The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Melnyk, Sens Wound Up Looking Like Geniuses

Rate this topic

Bottom line is he doesn't care if the team wins or loses.  He simply is too cheap to even attempt to ice an NHL quality franchise, and is lucky a Sens fan was stupid enough to prolong his pathetic excuse for a life.  The problems in Ottawa start with the worthless bum in the owner's box.

The guy even has the audacity to complain publicly about the fans who want a real owner in place.  Do you think the NHL would even allow him to move the franchise, or would one of the conditions of the move to be finding a more suitable owner such as Boxcar Pete?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Threads can occasionally use a devil's advocate angle, depending on subject..not as if any media pretends to understand this bloke(they sure seem to dislike him). Kudos to the guy for p*ssing off any media, in today's rigged news.

I've made it no secret that I have a soft spot for these hapless Sens, & feel their current situation is worth a decent glance.

There is one case I'm sympathetic to EM's side..the realm of overpaid, underperforming, lousy duds. He commits about 50 mill(full contract) to Bobby Ryan, & what happens to the guy?! If I were an owner, such cases Would p*ss me off! Then contrast that with how low tax % regions like TBay can lock in superstars in a 7~9 mill range. It would grind my gears.

So what's he to do after one great run..sign EVERYONE?..EK, Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Brassard, Ryan & Methot(F***ing schoolgirls, couldn't even get along, for Chrissakes!) would add up to 50,000,000AAV, for 7 guys. Then it's 25-30 mill for filler. Your avg age is brutal, & in 2 more yrs it's an overpriced scrap heap.

^Is THIS the scenario you want to go to Ottawa(Corruption-ville) bureaucrats, cap-in-hand looking to get a favourable downtown deal? I wouldn't call that visionary.

************************************************************************************************************************

So we all know what he did..flogged everything that wasn't nailed down. Now he's got like 17(top-3 round) picks, next 3 yrs(with a good drafting history), & a team that's almost under the floor, in cap expense. Not as desperate to sell tix, he can wait out any substandard offers. Also, they have a new bidg in Quebec, don't they? Do you think they'd rather obtain a washed up cast, or a cap-floor underdog with a slew of picks? He can play these 2 sides off each other, & try to negotiate like a savvy businessman would.

Pls don't mistake me for a EM apologist..nor ask for an explanation for his ludicrous "hot stove with Boro" train wrecks(! :^)..but I'd like to put this out there, as grist for the mill. Once seemed like media would offer up possibilities for folks to discuss, as opposed to fulfilling their axe-to-grind agendas.

Now I'm reading that Karlsson can't even stay in practices..Hmm, seems this league is getting younger & younger. OTT might be better positioned to pivot with the times after all?..

Melnyk isn't crazy like a fox.

He is an idiot with too much money that interferes too much with actual hockey people and is hated by the entire city of Ottawa. Melnyk could drop dead today and no Senator fan would mourn him.  He is a goof.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

It's a bit of a leap to think that Melnyk is some kind of genius after seeing what a $&!# show that franchise has been since the '17 conference finals. If you haven't seen it before check out an epic twitter thread about it here:

I thought it was bad, but this isn't bad at all, it is much, much worse than that.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, xereau said:

It will probably never happen with the way the NHLPA operates, but a NFL style, no nonsense cut and run from bad contracts is what this league needs.

Perform, or GTFO.

If the owners presented that at the bargaining table it'd be a non-starter for the PA - 100% players would engage in a work stoppage.   

Imo the league doesn't need this as much as GM'S/owners need to exercise more restraint and better decision making.   There has to be some accountability for their actions. 

I don't really care if he moves the team to Quebec City, Nordiques throwback night would be fun. They made such a dumb move putting the Ottawa arena where it is, I really can't blame people for not wanting to spend the time getting out to it. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just so we're clear.  There are new rules regarding the draft coming up within the next year or so.  The lens might have blown their only chance at a 1st overall pick since Daigle 

I think giving Melnyk credit for the moves and picks is like giving the hens credit for opening the door for the fox. 

If Melnyk let Dorion pay Turris (which if I recall was in the 7-7.5mil range, could be wrong) they'd still have their 1st round pick this summer. Calling him crazy is almost offensive to actual crazy people that likely wouldn't want to be associated with a crack pot like Melnyk. That's not even touching on the fact the guy went off on Karlsson on some stupid s***. I dunno man, this "in defense of" probably not gonna work with Melnyk. Lol.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, Fanuck said:

If the owners presented that at the bargaining table it'd be a non-starter for the PA - 100% players would engage in a work stoppage.   

Imo the league doesn't need this as much as GM'S/owners need to exercise more restraint and better decision making.   There has to be some accountability for their actions. 

There would always be some GM willing to overpay. Maybe the Board of Govenors could work it in they could terminate 1 contract a year?

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

There would always be some GM willing to overpay. Maybe the Board of Govenors could work it in they could terminate 1 contract a year?

They already gave themselves a buyout option - now they need a termination option on top of that?  Then they'll complain they need something else.....what they need imo is restraint.  

But as I said, they're welcome to table that proposal during bargaining and see how the PA responds.