Sign in to follow this  
goalie13

2019 IIHF World Championships

Rate this topic

This just goes to show how much more importance that European countries place on the World Championships.  If Canada won, I bet there wouldn't be any more than a few fans at the airport and certainly not a parade or a day off.

• Hydration 1

good news for team Canada, won't face the Fins or Swiss till the elimination games, however Germany might just be "trap" game.

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

This just goes to show how much more importance that European countries place on the World Championships.  If Canada won, I bet there wouldn't be any more than a few fans at the airport and certainly not a parade or a day off.

I keep telling all these people who think Europe is somehow "second class" when it comes to hockey that they should go watch a week of games in a few countries to get a better appreciation.   The NHL remains the best league in the world but the gap is closing.   Another thing in Europe is the cost to be a fan for the family that wants to go together is dramatically different.    

On 5/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, goalie13 said:

Is this reaction an indication why some Euro players are criticized for their (seemingly) lack of effort to do what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?  There are, of course, the great players from Europe, who are super compete guys (Petey is clearly one) that will do what ever it takes to win.  Is that their natural compete though, and not so much the love of the Stanley Cup?  Maybe the Canucks need to be careful with Euro players, who don't have Petey's natural level of compete?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is this reaction an indication why some Euro players are criticized for their (seemingly) lack of effort to do what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?  There are, of course, the great players from Europe, who are super compete guys (Petey is clearly one) that will do what ever it takes to win.  Is that their natural compete though, and not so much the love of the Stanley Cup?  Maybe the Canucks need to be careful with Euro players, who don't have Petey's natural level of compete?

I don't think so.  I've seen plenty of North American floaters and Euro guys that that would go through a wall for their team. 

I just think that European fans place way more significance on the World Chamionships than North American fans do.  The World Championships are primarily played in Europe and happen at a time when N.A. Fans are focused on the Stanley Cup.