The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

25 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

He was dominant because he was dirty. People were scared of his elbows and his slashes and the number of hands he's broken due to it. Its a big reason why nobody cared when he got permanently injured. Pronger's style is obsolete in modern day NHL - any player with the amount of dirty play as Pronger doesn't get to be a top 4 defenceman in today's league. Hence showing Pronger videos were moronic. 

There are way better examples of 'how to play big body D-game'  suited for modern day NHL than Pronger. Chara for eg. 

He was dominant because he was dominant.  The dirty stuff was a very small part.  He was hard on the boards.  Hard on the middle of the ice. And he could chip in offensively.  You just have a blind spot of hatred, have dug in on a very myopic and flawed argument, and here you are to stay.  Pronger was a dirty prick.  And a HELL of a hockey player.  The two are mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

most feared, but also one of the greatest defenders of all time.  Because big players are slower of foot, they need fear to keep opposing players honest.

I do think Nik was developing into a player people worried about, that ANA game was a good example. 

I dunno, I think I'm still pissed at the way it all happened and WIllie is an easy target for me :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

He was dominant because he was dominant.  The dirty stuff was a very small part.  He was hard on the boards.  Hard on the middle of the ice. And he could chip in offensively.  You just have a blind spot of hatred, have dug in on a very myopic and flawed argument, and here you are to stay.  Pronger was a dirty prick.  And a HELL of a hockey player.  The two are mutually exclusive. 

Disagree.

He was dominant because he was dirty. Going into the boards with Pronger meant eating his elbow while battling the puck and never-ending slashes if you won the puck battle and tried to move it. Pronger's game was dependent on his dirty play just like Raffi Torres & Scott Steven's game was dependent on delivering KO blows at high speed in open ice situations, Burrows & Ott's game are dependent/enhanced significantly due to their continuous chirpings, etc. 

Pronger is a bad example to follow in today's game, any decent coach should know that. 

Pronger was suspended for a total of 22 games in his career.

Pronger played 1167 games in his career.

He missed 1.89% of games due to suspension.

Means he was just a hard nosed badass in the eyes of the league 98.11% of the time.

About right.

8 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Disagree.

He was dominant because he was dirty. Going into the boards with Pronger meant eating his elbow while battling the puck and never-ending slashes if you won the puck battle and tried to move it. Pronger's game was dependent on his dirty play just like Raffi Torres & Scott Steven's game was dependent on delivering KO blows at high speed in open ice situations, Burrows & Ott's game are dependent/enhanced significantly due to their continuous chirpings, etc. 

Pronger is a bad example to follow in today's game, any decent coach should know that. 

See this is where you are WAY off base.

You think they showed Tram how to cross check guys in the back of the neck on the boards?  How to throw a sly elbow without getting caught?  How to stomp on ankles?

They showed Tram where to play.  How to use your body to box out the puck.  How to use leverage to clear the net.

You just have a hate on for a guy.  I get it.  But you are wrong.

Just now, xereau said:

See this is where you are WAY off base.

You think they showed Tram how to cross check guys in the back of the neck on the boards?  How to throw a sly elbow without getting caught?  How to stomp on ankles?

They showed Tram where to play.  How to use your body to box out the puck.  How to use leverage to clear the net.

You just have a hate on for a guy.  I get it.  But you are wrong.

i dont think you can find a 10 minute footage of Pronger from anywhere, any team he played for, which does not have liberal amounts of elbowing to the face, slashes to the hands, cross-checks to the backs and slewfoots in the boards. 

I don't have a hate on for the dirtiest big-name player in the NHL of the last 30 years, i simply am saying, he is as dirty as they come an his playstyle is a walking 3-4 penalties per game, every game in the NHL of the last 3-4 years. You wanna show footages of successful NHL d-men who are huge and know how to position themselves and use their leverage, you have better candidates than walking minor penalties in today's league named Pronger.

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

i dont think you can find a 10 minute footage of Pronger from anywhere, any team he played for, which does not have liberal amounts of elbowing to the face, slashes to the hands, cross-checks to the backs and slewfoots in the boards. 

I don't have a hate on for the dirtiest big-name player in the NHL of the last 30 years, i simply am saying, he is as dirty as they come an his playstyle is a walking 3-4 penalties per game, every game in the NHL of the last 3-4 years. You wanna show footages of successful NHL d-men who are huge and know how to position themselves and use their leverage, you have better candidates than walking minor penalties in today's league named Pronger.

