The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Type of Team Do You Want

TheGuardian_

What Type Of Team Do You Want?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Exactly what I was going to say. Nobody willing to wait 3 years, not a single vote, but they want to be a cup winning team. What delusion do these people have? Are we going to sign 5 all-stars from free agency in the next couple years and label ourselves as contenders somehow??? 

I didn't vote for the third year because i don't think there will be a season then but i would not include that. In theory and according to many posters this team already has another 3 difference makers besides Hughes coming so adding two more should be the 5 additional needed by the end of next season. Who knows maybe by a miracle the team gets two additional top ten picks and makes that 5 into 7 by the end of next season.

After the last 5 years this is certainly not wanting to expect something in a jiffy, if two more years it is still a 5 year rebuild in the end. With the CBA year, 6 years all together

Just now, Stelar said:

I want speed, skill, team toughness.  I want to be a competitive challenging for a cup team in 3-4 years.  Once we have that I want young players to continue to break into the lineup each year.  

I think the thing lacking the most is intensity.

The league overall lacks intensity. Young guys want to dipsy doodle and score nice goals. No one wants to score by bulling their way to the net and getting a greasy one. More than ever now, players are making deals with their buddies to ease up on them too. I heard from an ex player on the radio who knows this goes on.

After 49 years in the league, I want to see an organization from top to bottom to the ice that's feverishly committed to winning the Stanley Cup. It's a mindset that after 49 years, losing is something that will no longer be tolerated in this city. 

I want ownership and management to get courageous, aggressive, and finally say ...

"Across 50 years in this league, we've been a loser. We've been an underdog. We've been just good enough. We've been an entertaining team. We've played meaningful games in March. We've been competitive. We've had good showing's nightly. We've been a playoff team. We've been it all. We've even been contenders. The one thing we haven't been is Stanley Cup champions! Enough is enough. Now it's time to win! No longer will the Vancouver Canucks be seen as losers!"

After 50 years, five freakin' decades, this is what I want and believe the fans of this team deserve. I'm not saying it has to happen overnight but this team needs to win a Stanley Cup. Period! And if ownership and management aren't feverishly committed to that after 50 years of losing, with two seriously devastating Cup losses in 94 and 2011, something's wrong! 

33 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

More than ever now, players are making deals with their buddies to ease up on them too. I heard from an ex player on the radio who knows this goes on.

That is pathetic.  Honestly, anyone doing that deserves to be canned.  Team loyalty, no bff's on the other side.  You're not a professional athlete who cares about winning if you ease up on your competition and make deals like that.  True competitors don't know how to ease up.

As an individual your word changes little but as a group, like in an election, the "mob" can have much influence

I don't trust that the mob knows more than the team.

I think the fact that this team seems to be bonding, building chemistry, etc. speaks volumes of the environment they're in.  They appear to like being here, get along with the coach, etc.  That matters more to me than the peanut gallery.

If the team seems unhappy then sure.  But I don't know that that's the case...so who are we to demand changes when it's their jobs we're talking about?

That's what scares me ... the people who just spout off and the sheeple/masses that follow.  I'm not sure they know as much as they say they do.  I know I certainly don't know what's best...so I leave it to them to decide.  I just show up and support them.

I also want to review the "options"

• 1. Type of Team
    •  
  1. 2. What Level of Competitiveness

•  
    No one I know wants to do anything but win...as much as possible and, hopefully, the cup.    Again, all of the above and forcing us to choose is silly.  No one says "let's just make a wild card spot and I'll go away happy".    But we accept if that happens with a "new" team.  There's a difference between "wanting it" and expecting it.

2. 3. Expectations

Where are the options that include:   do you understand that injuries will likely happen and may change the ideal Plan A and mean a plan b will have to be implemented?  Do you have patience to endure slumps .. peaks and valleys ... or will you make rash decisions and expect that the team does too?

Etc.

I just don't like being put in a corner where options are presented that don't cover any of what I feel/think.

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

That is pathetic.  Honestly, anyone doing that deserves to be canned.  Team loyalty, no bff's on the other side.  You're not a professional athlete who cares about winning if you ease up on your competition and make deals like that.  True competitors don't know how to ease up.

It was Jason Strudwick who is on TSN 1260 here.

He said guys talk to each other during skate around before the game and some of them try to say it without saying it. Like i'll ease up on you if you ease up on me kinda thing. He said he never made deals with anyone but knows plenty of guys who did.

I didn’t vote, because the options didn’t really clarify what was meant by them. I think you need to add timelines.

Because obviously I want the team to be Cup contenders, but I know their not and won’t be for at least 3 more years, most likely. And I’m ok with that. 

