The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reason to be excited but hold on,

Bertuzzi44ever

Rather stay modest, humble, patient we don’t want karma or the hockey gods going against us, and if anyone replies to this post just off my thread title without reading what I actually have to say it’s unfortunate because illl bring up fair points and I’ll be able to tell who has and who hasn’t read by the post so I’ll ignore. Soeed reAd fin uou have too!

I am excited for the first

time in awhile but with that excitement comes rational thought.

-every team has good cores, prospects and that doesent always equal success, especially right Away like we are in our development. This is the main point.

On paper were almost set to be a contender. Ugh. This is the worst saying. First of all we totally aren’t we still need st least two more options six forwards,

a few more d and a caoable

goalie and solid backup at the time we are a contender which  trying to hammer

home in here as much as we’d all love it ) I get it due to us having a taste of the finals and wanting to get back here soon)! When contending returns though. It actually has no time line. Here’s why:

And also here is why to the same oroolr

who say in two years we are a contender! Stop this crap people. Even saying in 4 or five years we are a contender is crap. Should be be in a good position, yeah probably and could we be a contender, absoljtely maybe and hopefully even sooner but there’s no guarantees look aroud you. In this league I mean. I’m not saying don’t get excited what I’m saying is this! : ....

its not ea sports where you put a team together and win out it’s  not your beer league, this is a 31 soon to be 32

teamvx league with parity galore and all teams spending to the cap with great  pipelines. So in any given night we can win and we can lose.

i would rather not  want hear we’re gonna be a contender until we either consistently make the playoffs or win a round but you guys can say what you want, I just think you’re setting yourself up for a fire Benning, fire green sad expectations if it doesent come true say next year or the year after..

We should be playoff contenders in the next couole years but barring a miracle run that’s where it should end for now in next 2-3 and if we ever become a cup contender look at how hard it is to do that.

buffalo Arizona Edmonton Carolina

Winnipeg Florida......

What do these 6 teams have in common? All of them like our Canucks now we’re high on most prospect lists for the past decade elite prospects hockey’s future quanthockey etc and do you know how much success they’ve had at becoming contenders since?!

catolina hadn’t made the playoffs in a decade and there d and offense has looked very good at times 

arizona has mad the playoffs twice in the last i don’t know 15 years. 

Edmonton has one playoff year in the last 12 seasons. With the best player in the world and anothe 100 pt player this year.

Bufflo hasn’t made the playoffs in 8 years yet have a core now of dahlin Eichel Reinhart skinner ristolainen pilut/McCabe with great up and comers Mittelstadt olofsson samurlsson ukko pekka luukonen asplund. laaksonen and maybe Nylander (and two first rounders this year)

Florida has had two yes two playoff appearances in twenty years and had yet to win a series since 1996 in the conference finals. Florida also has Barkov hunerfeau dadonoc Trocheck Hoffman bfusyad yandke ekblad and cant get it done either without s great core. So all of this adds to my point about our core and our expectation management.

so with our prospects being top notch just remember what I said above because in the last decade in hockey’s future it hadn’t amounted to anything sustainable quickly, of really ever any time soon after ...but it still can happen, and from the above teams I omitted the Jets because I wanted to mention them here. They’ve had success albeit marginal two playoff runs one wasn’t a run they we re swept but last year was a run to game five of conf. Finals. See how this worked but took time? And it’s the only one of the ones I listed ahoce that has worked!

assuming we’re going to be a contender in a few years because we have great prospects is ridiculous. Every team wants to win as much as us and it’s surely not all about who we have it’s about also how the other team plays and if the chemistry works on the ice,  not just on paper. (Again like a video game) or dxxx

however the fans and management can’t control on the ice, the management can only draft and make moves, developers while us fans can only hope and cheer and be faithful but most of all? Faithful and realistic, which are the main two points I’m trying to hammer home here as we move forward. We’re doing everything I feel we should for the most part and now it’s in the hands of the boys to turn the shop around slowly because it won’t happen over night. Even the leafs have this young core with some vets and still haven’t won a series in fifteen years. So again these things take time