Going to bet that they showed him video of WAY more than just Pronger.  But this is all that was mentioned, or has been cherry picked and put way up on a pedestal for people to harp on.  This crusade of yours is unfounded and daft.

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

Going to bet that they showed him video of WAY more than just Pronger.  But this is all that was mentioned, or has been cherry picked and put way up on a pedestal for people to harp on.  This crusade of yours is unfounded and daft.

the bolded parts contradict each other.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think Nik was developing into a player people worried about, that ANA game was a good example. 

I dunno, I think I'm still pissed at the way it all happened and WIllie is an easy target for me :rolleyes: 

Benning shot bullseye too

26 minutes ago, xereau said:

Means he was just a hard nosed badass in the eyes of the league 98.11% of the time.

About right.

For his era...  today is different.

repeat offences..      Tom Wilson,  is bordering on a half season suspension if he offends in the way of dangerous.

26 minutes ago, xereau said:

About right.

the standards of suspension in the league have improved orders of magnitude since the 90s and early 2000s. 
Eyes of the league in one of the worst professionally officiated leagues in the world does not speak for much, really. 

People don't forget

Olli Juolevi

this young man could be rock steady on the blue line for years,not flashy just solid in both ends of the rink.

We certainly could use a defense man or two to chip in a few points because the one we have now (EDLER IS GETTING OLDER) and the rest are lacking in this regard.

Of course we get Hughes at the end of this season who shows great promise ,just to get a few season ticket holders to renew,but we need more and Mr. Benning will I'm sure seek out a few more possible candidates for the job.

The Draft will be kind to us (so is it written ,so shall it be done),

because we are due for some luck.

24 minutes ago, xereau said:

maybe, but look at what Willie just did with Kovalchuck. The guy makes some odd decisions sometimes. There's enough evidence to think Willie did something stupid with Nik. 

45 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe the clip that was shown to him (on auto-loop) was of Pronger trying to detach Kesler's foot with his skate...?  :lol:

Or the tens of thousands of amazing defensive plays he made in his career using his size, strength and reach.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe, but look at what Willie just did with Kovalchuck. The guy makes some odd decisions sometimes. There's enough evidence to think Willie did something stupid with Nik. 

Kovalchuk is allergic to playing defense.  That probably had something to do with it.  I'm also sure it was done with full consultation of the front office

Again, not a Willie fan, but I just don't see how managing the I've time of a player out of condition and showing him video of a HoF dman is so offensive you go back to Russia

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Adding Hughes, Tryamkin and potentially Byram would make this defence much better. But we’re still missing a defenceman that has ‘the shot’ from the point.

Shot from the point is different now, a different era. 

Defensively there are so many Chris Tanev, Chris Russel type players. Who block shot after shot. And, see Torts, whole teams where the team strategy is to zone up, clog the middle and shooting lanes? 

That shooting requires new skills. You have to attack & slip a defensive forward at the blue line. To break in and create a lane. Usually from in closer? Oddly enough, its behemoth Brent Burns, and Morgan Reilly is not small, who are excelling creating their own shooting lanes. Even Shea Weber now relies on a good set up from someone else who has already broken the defensive structure. To get his shot through.

Hughes looks like he can break any zone. Even without a big shot, he could be the guy who takes more shots than anyone.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yep, was just stating from the current defence core whether there is a player that has the shot.

Juolevi is another defenceman that I keep on forgetting that has the potential to become a solid top-four defenceman.

Hopefully. And is also a guy who creates angles.

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Adding Hughes, Tryamkin and potentially Byram would make this defence much better. But we’re still missing a defenceman that has ‘the shot’ from the point.

Lassi Thomson has a bomb of a shot 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

My stepdad is a huge Flyers fan, so I watched most games when i was living at home and I agree. Pronger would have dirty games, but he was just as dominant when he wasn't playing that way too. Positionally solid, had good offensive instincts, and really was just a force on the back end. Still would have been a legendary player even if he wasn't such a greasy dude on the ice. You don't have 10 40+ point seasons as a "defensive defenseman" on pure cheapshots.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Kovalchuk is allergic to playing defense.  That probably had something to do with it.  I'm also sure it was done with full consultation of the front office

Again, not a Willie fan, but I just don't see how managing the I've time of a player out of condition and showing him video of a HoF dman is so offensive you go back to Russia

if Nik had the impression Willie wanted a goon then that would contribute to all the other issues people have raised. 

Archived