The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

26 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

That was their way to get him to play "tougher". Even though he was already standing up guys, and sticking up for teammates more than most of the players on the team at that time. 

If true, I'm not surprised that Tryamkin didn't like his time here. 

You can't force a player to change their nature. Pronger had this natural mean-ness but Tryamkin just doesn't have that and that's not a problem. Tryamkin, even without that natural mean-ness is a tough guy that is intimidating to play against. 

Some people think Chara also has mean nature, but IMO, he doesn't. Over time, he developed the need to protect his teammates and brings it out when needed. The same thing can happen for Tryamkin as time goes on. 

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Byram has the shot if you seen him play in WHL. 

He has 26 goals as a defenseman. Guy has a shot. 

I swear if we get Byram and hell even Tryamkin comes after NEXT season (contract ends next season so I would assume he comes the season after), our defense is set, like literally set.

Yep, was just stating from the current defence core whether there is a player that has the shot.

Juolevi is another defenceman that I keep on forgetting that has the potential to become a solid top-four defenceman.

Jumping the gun here with Hughes after a single (though remarkable) game, but let’s speculate here that Tryamkin comes back, and we sign Myers. 

Hughes Myers

Hutton(Tryamkin) Stecher 

Juolevi Tryamkin(Woo)

Big assumptions obviously, but I like that core a whole lot better than 

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Hughes Schenn 

Would personally prefer another RHD (hopefully Woo) as opposed to playing Tram on his off hand (though he can and has played it successfully). But my original 6 has size, speed, and reasonable pushback. 

Just now, Deets said:

Come on man... Tryamkin doesn't have a better shot than Brock Friggen Boeser. Just. No. Way.

Harder if not as accurate, but even that is hard to determine because he was used so much on the PK and matched up against the best of the other team, Willie wanted to make him look bad, but he just endured.

Willie apparently really hates the "Ruskis" trouble with Tryamkin and now Kovalchuk? It is the optics.

Now that Hughes has suited up OJ has become a marginal dman when the team D is discussed or is a add in like forgotten.

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Who cares?   

The fantasizing here is insane.  

You cared enough to enter the thread.

We just supposed to pretend Tryamkin doesnt exist?  Not sure if you're aware,  but this team needs some players on D.

Everyone sees a tall heavy guy and seems to forget how much he struggled on the ice his last season in Vancouver. He has to have gotten MUCH better over in Russia to be a fixture in out top 6 if we want a roster pushing for the playoffs

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Everyone sees a tall heavy guy and seems to forget how much he struggled on the ice his last season in Vancouver. He has to have gotten MUCH better over in Russia to be a fixture in out top 6 if we want a roster pushing for the playoffs

We must have been watching different players.   I saw a guy who was constantly improving as the season went on.

If he was on this team right now he would be our #3.

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

it sounds like from the regular KHL watchers over in the Tryamkin thread that there has been improvement, and if I'm reading the KHL stats page correctly it looks like he averaged 20 min per night. Different competition level but also encouraging. 

57 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The dead weight is our two best defensemen, Tanev and Edler.  Great guys, no mistake... but very hard to have $9.5 million locked down on a couple of very injury-prone players.

One of them is dead weight, which one I don't care but one of them have to go

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

We must have been watching different players.   I saw a guy who was constantly improving as the season went on.

If he was on this team right now he would be our #3.

He had a long reach and was breaking up plays on the rush and holding his blueline, part of it is coaching but he did look confused positionally once the other team had the puck and started controlling in the ozone

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Harder if not as accurate, but even that is hard to determine because he was used so much on the PK and matched up against the best of the other team, Willie wanted to make him look bad, but he just endured.

Willie apparently really hates the "Ruskis" trouble with Tryamkin and now Kovalchuk? It is the optics.

Now that Hughes has suited up OJ has become a marginal dman when the team D is discussed or is a add in like forgotten.

Everywhere you go you leave a trail of conjecture, it’s quite amusing. 

“Willie wanted him to look bad”? :wacko: I’m no Desjardins fan but I can confidently say that’s a horrible take. No coach wants his player to look bad. Tryamkin came to camp out of shape, and with the unrealistic expectation of what kind of role he would be playing. 

