd for sure pull the trigger, but man getting Hughes would be huge, and if we can keep Pettersson and Hughes and still get him that will have us look ing at a very bright future. It may slow down our rebuild by a year, but I don't think it will delay thing much. Hughes brothers might start slow the first year or 2 but they are going to become stars very quickly, especially paired together. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just 1 time get lucky and win Hughes. Like just imaging this lineup in 2-3 years...

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Hughes Virtanen

XXXXXX Horvat XXXXXX

McEwen Gaudette Gadjovich

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

UFA/DiPietro

PP1 :o

Panarin Hughes Pettersson

Hughes Boeser

PP2

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Man I really want Hughes, preferably for free LOL. this offseason is going to be a very interesting one for sure. Do you guys think we make a hard push for him if we don't win 1st OA? If so, how much do you think we should be willing to offer?

VAN

1OA

NHL

Tanev

Sutter

Goldobin

Juolevi

22 hours ago, Provost said:

No.

I would trade his brother to whoever drafts Jack in order to get a huge haul in return :)

Makar, Colorado’s 1st, + ? For Quinn?

Just checked Colorado top prospects.

I do this:

VAN: Makar + Timmons + COL 2019 1st. 

COL: Hughes + Virtanen 

Makar and Timmons would bolster our D depths.  Then we can focus on getting top tier wingers.

14 hours ago, BPA said:

I do this:

Makar and Timmons would bolster our D depths.  Then we can focus on getting top tier wingers.

That actually looks like a deal both sides could do.  Just enough feeling of “maybe too much” as a homer to make it realistic.

Virtanen is somewhat expendable as we have a plethora of 3rd line wingers.  MacEwan could slide right in there without too much drop off.

You pop in Anderson Lee or Panarin into our top 6 and Makar into our D and we start looking like a playoff team.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, Brock Botanen said:

No....No....No.   A rebuilding team doesn't trade multiple high level assets for a 1st overall pick like Hughes. Plus...it never happens in real life.

Not sure why posters keep opening this same old thread (I mean new threads with the same bloody topic lol) with such a silly premise.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, BPA said:

I do this:

why would Colorado do that?  Makar>Hughes.  Timmons is a recent 2nd round pick and still unknown while Virtanen is looking like a bottom 6 guy. What exactly are you offering that justifies them making tbexdeal and throwing in a high1st? 

Archived