The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider 08/09 vs Demko 18/19

ItalianCanuck1

Just curious to hear your opinion about Schneider's first NHL stint (when he was called up to play some games w/ Sanford and LaBarbera) and the Demko's one.

Do you see similarities or do you think Demko is way more ready than Schneider was when he played his first NHL game vs Calgary?

Comparatively speaking it'd make more sense to compare 23 year old Demko to 23 year old Schneider, but Schneider only played 2 games that season. Which speaks volumes to the teams Schneider played behind. 

37 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, Demko is off to a better start with random occasional spot duty here and there in his first couple years, but I still think he'll be hard pressed to produce one full season with a sub-2.00 GAA, let alone two.

I'm sure Demko could do it as a backup on a President's Trophy team. Schneids was really good but the seasons his GAA was under 2 he played 45 or fewer games and one of those teams was a President's trophy team here in Vancouver. This team at it's best had Hamhuis and Bieksa as a shutdown pair. One of the best in the league as a matter of fact. Nobody on this team comes close to Bieksa and Hammer as a shutdown d-man, let alone having two guys like that. I am not entirely sure how his NJ team played defensively but I'll give full credit to him for managing a sub 2.00 GAA that season.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'm sure Demko could do it as a backup on a President's Trophy team. Schneids was really good but the seasons his GAA was under 2 he played 45 or fewer games and one of those teams was a President's trophy team here in Vancouver. This team at it's best had Hamhuis and Bieksa as a shutdown pair. One of the best in the league as a matter of fact. Nobody on this team comes close to Bieksa and Hammer as a shutdown d-man, let alone having two guys like that. I am not entirely sure how his NJ team played defensively but I'll give full credit to him for managing a sub 2.00 GAA that season.

You're SURE Demko could post a sub-2.00 GAA on a President's Trophy team?  Luongo couldn't.  Very few goaltenders have done it under any circumstances since the 1950s.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

You're SURE Demko could post a sub-2.00 GAA on a President's Trophy team?  Luongo couldn't.  Very few goaltenders have done it under any circumstances since the 1950s.

Luongo was a starter. Schneider was a backup and as a backup generally got the easier games. That's why I said "as a backup on a President's Trophy team".

12 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Weird to call Schneider a backup in hindsight.  Vigneault gave him a lot of starts, sometimes against very tough teams.

33 is not a lot. And the year before only got to 25 cause they wanted him to share the Jennings Award with Lu. And looking at the game logs from his 10/11 season he played Edmonton a lot, and if memory serves during that time the Canucks were like 10-0-0 or something ridiculous like that. The good teams he played against he wasn't really all that good. Guy played Edmonton 4 times that season alone. So, calling him a backup even in hindsight is not weird cause the deployment speaks to him being a backup. You play as a backup, you're a backup.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Luongo was a starter. Schneider was a backup and as a backup generally got the easier games. That's why I said "as a backup on a President's Trophy team".

It's still a pretty optimistic claim.  I have high hopes for Demko, but there really isn't anything to set him apart from Corey Hirsch or Fred Brathwaite at the same points in their careers.

Anyway, I hope you're right.

Demko’s first 7 games are somewhat similar although better than Schneider’s. 3.08 GAA and a .902 save % compared to Schneider’s 3.38 GAA and .877 save %. It’s quite possible he gets a similar workload next year too so I think we should wait and use that as a comparison. 

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Weird to call Schneider a backup in hindsight.  Vigneault gave him a lot of starts, sometimes against very tough teams.

He was the backup and not the better goalie back then or in hindsight...what Luongo was in Florida while at the same age he was still playing in College and the AHL...well I remember it well.   He was one of my favourite goalies just watching the highlights daily and weekly, he was the best young goalie in the league and one of the best I’d ever seen...getting out shot 19 40-50 and still keeping it close almost every single game.  One of my happiest days ever as a fan when Nonis traded for him.(and I loved Bertuzzi) .and one of the best trades in Canucks history. 

