Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Schenn has done more than gudbransons tough guy act did . 

Hot take

also im drink at 4pm don’t judge me we getting jack hughes 

Jelly!

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

I dunno, man. I could see schenn taking over tanev's role and tanev being flipped for an asset. he's shown (albeit in a limited sample) an ability to play well defensively and move the puck well. you add in his physicality, durability and willingness to stand up for his teammates, and I think he makes #8 redundant. 

edler-tbd

hutton-stecher

hughes-schenn

It is a small sample, but Schenn could be the kind of partner Hughes needs - and vice versa.  As for trading Tanev, I agree entirely, and not because Tanev has not been great for Vancouver - when he is able to play, he has been a great asset.  That said, Vancouver’s onerous travel schedule is not conducive to injury prone defencemen.  Weariness is a large factor in susceptibility to injury.  A change to the east coast would probably aid greatly in extending the career of a really honest and courageous defender, that has given great service here.  That said, I don’t think we should expect a great return for him, and a trade would certainly be questioned in hindsight if he suddenly is less often hurt and finds success elsewhere.  A trade just might be a blessing for Tanev, and he has certainly earned one - he could sure be the element missing from the Toronto defence.  But all that said, Schenn just might be a great fit with Hughes, and we also have another guy that can play the right side and that we have rights to and is not yet in Vancouver - Tryamkin.  I’m talking in addition to Schenn.  Biega has certainly been making a case for being retained - but I’m thinking that he still makes a great seventh D.  Having Tryamkin back, who can play either side allows Biega to move into the lineup no matter which handed D is down for maintenance.

Schenn just might fill fill the gap till Woo is ready.

Since Edler has changed to an almost exclusive use of a low wrist shot from the point, he has eliminated his biggest negative - the attempted big slapper that gets blocked and bounces out behind him.  His 31 points in 52 games is quite a comeback - over an 82 game schedule, that is in the area of 50 points - not bad.  If we re-sign him, we could still use both him and Hughes on the first unit - with Hughes as a kind of rover.  So, Edler and Hughes are two thirds of the left side - that leaves Hutton (who probably has gained strong trade value) - do we keep him or deal him and leave room for a young left side D to prove he belongs - Juolevi, Sautner, Brisebois, McEneny (who seems to have no love at the moment in the organization), possibly Rathbone, or maybe spend some bucks in free agency?

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

When this team gets good, the GDTs and PGTs will be legendary. Not to mention the memes...

So much positive from this year, really. You can see where this is going. This team will be exciting next year and will be a contender in 3 to 4 years.

Maybe I missed it, but... is no one loving and laughing as hard as I am at the demolition hit Petey laid on Kopitar?? Comes in a reeeeeal close second for me to the Hughes/Boeser play.

How bout we all calm down on Schenn. He has been ok and I like how he is physical but he is hanging on to a thread in the NHL and now some want him to take Tanevs spot.  

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
DP

Edited by Jaimito

26 minutes ago, CharlieChan said:

cuz Tanev will get injured again next year.

No harm in having some defence depth on cheap contracts

Absolutely agree, but if Schenn is a top 6 regular next season, JB had a very poor summer and his job would likely be on the line.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Disgruntler said:

Maybe I missed it, but... is no one loving and laughing as hard as I am at the demolition hit Petey laid on Kopitar?? Comes in a reeeeeal close second for me to the Hughes/Boeser play.

Any highlights of this or the other rough stuff with Schenn? I missed the game, and cant seem to find anything online.

Edited by Sikhguy23

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

That's a loaded comparison. So because he doesn't think the game like Pettersson he has low IQ (which is how all the anti-Virtanen people make it sound since the only player that has their IQ questioned is Jake)? By that metric the entire team has low IQ cause Petey is a very, very smart player. 

I don’t aee him making plays that suggest he thinks the game in a way that suggests a high hockey IQ.  Does that matter?  Not at all...  most players don’t.  And you need players like him - straight forward skilled players.  I’m not saying he isn’t smart.  Hockey IQ is something different than that.

take any top playmaker:  they all have high hockey IQ.

take any top goal scorer:  they don’t have the same hockey IQ on average as the playmakers.

Jake fits into the second category.  It isn’t an indictment or a negative!  

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

How bout we all calm down on Schenn. He has been ok and I like how he is physical but he is hanging on to a thread in the NHL and now some want him to take Tanevs spot.  

I can see moving Tanev to fit Joulevi onto the roster and Schenn taking Biega’s job. Training camp might be pretty competitive on defence.

I think Hughes would play great with Troy Stetcher. I think he could keep up with Hughes a lot better than a big slow guy. Maybe if we free agency sign Karlsson him and Edler might compliment each other well. If Tanev is healthy play him as a 6th defence man, if not Schenn can step in a take care of business. 

Edler Karlsson 

Hughes Stetcher 

Hutton Tanev 

Sautner  Schenn

Juolevi

Well after that game, I think Benning is fire proof for one more season. No way they can fire him after watching that OT. Hughes kept skating circles around Kopitar! Kopitar is a selke winner if I’m not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Well after that game, I think Benning is fire proof for one more season. No way they can fire him after watching that OT. Hughes kept skating circles around Kopitar! Kopitar is a selke winner if I’m not mistaken. 

Meh, plus Pettersson rubbing him out on the boards and taking the puck like candy from a baby.

19 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

88F20C6D-9331-4B45-8F41-40C613A7FDB8.gif

Boeser totally reminded me of Brett Hull there.

2 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

I don’t aee him making plays that suggest he thinks the game in a way that suggests a high hockey IQ.  Does that matter?  Not at all...  most players don’t.  And you need players like him - straight forward skilled players.  I’m not saying he isn’t smart.  Hockey IQ is something different than that.

take any top playmaker:  they all have high hockey IQ.

take any top goal scorer:  they don’t have the same hockey IQ on average as the playmakers.

Jake fits into the second category.  It isn’t an indictment or a negative!  

I see him make tons of those kinds of plays.  

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Boeser totally reminded me of Brett Hull there.

I don’t remember Hull that much (the shot for sure) but I love how Brock was muscling into the crease there.  

He’s not huge but he’s not a small boy either.  Love seeing him muscle around out there a bit.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd really like to see Green shuffle the lines here.  Petey's line is mostly ineffective and spends the bulk of its time trapped in its own end.  Mix them up and see what other combos look like and try and get some life back into Petey for the last few games.

Something to try is Gaudette at center and EP40 on the wing....they'll never know what could happen until they try it. 

EP40 seems to be struggling in his own zone at center, however, if he was at wing and Gaudette worked down low to feed him the puck, then EP40 and BB6 would get a jump on the rush.

Canucks have been mathematically eliminated. It happened after game 78. That's progress.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

I see him make tons of those kinds of plays.  

Of course.  Any player in the NHL has a high hockey IQ.

just saying that relative to the entire NHL - if you make hockey IQ the value on a bell curve, he isn’t at the top.  Maybe the middle somewhere?  40-60 range out of 100?