Sign in to follow this  
The Beagle had landed

[Discussion] Jake Virtanen or Nikolay Goldobin?

Jake Virtanen or Nikolay Goldobin?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Goldobin has been super un lucky he has probably hit more posts than any other canuck this year. I think he is very under rated that being said if I had to pick one it would be Virtanen. guys who are 220 that can skate are very rare. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtanen without a doubt. If Green can hammer it in him to use that outside speed he showed on Tuesday more consistently he’ll be a middle six 20+ goal scorer no question. Yes Goldy has shown he can be brilliant offensively but he just doesn’t have the dedication to do that over an 82 game season. I would trade him for D prospect of equal value. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake. 100% no doubt. Jake has a long way to go to establish and develop his offensive game. But, he's at least he has other skills to help the team. Good skater, big body, hits like a truck and has a good shot. 

 

Goldy is one dimensional and at times isn't very good at that.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtanen  because he was drafted early in the first round and Goldy only cost us Hansen who wasn't worth much anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went Virtannen. Only knock against Jake is his draft position. If he was a second round pick we would be gushing all over him for his size, speed and potential. Goldie has played a fair bit of first line time, gifted multiple opportunities to play with EP and really hasn’t done much. He is too small and irresponsible defensively to play anywhere other than top 6...so this seems like an easy choice. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Neither.  Time to try fleecing some other pressured GM, into draft picks based on what might be.

Canucks desperately need contributing NHL'ers.  Let other GM's coaches waste time trying to realize Jake's perplexing potential.

Goldobin has dropped to negligible value.  Anaheim's young dynamic finisher Steel, just showed Goldy what he might have been.

Management and coaching have proven incapable of developing either natural goalscorers or power forwards.

Only the more easily-coached, easily-sat Schallers and Spooners can grasp their perfect 200-foot, off the glass, passing game. 

A bummer of a summer a'cummer.

This thinking is so bass ackwards it's hilarious.

 

You say we desperately need more contributing players. Then you suggest we need to get rid of Virtanen, who is currently on a career year and would have scored 20 goals if he was healthy all season?

 

Then you say that Canucks management is incapable of developing any picks we get, yet you would rather gamble on a draft pick instead of keeping a young 200ft player who has improved every year he's played?

 

Seriously, get your story straight...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deets said:

This thinking is so bass ackwards it's hilarious.

You say we desperately need more contributing players. Then you suggest we need to get rid of Virtanen, who is currently on a career year and would have scored 20 goals if he was healthy all season?

Then you say that Canucks management is incapable of developing any picks we get, yet you would rather gamble on a draft pick instead of keeping a young 200ft player who has improved every year he's played?

Seriously, get your story straight...

I'd have been happy to have amused you Deets, had you not seemed so easily pleased.

If we don't soon compliment our only three true stars with capable NHL players contributing nightly, they'll stagnate.  Or wander.

Just how long you think they (or their whispering agents) will want to remain while Canucks continue tinkering with the next Jake or Goldobin? 

We don't encourage and develop a prospect's existing talent, we curb or disable it in a hardfast belief that a square peg must eventually fit a round hole.

But, maybe your crooked eyes keep you from seeing a straight story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake and it's not really close. We already have better players that play the way that Goldy plays.  After looking at Jake's season, he is playing quite well. 3rd most shots on goal and 2nd on the team for total hits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I say neither. I'd prefer a third option like "trade both for 2 -2nds and a decent prospect"

At this point I don't feel either are bringing what this team needs, and the team needs to move on. I bet Horvat and Petey and Brock are sick of busting their asses each game, yet lazy Jake gets to stay in the lineup night in and out. 

People need to think about protecting the core, and building around it.. not working on projects that are still 4 years in the making and counting

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would keep both. 

 

I think Virtanen is still young and as he gains his “man-strength” he will become tougher and start imposing his will on opponents more and more. I think in his first few years in the league, he has just been trying to find his way and honestly probably a little intimidated by some of the more physical players on other teams. Now that he has proven he can play in this league, I believe you will start to see him gain more confidence and become more of that physical presence we hope for. 

 

As for Goldobin, he has been snake bitten all year. I don’t believe this is the year you give up on him (1st full season). Let him come back next year and prove he just had bad luck this year. He is treated differently than other players, with the bar constantly changing throughout the year, which has apparently affected his confidence and play. He needs to have a big summer and come back and impress next training camp. He has got the ability to be a player in the NHL, but with this coaching staff/fan base, he can’t afford to have a couple of off games in a row.

 

If I had to choose one over the other, I would keep Jake.

Edited by TheRealistOptimist
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Goldobin has been super un lucky he has probably hit more posts than any other canuck this year. I think he is very under rated that being said if I had to pick one it would be Virtanen. guys who are 220 that can skate are very rare. 

You know whats even more rare, guys who are 220 that can skate, hit and score... but don't......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

You know whats even more rare, guys who are 220 that can skate, hit and score... but don't......

Score who said he could score??? I said nothing about this scoring he has nearly 400 career shots and 32 career goals in 207 games a scorer he is not. He is a complementary player a bigger heavier possibly even faster Jannik Hansen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Score who said he could score??? I said nothing about this scoring he has nearly 400 career shots and 32 career goals in 207 games a scorer he is not. He is a complementary player a bigger heavier possibly even faster Jannik Hansen. 

Sorry, was just trying to elaborate on the attributes he posses yet does not use. Instead of scoring I should have said shot.... he has a wicked shot, unfortunately it doesnt end up in the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JayDangles said:

Sorry, was just trying to elaborate on the attributes he posses yet does not use. Instead of scoring I should have said shot.... he has a wicked shot, unfortunately it doesnt end up in the net.

as the old saying goes..... nope

Edited by hammertime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we have to choose and what can we hope to achieve trading either of them? I don't think either are worth too much and they still have upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake Virtanen, every day and twice on Saturday.

He has become a very valuable part of this team.  I think people that only look at the stats line don't like this guy but the ones who watch him play realize how important he is.  Still has consistency to work on and bringing intensity with every game but this is a solid young PF.  Only 22 in a position that often doesn't get it until 25 or so.  Even then if he brings speed, forecheck and 15-20 goals is a solid player.

This is a team that really has 2 quality wingers in Jake and Brock.  The rest are exchangeable pieces.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks walked away from Goldy if they can't trade him.  Shame, kid has all the tools just no Box.  Don't want to give up on him but this is the pros, not a development league.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtanen eaisily, he’s improved big time this year, is not a liability defensively, has shown offensive flashes, has a skill set hat none of our other forwards have with the combination of speed and size.

 

pretty sure he’s the fastest straight line skater on the team.

 

hughes horvat and surprisingly petey are very fast but I’m pretty sure Jake has them beat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, R3aL said:

Virtanen eaisily, he’s improved big time this year, is not a liability defensively, has shown offensive flashes, has a skill set hat none of our other forwards have with the combination of speed and size.

 

pretty sure he’s the fastest straight line skater on the team.

 

hughes horvat and surprisingly petey are very fast but I’m pretty sure Jake has them beat.

 

 

To bad his brain doesn't keep up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.