The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Somebody should read Tree the story, Chicken Little. 

He wanted to skip the rebuild phase and come play when the work was done. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

Sure, he and his wife didn’t like hipster Vancouver and it’s ever-present smell of dope and they had no real family here, but to come back next season would be an interesting character discussion.  

Seriously? This is pro hockey, not little league. I want to win the cup... and crush calgary and edmonton for a decade! I could care less if Tram "skipped the rebuild" to play in Russia. I care about icing the best damn canucks team the world has ever seen! Total domination!.....I want JB to ice whoever makes this team better.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

that's a minor league move, imo.  Not something you pull in the elite league of the world.  Bush league, but that's my opinion.  Again, he was a kid and kids do dumb things, I'd like to see him back, but with a better attitude.

There is nothing minor league move about making a move that earns you more money back home. The biggest reason why most foreigners play in the NHL is because they make more money here. Not because of 'elite league' nonsense that we like telling ourselves. 

If Kovie can't, or won't, play defense then he's going to have issues with every single coach in the NHL.  What's your issue with showing players video?  Video is the single biggest coaching tool used now.

And if you are a coach who tries to re-invent Ovechkin or Kovie or Sutter, it makes you a bad coach. Big part of coaching is to know what are the strengths and weaknesses of your players, what you can improve on and what you have to make-do with. The issue isn't with showing video, its WHO'S video they showed. Showing a Pronger video to motivate a 260 pound defenseman is almost garanteed to kill their careers in TODAY'S NHL in record time. 

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Seriously? This is pro hockey, not little league. I want to win the cup... and crush calgary and edmonton for a decade! I could care less if Tram "skipped the rebuild" to play in Russia. I care about icing the best damn canucks team the world has ever seen! Total domination!.....I want JB to ice whoever makes this team better.

Yeah exactly.  He developed elsewhere and we still own his rights.  Win win scenario.

Bottom line is that we, all of us, know nothing of what happened behind the scenes.  The whole weed thing is from some crappy Russian news site.  The whole character thing is just made up equivocations from scorned, know nothing fans, that has taken on a life of its own over time.

I'd welcome this guy back, no question.

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

There is nothing minor league move about making a move that earns you more money back home. The biggest reason why most foreigners play in the NHL is because they make more money here. Not because of 'elite league' nonsense that we like telling ourselves. 

And if you are a coach who tries to re-invent Ovechkin or Kovie or Sutter, it makes you a bad coach. Big part of coaching is to know what are the strengths and weaknesses of your players, what you can improve on and what you have to make-do with. The issue isn't with showing video, its WHO'S video they showed. Showing a Pronger video to motivate a 260 pound defenseman is almost garanteed to kill their careers in TODAY'S NHL in record time. 

If Tryamkin's motivation is purely financial, good riddance and don't come back.  I want players on the Canucks who want to win the cup, not cash in on a big payday.  You see it how you like, I've played, coached and been involved in high level hockey for a long, long time and my opinion is it was a total bush league move made by an entitled Russian.  

Ovie didn't do sh!t until  BB forced him to re-invent his game and dedicate himself to being defensively respnsible.  Suddenly, presto, whamo, Stanley Cup.  That's not a coincidence, that's good coaching and Ovie being humble enough to realize that BB knows a little more than he does.  Even Tryamkin's agent called him immature back then, mere days ago.

Once agfain, if he's matured, I'd welcome him back.

You wouldn't want Tryamkin to get ideas about how to play as a big man in the NHL from one of the very best of all time?  That's........ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

my guess is, you're too young to have watched Pronger.......nothing wrong with that.  

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

Yeah exactly.  He developed elsewhere and we still own his rights.  Win win scenario.

Bottom line is that we, all of us, know nothing of what happened behind the scenes.  The whole weed thing is from some crappy Russian news site.  The whole character thing is just made up equivocations from scorned, know nothing fans, that has taken on a life of its own over time.

I'd welcome this guy back, no question.

he's made some pretty unflattering remarks about the Canucks since leaving.  Could be mis-quoted or lost n translation, but I wouldn't say there's no smoke there.

4 hours ago, khay said:

Did this really happen?

If so, WTF were they doing? Was Pronger stomping on Kesler's leg in the highlight?

