The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Melnyk, Sens Wound Up Looking Like Geniuses

Rate this topic

Was the league involved at all in hiring this Little guy for the CEO position? They prob promised him treasure/future opportunities to say publicly to Melnyk, what anyone would love to tell the guy! Gives them(another) good excuse to move this team, down the road. They've exploited the Ottawa fan, & just when this org is ready to really take off & soar, they'll send it all south of the border.

Another scam where no franchise in Canada will be permitted to properly load up with youth/build a sustainable contender. The Nords all over again.

Arena deal downtown? Nah, league cares not ONE IOTA about that market. They will NEVER allow a sale to another Cdn owner. S1: Load it UPPPPP with prime prospects, then STEP 2: C'Ya! & Yanks for nuthin'! Melnyk is their very useful idiot, & Ottawa fanbase is bein' played like a Clapton Fender

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

• 1 month later...

The Sens deserve a bump for haphazardly stumbling into paradi$e.

All this uncertainty, from the NHL heights, to our everyday lives.

Yet here they sit, with an enviable stash of youth, & a hoard of draft picks. All that, & about 35,000,000$$$! BELOW! next season's cap floor(of course that 2020-21 number will likely be revised). If there are compliance buyouts, OTT will be able to add some motivated vets, on the cheap.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

34 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yet here they sit, with an enviable stash of youth, & a hoard of draft picks. All that, & about 35,000,000$$$! BELOW! next season's cap floor(of course that 2020-21 number will likely be revised). If there are compliance buyouts, OTT will be able to add some motivated vets, on the cheap.

ah

good

this is the other rebuild model then

in contrast to the shanaplan?

hopefully there is a better 3rd option still ?

that involves less craziness then those 2 plans?

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They can, but only if Melnyk either sells the team to a real owner or dies from the virus.  Otherwise, they'll pick up some injured guys who insurance will pay for, and have Ayers for a backup goalie/Zamboni driver.

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

They can, but only if Melnyk either sells the team to a real owner or dies from the virus.  Otherwise, they'll pick up some injured guys who insurance will pay for, and have Ayers for a backup goalie/Zamboni driver.

The Ottawa PTB HAVE to get a downtown rink goin'..could wind up with a 10-15 yr powerhouse squad.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, Fanuck said:

If the owners presented that at the bargaining table it'd be a non-starter for the PA - 100% players would engage in a work stoppage.   

Imo the league doesn't need this as much as GM'S/owners need to exercise more restraint and better decision making.   There has to be some accountability for their actions. 

Fanuck, I would like the NFL contract (NFL is bigger and got it, doubt the NHL will though)

The majority here (not i) wanted Eriksson and Lucic and apparently were going to get those anchor contracts elsewhere (so the bolded part would still be an issue)

Melnyk made the right move with Karlsson, I so didn't want him at the time, and with Doughty and him saying they were watching each other to get the most for each other, I can imagine owners trouble if they talked contract wages publicly

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Fanuck, I would like the NFL contract 

Why exactly?

What problems has their CBA solved for them that could apply to the NHL?

Many have suggested the NFL CBA is superior because they can simply cut players at will but all that did is cause any worthwhile UFA's to demand 'guaranteed' money/huge signing bonuses in their deals which still pretty much count against the cap - although no other CBA in pro sports has as many loopholes I'll grant you that.  

NFL still has a cap.

NFL GM's still have difficulty with their cap.

NFL teams still lose players b/c they can't afford them.

NFL GM'S still sign players to albatross contracts that they simply cannot terminate without great financial penalty. 

• 2 weeks later...

Melnyk hires Anthony LeBlanc as President of business operations, he was one of the original Arizona Coyotes owners and almost bankrupted them! :shock:

He is also the lead man in trying to get a CFL team in Halifax.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/ottawa-senators-name-anthony-leblanc-president-of-business-operations/c-316669976

• 1 month later...

OTTAWA SUN publishes apology to Melnyk/Sens. Just heard about this, was mostly out for the day.

How many times have I complained on this site over contemporary, wh*ring, disingenuous media? Goes back over a decade. Here's the latest prime example. The original post of this very thread(15 mos. back), was viewing the Sens situation through the prism of today's bs-press. It's become predictably tedious & manipulative.

They're in such a rush nowadays to be first(MSM) to any slagging morsel/tidbit, journos can't slow down to get the facts straight. If I were an owner, would sue the A** off these clowns, after they lazily reached for (what appeared) the low-hanging fruit. Looks good on 'em.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:47 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

OTTAWA SUN publishes apology to Melnyk/Sens. Just heard about this, was mostly out for the day.

How many times have I complained on this site over contemporary, wh*ring, disingenuous media? Goes back over a decade. Here's the latest prime example. The original post of this very thread(15 mos. back), was viewing the Sens situation through the prism of today's bs-press. It's become predictably tedious & manipulative.

They're in such a rush nowadays to be first(MSM) to any slagging morsel/tidbit, journos can't slow down to get the facts straight. If I were an owner, would sue the A** off these clowns, after they lazily reached for (what appeared) the low-hanging fruit. Looks good on 'em.