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's still a pretty optimistic claim.  I have high hopes for Demko, but there really isn't anything to set him apart from Corey Hirsch or Fred Brathwaite at the same points in their careers.

Or Kevin Weekes.   Or Cloutier.

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I mean, I don't really like speaking in certainties. When I said I am sure Demko could, it's more of a he has a chance to do it on a President's trophy team. I'd say a President's Trophy team is, generally speaking, pretty good. With that said, goals are up in the league a bit so maybe it is quite hopeful to think anyone could post a sub 2.00 GAA over 20 or more games even on the best of teams. Schneids was no ordinary backup.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He was the backup and not the better goalie back then or in hindsight...what Luongo was in Florida while at the same age he was still playing in College and the AHL...well I remember it well.   He was one of my favourite goalies just watching the highlights daily and weekly, he was the best young goalie in the league and one of the best I’d ever seen...getting out shot 19 40-50 and still keeping it close almost every single game.  One of my happiest days ever as a fan when Nonis traded for him.(and I loved Bertuzzi) .and one of the best trades in Canucks history. 

Bertuzzi was my favorite player, but I still loved the trade. Funnily enough, there was a compilation video of Ovechkin scoring a bunch (to Aerosmith's "Dream on") where he scores on a desperate Luongo (giggity) and that video made my friend and I laugh really hard. 

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, I don't really like speaking in certainties. When I said I am sure Demko could, it's more of a he has a chance to do it on a President's trophy team. I'd say a President's Trophy team is, generally speaking, pretty good. With that said, goals are up in the league a bit so maybe it is quite hopeful to think anyone could post a sub 2.00 GAA over 20 or more games even on the best of teams. Schneids was no ordinary backup.

Jordan Binnington has done it for 30 games this year on St. Louis, and to be honest, I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't give him my vote for the Calder this year.

Anyway, it's a very rare accomplishment and I agree it will be rarer still in a high scoring league.  It's just notable that Schneider doing it twice matches Martin Brodeur, who managed it twice ever.  Henrik Lundqvist did it once in 15 years.  Tim Thomas never.  Bobrovsky never.  Carey Price once.  Pekka Rinne never.  Ryan Miller never.  Luongo never.  Jonathan Quick once.  Cam Ward never.

23 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, Demko is off to a better start with random occasional spot duty here and there in his first couple years, but I still think he'll be hard pressed to produce one full season with a sub-2.00 GAA, let alone two.

really curious to hear your line of reasoning here.. I sure have no way of predicting 10 - 15 years of a goalie's trajectory, let alone overall team defence or league trends for that matter.. 

11 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

really curious to hear your line of reasoning here.. I sure have no way of predicting 10 - 15 years of a goalie's trajectory, let alone overall team defence or league trends for that matter.. 

I can predict that it is "unlikely" for any goalie to produce elite performance on the level of multiple sub-2.00 GAA seasons the same way I can call it unlikely that a forward of a similar developmental stage and pedigree will have multiple 120 or 130 point seasons.  It is simply a level of achievement such that it is hardly going out on a limb to predict that "player X" won't achieve it, excepting possibly the likes of Connor McDavid.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jordan Binnington has done it for 30 games this year on St. Louis, and to be honest, I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't give him my vote for the Calder this year.

Anyway, it's a very rare accomplishment and I agree it will be rarer still in a high scoring league.  It's just notable that Schneider doing it twice matches Martin Brodeur, who managed it twice ever.  Henrik Lundqvist did it once in 15 years.  Tim Thomas never.  Bobrovsky never.  Carey Price once.  Pekka Rinne never.  Ryan Miller never.  Luongo never.  Jonathan Quick once.  Cam Ward never.

Not enough games......he'll get votes but come in behind the big three.

The posts bring back quite a lot of memory. If AV started Schneider against LA from game 1 in 2012 playoffs, would we have beaten them? If so, the road to the cup was completely open that year. I guess without Daniel in the lineup, we would have lost anyways... F*ck Dunc Keith.

Archived