Yes he said they wanted him to play like Pronger . That is not his personality so made him uncomfortable was what i read . 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

my guess is, you're too young to have watched Pronger.......nothing wrong with that.  

Err no. I have watched Hockey since the late 90s. This is why i know showing an idiot like Pronger is a sign of an incompetent coach today. One does not show videos to emulate a man who'd get 10 slashing and 10 elbowing penalties per game, every game in today's NHL.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

If Tryamkin's motivation is purely financial, good riddance and don't come back.  I want players on the Canucks who want to win the cup, not cash in on a big payday. 

What you want, is a unicorn then. Okay. This is not how pro sports work, regardless of what you've been lead to believe via leading questions of the media to them. Winning a cup is a part- a small part - of most player's goals. 

You see it how you like, I've played, coached and been involved in high level hockey for a long, long time and my opinion is it was a total bush league move made by an entitled Russian.  

And i know enough about pro sports ( i also coach currently,btw - not in hockey but in something else) to know that anyone who thinks an athlete's main goal is to win a cup, is out to lunch. 

Ovie didn't do sh!t until  BB forced him to re-invent his game and dedicate himself to being defensively respnsible.  Suddenly, presto, whamo, Stanley Cup.  That's not a coincidence, that's good coaching and Ovie being humble enough to realize that BB knows a little more than he does.  Even Tryamkin's agent called him immature back then, mere days ago.

BB and WD are not in the same league. 

Once agfain, if he's matured, I'd welcome him back.

You wouldn't want Tryamkin to get ideas about how to play as a big man in the NHL from one of the very best of all time?  That's........ridiculous.

I wouldn't want to get Tryamkin any ideas on how to play from one of the DIRTIEST players of all-time, who played in the league at a time when the league was 10x friendlier with late hits, dirty plays, slew-foots, elbowing to the face and continuous slashing. Pronger if transposed in the last 3-4 years of NHL either is forced to re-invent his game or become a 5th/6th D in a middling team due to racking up 10 PIMs per match that are not fight related. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

Err no. I have watched Hockey since the late 90s. This is why i know showing an idiot like Pronger is a sign of an incompetent coach today. One does not show videos to emulate a man who'd get 10 slashing and 10 elbowing penalties per game, every game in today's NHL.

What you want, is a unicorn then. Okay. This is not how pro sports work, regardless of what you've been lead to believe via leading questions of the media to them. Winning a cup is a part- a small part - of most player's goals. 

And i know enough about pro sports ( i also coach currently,btw - not in hockey but in something else) to know that anyone who thinks an athlete's main goal is to win a cup, is out to lunch. 

BB and WD are not in the same league. 

I wouldn't want to get Tryamkin any ideas on how to play from one of the DIRTIEST players of all-time, who played in the league at a time when the league was 10x friendlier with late hits, dirty plays, slew-foots, elbowing to the face and continuous slashing. Pronger if transposed in the last 3-4 years of NHL either is forced to re-invent his game or become a 5th/6th D in a middling team due to racking up 10 PIMs per match that are not fight related. 

you realize that Chris Pronger is in the Hall of Fame, right?  He's not some scrub, he's one of the best defensemen of all time.  You don't get into the HoF because you're dirty.  If anything, he had to be even better to get in because he was dirty.

being a HoF dman isn't in his personality?

being the dirtiest player in the league by a country mile, is not in his personality. Pronger is HoF because he played in an era where slashing, elbowing and slew foots were 10x more common. If he played in the last 5-6 years, he'd be a nobody or be forced to re-invent his style. 

Just now, stawns said:

you realize that Chris Pronger is in the Hall of Fame, right?  He's not some scrub, he's one of the best defensemen of all time.  You don't get into the HoF because you're dirty.  If anything, he had to be even better to get in because he was dirty.

Irrelevant whether he is HoF or not, whats relevant is, his style is no longer HoF style of hockey in TODAY'S NHL. He got into the HoF due to his dirty play magnifying his defensive play, as was allowed back then. If there was a time-machine and Pronger was brought into the future of the last 4-5 years, he'd be a nobody because he'd be getting 3-4 minor penalties per game, every game. All those who've watched Pronger know this. Dirtiest. Player. Ever. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

being the dirtiest player in the league by a country mile, is not in his personality. Pronger is HoF because he played in an era where slashing, elbowing and slew foots were 10x more common. If he played in the last 5-6 years, he'd be a nobody or be forced to re-invent his style. 

yoy've lost any shred of credibility, sorry.

