The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 IIHF World Championships

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Finns rode a hot goalie to the championship. It’s been known to happen. 

Usually gets called miracle on ice or something like that. 

Getting outshot 21-3 in the third period is not usually equated to great coaching or solid  defense.

Usually it’s a recipe for disaster.

The finns did much more than ride a hot goalie. They adapted strategies that NHL-pros couldn't handle. 

With their coach Pouliot and Gudbranson would have done just fine. But with Green he let them hang out and dry with the effect that fans turn their backs against their own players instead of the coach. 

Individual Awards selected by the Tournament Directorate:

Best Goaltender: Andrei Vasilevski (RUS)
Best Defenceman: Filip Hronek (CZE)
Best Forward: Nikita Kucherov (RUS)

Most Valuable Player selected by the media:

Mark Stone (CAN)

All-Star Team selected by the media:

GK: Andrei Vasilevski (RUS)
DE: Filip Hronek (CZE)
DE: Mikko Lehtonen (FIN)
FW: Mark Stone (CAN)
FW: William Nylander (SWE)
FW: Jakub Voracek (CZE)

12 hours ago, Timråfan said:

The finns did much more than ride a hot goalie. They adapted strategies that NHL-pros couldn't handle. 

With their coach Pouliot and Gudbranson would have done just fine. But with Green he let them hang out and dry with the effect that fans turn their backs against their own players instead of the coach. 

How on earth you could take a positive thread about the WHC and turn it into a bash against the Vancouver Canucks head coach is something that takes some skill.    I think you deserve an award for such a crafted link of something without seemingly any relationship whatsoever.   

This is all you.   Soak it in.   You ARE a winner.   Cue "You are the Champions" (re-recorded by the surviving members of Queen just for this momentous occasion).   

tumblr_lt2bya68O21r4et2ho1_400.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How on earth you could take a positive thread about the WHC and turn it into a bash against the Vancouver Canucks head coach is something that takes some skill.    I think you deserve an award for such a crafted link of something without seemingly any relationship whatsoever.   

This is all you.   Soak it in.   You ARE a winner.   Cue "You are the Champions" (re-recorded by the surviving members of Queen just for this momentous occasion).   

tumblr_lt2bya68O21r4et2ho1_400.png

You have an unhealthy eager to defend both the headcoach and the GM. 

Why is it a minefield saying anything negative about Green and Benning but bash your own players is legal? 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

You have an unhealthy eager to defend both the headcoach and the GM. 

Why is it a minefield saying anything negative about Green and Benning but bash your own players is legal? 

There are lots of threads to bash anyone you want.  It takes a certain type of trollish effort to base the Canuck head coach within the IIHF WHC thread.    

I did nothing of the sort (protect?), I simply applaud the obtuseness of the link and the deserved award.   You could have said something in the Green threads (there are many) but that seemingly would have been mundane and beneath your true aims here.   Well played!    :)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It was a very good tournament to follow and I was so fortunate to take in many of the games on the one side of the pool.   Canada played an interesting game in the final and seemed content to let the Finnish collapse work without changing anything about how they (Canadians) played.   If you are taking on a team playing a "box" even when not killing a penalty, don't try cute moves down low like that - sheesh.   Canada plain and simply got out-coached today.  The shot margin, while impressive, was also misleading as their goalie while good was not beyond insane with great saves.   Posts were a bit of luck but really Canada seemed content to roll the lines and kept trying to get pucks into the slot where there were too many bodies.   

This was one of (if not the biggest) knocks on Vigneault as a coach - his unwillingness or inability to adapt on the fly. 

Many thought he was out coached on several important occasions during his tenure here.  I was one of them..

Good coach / Good guy / Not the most cerebral  

6 hours ago, Borvat said:

This was one of (if not the biggest) knocks on Vigneault as a coach - his unwillingness or inability to adapt on the fly. 

Many thought he was out coached on several important occasions during his tenure here.  I was one of them..

Good coach / Good guy / Not the most cerebral  

Finns were giving them the zone so why not at least try something different - play a rover and put one guy deep essentially ON the goalie and have three guys peppering shots through screens.   That doesn't work then move onto something different but they kept a cycle game and misdirects from down low and/or point shots without sufficient traffic throughout the game as if somehow the Finns would lose their resolve to block shots and defend.   Can't say Alain didn't stick to his guns but he was certainly outcoached in this one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There are lots of threads to bash anyone you want.  It takes a certain type of trollish effort to base the Canuck head coach within the IIHF WHC thread.    

I did nothing of the sort (protect?), I simply applaud the obtuseness of the link and the deserved award.   You could have said something in the Green threads (there are many) but that seemingly would have been mundane and beneath your true aims here.   Well played!    :)

Well, one problem is that I am used to answer when people discuss or mock my opinion. So when Canuck73 question my opinion I answer. 

This is the thread where the finns headcoach is talked about. Hence why I mentioned Green. I had no reason to create or look for a Green thread just for a small comment. 

I got a simular reaction from a "normal" poster when I defended my opinion against Benning. That time I just answered a lot of posters who questioned or mocked my opinion. 

Can you explain why I should be quiet and not the other posters? 

Who is the troll? 

This just goes to show how much more importance that European countries place on the World Championships.  If Canada won, I bet there wouldn't be any more than a few fans at the airport and certainly not a parade or a day off.

• Cheers 1