Where is Melnyk's apology to the fans and his city for not caring enough about his winning to pay for an NHL quality team?  Melnyk is still crying about his personal reputation, which he has already done more than enough damage to by being the worst owner in the league.

Edited by King Heffy

• 4 months later...

Ottawa Sens were smart. They sold overpriced stars at JUST the right time.

I bet at least 25 owners would trade rosters(all players, picks & prospects in org) with Ottawa today.

& fortunately, we are one of the teams that would say, "No thanks." We got our own good thing goin...

This Sens team is poised to be a monster, soon.

Furthermore, first two pages of thread folks are dissing this opinion, & asserting that EM will NEVER pay talent, anyhoo, blah x3.

Well folks, they're almost up to 70 mill/40 contracts, & you just know they'll pay Brady(with all invested) next summer. They brought in a bunch of muscle, to protect their hordes of young, talented future. Their top-10 prospects are an enviable stash(most must have heard) that I won't bother listing. It's disgustingly-potent.

You want a textbook, scorched-earth rebuild? hey, admit it..this is it.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Furthermore, first two pages of thread folks are dissing this opinion, & asserting that EM will NEVER pay talent, anyhoo, blah x3.

Well folks, they're almost up to 70 mill/40 contracts, & you just know they'll pay Brady(with all invested) next summer. They brought in a bunch of muscle, to protect their hordes of young, talented future. Their top-10 prospects are an enviable stash(most must have heard) that I won't bother listing. It's disgustingly-potent.

You want a textbook, scorched-earth rebuild? hey, admit it..this is it.

Until the fans don't show up and the bum who owns them throws another tantrum and threatens to move the team.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Until the fans don't show up and the bum who owns them throws another tantrum and threatens to move the team.

Recently heard they've finished 30-31-30 overall(last 3 yrs). Reminds me of the Nords, last overall 3 consecutive yrs, 3 decades back.

We all know what happened for them, shortly thereafter.

It'll be very interesting watching this squad, next 2 or 3 seasons. When they turn the corner, bet they'll be a hot ticket again.

Which begs the question: With a crashing, uncertain economy..was this an absolutely ideal time to go scorched earth?

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently heard they've finished 30-31-30 overall(last 3 yrs). Reminds me of the Nords, last overall 3 consecutive yrs, 3 decades back.

We all know what happened for them, shortly thereafter.

It'll be very interesting watching this squad, next 2 or 3 seasons. When they turn the corner, bet they'll be a hot ticket again.

Which begs the question: With a crashing, uncertain economy..was this an absolutely ideal time to go scorched earth?

Their management has been very good, I'm just not convinced that Melnyk gives a damn whether or not the team is any good.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Their management has been very good, I'm just not convinced that Melnyk gives a damn whether or not the team is any good.

The other day he mentioned that "win it all within 4 yrs" quote.

He's pushed a lot of chips forward. Of course, also heard he's run from some debts :^)

At the end of the day, hope these guys kick the Laffs' a$$! Teach 'em what a proper rebuild looks like.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:21 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

The other day he mentioned that "win it all within 4 yrs" quote.

He's pushed a lot of chips forward. Of course, also heard he's run from some debts :^)

At the end of the day, hope these guys kick the Laffs' a$$! Teach 'em what a proper rebuild looks like.

Laffs are fine and should continue with there perpetual mediocrity.....  It will be fun competing with the Sens !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 months later...

This will be one interesting outfit to keep an eye on.

How quickly will their youth hit the ground running? They certainly won't be pushed around, with all the size they've acquired. In that dept, don't think any of the other Cdn 6 will test them.

Very similar to our squad in 2 ways. Lots of young talent coming, to be excited about. Then about 20+ mill(expiring UFA's) coming off the books at season's end.

In a coupla' yrs this team will be a monster.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 12/29/2020 at 12:45 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

This will be one interesting outfit to keep an eye on.

How quickly will their youth hit the ground running? They certainly won't be pushed around, with all the size they've acquired. In that dept, don't think any of the other Cdn 6 will test them.

Very similar to our squad in 2 ways. Lots of young talent coming, to be excited about. Then about 20+ mill(expiring UFA's) coming off the books at season's end.

In a coupla' yrs this team will be a monster.

How long till we get the - we should have rebuilt like Ottawa threads and Melnyk is a genius and benning is a bum 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, UKNuck96 said:

How long till we get the - we should have rebuilt like Ottawa threads and Melnyk is a genius and benning is a bum 

A question I find interesting. How many current owner/GM combos would trade all their 50 contracts for Ottawa's?

Wouldn't you agree, the number must be in the 20's? Fanbases LOVE having hordes/masses of top youth on an incoming assembly line. You can actually plan new arena deals with such enthusiasm/momentum(if necc).

Makes it rather obvious that they've executed a textbook, scorched-earth rebuild. Been applauding this bold move for 2 yrs now.