Chris Pronger is in the Hall of Fame, there is no argument you can make nullifies that.  Dirty stuff aside, he was one of the most dominat, well rounded players in the 100+ years the NHL has existed.  To say otherwisemakesyou like like an ignorant fool.

Additionally, WD is, in no way, a coach who asks his players to play dirty........isn't more plausible that he was using Pronger, a HoF defenseman, as an example of how to actually play defence as a big man in the NHL?   That never occured to you?

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Irrelevant whether he is HoF or not, whats relevant is, his style is no longer HoF style of hockey in TODAY'S NHL. He got into the HoF due to his dirty play magnifying his defensive play, as was allowed back then. If there was a time-machine and Pronger was brought into the future of the last 4-5 years, he'd be a nobody because he'd be getting 3-4 minor penalties per game, every game. All those who've watched Pronger know this. Dirtiest. Player. Ever. 

In no way am I disputing that Pronger wa a dirty player, he absolutely was.  But he was also, far and away, the one of the very best dman of his generation, or any generation.  in 99-200 he not only won the Norris, he also won the Hart as the league MVP.  But I guess that's because he was dirty

yoy've lost any shred of credibility, sorry.

Chris Pronger is in the Hall of Fame, there is no argument you can make nullifies that.  Dirty stuff aside, he was one of the most dominat, well rounded players in the 100+ years the NHL has existed.  To say otherwisemakesyou like like an ignorant fool.

He was dominant because he was dirty. People were scared of his elbows and his slashes and the number of hands he's broken due to it. Its a big reason why nobody cared when he got permanently injured. Pronger's style is obsolete in modern day NHL - any player with the amount of dirty play as Pronger doesn't get to be a top 4 defenceman in today's league. Hence showing Pronger videos were moronic. 

Additionally, WD is, in no way, a coach who asks his players to play dirty........isn't more plausible that he was using Pronger, a HoF defenseman, as an example of how to actually play defence as a big man in the NHL?   That never occured to you?

There are way better examples of 'how to play big body D-game'  suited for modern day NHL than Pronger. Chara for eg. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

He was dominant because he was dirty. People were scared of his elbows and his slashes and the number of hands he's broken due to it. Its a big reason why nobody cared when he got permanently injured. Pronger's style is obsolete in modern day NHL - any player with the amount of dirty play as Pronger doesn't get to be a top 4 defenceman in today's league. Hence showing Pronger videos were moronic. 

There are way better examples of 'how to play big body D-game'  suited for modern day NHL than Pronger. Chara for eg. 

oy vey

In no way am I disputing that Pronger wa a dirty player, he absolutely was.  But he was also, far and away, the one of the very best dman of his generation, or any generation.  in 99-200 he not only won the Norris, he also won the Hart as the league MVP.  But I guess that's because he was dirty

the dirty played a huge part in his game, just like how chirping played a huge part in Burrows' game. People were afraid of the slashes, elbows, etc. Pronger threw every game and got away with back then. Hence he is a bad example to show today. Its like showing someone example of how be a star shooter by showing them Rocket Richard...sorry, the game has moved on and Pronger's style is a nobody's style today. Bad move from a bad coach. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

being a HoF dman isn't in his personality?

Wrong era D man to use as an example to coach a new player in today’s game..

Wrong era Coach was fired,. Rightfully.

In the mean time we lost a player with a high potential for today’s game.. one I think most want to come back.

Scott Stevens career would not survive either,. His would go the way of Raffi Torres with multiple suspensions.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

you'd take Hughes over Kakko?  I wouldn't.......the Canucks are rich down the middle and thin on the wing........sure, JH could transition, but Kakko is a ntural winger, much, much bigger and probably a better player, on the wing at least.

the canucks are the only team in the league who #1 overall in this draft should be a no-brainer for; the risk of an optics nightmare if/when hughes turns out better than kakko would be too much. to pass on the player who has spent literally years as the projected #1 overall, who plays a more valuable position, and whose brother is already a budding star on your team would be too much to overcome. 

I bet benning takes hughes even if his gut tells him that kakko turns out the better player. 

Archived