For me I want to see SPEED and SKILL when watching our team. Petey has accelerated our expectations a bit, but we still need more high end talent before we can be Cup Contenders IMO and that takes time and patience. 

Skill and size is what I want.

There is some skill right now but they still need a little more especially on the wings and D, but they need more size to compete in the playoffs as well. On how long this retool/rebuild has taken already, they should of been considered an almost playoff type team by now but they're not, only reason they were really battling for a wild card spot was due to Markstrom keeping them in the games most nights as a whole they're not really at that level yet. They still don't have the size to compete yet even if they make it and that part is on Benning imo. If they don't make the playoffs next year, which imo they should be with how long it's been, but if they don't I really don't think Aquilini will bring Benning back as GM, Benning imo has to make some moves for next year to get them into the playoffs, to keep his job.

And I find this funny 2 years ago I can remember saying the same thing to posters have patience give it a couple more years for the rebuild, because I felt by now they would be ready especially after it had already been 2-3 years before that as well retooling/rebuilding supposedly. Now 2 years later again, and the same messages are showing up, have patience just wait, fans can't wait 3 years.... This excuse worked a few years ago when they were already 2-3 years into the rebuild/retool, now saying it after its been 5-6 years doesn't really hold the same value anymore imo, hence why I feel Aquilini is going to be expecting playoffs by next year or will look somewhere else.

I too did not vote as the poll was very poorly laid out with wishy washy confusing questions. 

As for the team I want it will be a team that plays fast and relentlessly. A team that will win a Cup or three. It will take 2-3 more years just to start getting close. 

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't trust that the mob knows more than the team.

I think the fact that this team seems to be bonding, building chemistry, etc. speaks volumes of the environment they're in.  They appear to like being here, get along with the coach, etc.  That matters more to me than the peanut gallery.

If the team seems unhappy then sure.  But I don't know that that's the case...so who are we to demand changes when it's their jobs we're talking about?

That's what scares me ... the people who just spout off and the sheeple/masses that follow.  I'm not sure they know as much as they say they do.  I know I certainly don't know what's best...so I leave it to them to decide.  I just show up and support them.

A NHL team should be really pissed off about being the worst team in the league over a four year period, if they are all huggy then the country club atmosphere has established itself.

Hey getting the bonding, chemistry and stuff happening is crucial to a dynasty type team but these players are not good enough and as nice these guys are and as much fun they are having they are not winning.

I know you don't like the ugly side of the game, trades, demotions and cuts but that is the competitiveness of the game and life, winning is rewarded being a loser is not.

As far as the peanut gallery, look around and listen, the group on your side is quickly becoming the gallery. The NHL and Rogers can only control so much of the story sooner or later the the thickest skulls see losing for what it is, not winning. 

The Canucks are 2 losses away from 200 in 4 years. 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

A NHL team should be really pissed off about being the worst team in the league over a four year period, if they are all huggy then the country club atmosphere has established itself.

Hey getting the bonding, chemistry and stuff happening is crucial to a dynasty type team but these players are not good enough and as nice these guys are and as much fun they are having they are not winning.

I know you don't like the ugly side of the game, trades, demotions and cuts but that is the competitiveness of the game and life, winning is rewarded being a loser is not.

As far as the peanut gallery, look around and listen, the group on your side is quickly becoming the gallery. The NHL and Rogers can only control so much of the story sooner or later the the thickest skulls see losing for what it is, not winning. 

The Canucks are 2 losses away from 200 in 4 years.

And Buffalo is the worst of the last 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 years. Nice of you to beat that cherry picked stat like a dead horse. :lol:

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

After 49 years in the league, I want to see an organization from top to bottom to the ice that's feverishly committed to winning the Stanley Cup. It's a mindset that after 49 years, losing is something that will no longer be tolerated in this city. 

I want ownership and management to get courageous, aggressive, and finally say ...

"Across 50 years in this league, we've been a loser. We've been an underdog. We've been just good enough. We've been an entertaining team. We've played meaningful games in March. We've been competitive. We've had good showing's nightly. We've been a playoff team. We've been it all. We've even been contenders. The one thing we haven't been is Stanley Cup champions! Enough is enough. Now it's time to win! No longer will the Vancouver Canucks be seen as losers!"

After 50 years, five freakin' decades, this is what I want and believe the fans of this team deserve. I'm not saying it has to happen overnight but this team needs to win a Stanley Cup. Period! And if ownership and management aren't feverishly committed to that after 50 years of losing, with two seriously devastating Cup losses in 94 and 2011, something's wrong! 

go canucks go.

Archived