I suppose we could say Green hates Russians too because of his treatment of Goldobin this season? Trying to make a player work harder and be accountable all over the ice is wishing a player would look bad? Jeez man I want whatever you’re smoking. 

31 minutes ago, khay said:

If true, I'm not surprised that Tryamkin didn't like his time here. 

You can't force a player to change their nature. Pronger had this natural mean-ness but Tryamkin just doesn't have that and that's not a problem. Tryamkin, even without that natural mean-ness is a tough guy that is intimidating to play against. 

Some people think Chara also has mean nature, but IMO, he doesn't. Over time, he developed the need to protect his teammates and brings it out when needed. The same thing can happen for Tryamkin as time goes on. 

Yep totally right.. WD isn't the brightest coach though so what do you expect.. I'm still annoyed by it as I really enjoyed watching Tryamkin play. 

55 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Nikita has said in the past he still follows the Canucks. Personally I'm taking this with a grain of salt and not going to read into this much. 

Yeah, it’s nothing new. Tryamkin has said his routine is often to watch Vancouver’s game in the morning before he heads off to the rink for practice. He’s been following the team’s progress ever since he left.

It’s one of those things where we probably shouldn’t read too much into it, but also shouldn’t read too little into it.

Nik follows the goings on in Vancouver pretty closely. He’s said he’d like to come back to the NHL one day. And his agent says that Benning gets in touch every couple weeks or so. It’s certainly very possible that Tryamkin comes back one day. But most likely not until he finishes off his current KHL deal. At that point, I’m sure that Nik, his agent, and Canucks management will talk, and see if a deal can be made that makes sense for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Somebody should read Tree the story, Chicken Little. 

He wanted to skip the rebuild phase and come play when the work was done. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

Sure, he and his wife didn’t like hipster Vancouver and it’s ever-present smell of dope and they had no real family here, but to come back next season would be an interesting character discussion.  

Nah most young players breaking into the NHL don't worry about that stuff. They are mostly worried about making sure their performance/production is up to the mark and that their development is going well. Its nice to be in a winning situation but its entirely superfluous as the initial goal is to keep improving in order to get paid. When you factor in Tryamkin's limited grasp of the English language and our atrocious coaching staff at the time, I can perfectly understand why a player frustrated with his lack of progress would decide to move to more familiar surroundings. He will come back a more mature player, with a better ability to communicate with coaching staff and his D partners. I always felt like it was a decision that made sense even if it hurt us in the short term.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The dead weight is our two best defensemen, Tanev and Edler.  Great guys, no mistake... but very hard to have $9.5 million locked down on a couple of very injury-prone players.

I don't think anybody who plays with either player or coaches them would call them dead weight.  They are both warriors who give everything to the team and are great leaders.  Edler has had one of his best statistical seasons. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We don’t need another Marek Malik.

They wanted Tree to be an Oak, not a Willow. 

My opinion on this hasn’t changed.. the coaching staff wanted the 6’7 260 pound mastodon to play tougher?  Oh, the humanity.

Posters acting like we should have let him twirl about like a giant Evgeni Plushenko.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

My opinion on this hasn’t changed.. the coaching staff wanted the 6’7 260 pound mastodon to play tougher?  Oh, the humanity.

Posters acting like we should have let him twirl about like a giant Evgeni Plushenko.

I can't blame Nik for not wanting to get boxed in to a tough guy role. But showing him Pronger videos was the height of stupidity. I'm convinced thats the moment he chose to tell his agent to sign with his home town KHL team. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't blame Nik for not wanting to get boxed in to a tough guy role. But showing him Pronger videos was the height of stupidity. I'm convinced thats the moment he chose to tell his agent to sign with his home town KHL team. 

I think it’s kinda amateur hour but why would it be so insulting?  

The part that confuses me the most is that he seemed to toughen up as the year went on, to great results.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I think it’s kinda amateur hour but why would it be so insulting?  

The part that confuses me the most is that he seemed to toughen up as the year went on, to great results.

I think because the guy wanted to be a more complete player. If the toughness comes naturally, as it was, and he becomes good enough to be a regular NHL d why not just focus on his game and worry about the tough guy stuff later? jesus, the guy crushed Richardson's leg in 3 places just with a normal hit. It was also the last straw in what really seemed to be a frustrating year with ol Willie. 

Archived