-so yes finally jumping the gun on prospects, seeing what we want to believe rather then what is. This is going to be misunderstood for I stance brock Boeser did look like a Selanne sniper bure at times last year, Pettersen did oook like a getting it together Hebron sedin most of the year, Hughes did have a solid first game against la, but that’s what it was. A solid first game against....la. His move has been praised so much and while

i was happy to see it when I re watch it, it’s really not too different then most good dmen in this league make on any given night. Main difference being Hughes first nhl game and it ended up being an assist to boot. That and the crowd van oohhhinf and aweeing again you have fans who’ve suffered through a lot wanting badly to see players who are special with a kid who is built for today’s game speedy and skillful, with confidence. But again people, patience. It’s been one game agains la I remember how gaga people have gone in the past over bieksa edler  stecher Hutton when they were all new and most not all made expectations but some dropped off a tad and not saying Hughes will because hisnootential id high and as said built for today’s game. It’s judt a reminder we need to wait and see still.

-

-we still don’t sit in a good soot in the standings for the fourth straight year as is, third or fourth last in worst conference, (either swept or lost in 5 or 6 once each with five missed playoff) since 2011 meltdown. Yeah injuries everry team has them and I’ve heard his four years in a row. But it’s okay we’re rebuilding. Is is the term , we can’t change the past as that type of slogan should of come along time ago.

Be patient even the next couple years be excited but most of all the Canuck fan in your heart will thank you if you don’t pht

expectations on them to soon.

thank you for your time, go canucks go!

Think if you're a 'middling' player in a non-trad market(say, Pearson, Hutton, Leivo level perhaps). You're prob just along for the ride(gunning for a good contract or two, etc...)

Now contrast that with being on an ascending, young team, in a puck-crazed, beautiful town. You wanna be part of what you see developing. Perhaps like some tech-nerd getting in with an ideal start-up, software corp(before they explode, & there's stock options, etc...). You're gonna work your assoff, like Bob Gassoff!

I think this is one of the advantages that most Cdn markets prob exploit. If they're trending upwards & their market gets the fever, lots of their 'depth guys' prob put together 2 or 3 of the best yrs in their career. With the prodigies we're bringing in, I'm half-expecting(or 85%?) to see this occur.

You probably made some good points, but I'll respond to the title anyway.

Good luck trying to tell people what to do.   You want to hold on - for good reasons - fill your boots.  Are your reasons really more 'reasonable'?  I'm not sure.

I agree in principal - some good prospects, even what might appear to be 'elite' ones or a high end core - don't make you an inevitable contender - not even close.

But where you somewhat lost me was

"First of all we totally aren’t we still need st least two more options six forwards,

goalie and solid backup"

I can't necessarily buy your shopping list so I'll probably have to proceed at my own pace of excited vs holding on....

46 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Rather stay modest, humble, patient we don’t want karma or the hockey gods going against us, and if anyone replies to this post just off my thread title without reading what I actually have to say it’s unfortunate because illl bring up fair points and I’ll be able to tell who has and who hasn’t read by the post so I’ll ignore. Soeed reAd fin uou have too!

-every team has good cores, prospects and that doesent always equal success, especially right Away like we are in our development. This is the main point.

On paper were almost set to be a contender. Ugh. This is the worst saying. First of all we totally aren’t we still need st least two more options six forwards,

home in here as much as we’d all love it ) I get it due to us having a taste of the finals and wanting to get back here soon)! When contending returns though. It actually has no time line. Here’s why:

who say in two years we are a contender! Stop this crap people. Even saying in 4 or five years we are a contender is crap. Should be be in a good position, yeah probably and could we be a contender, absoljtely maybe and hopefully even sooner but there’s no guarantees look aroud you. In this league I mean. I’m not saying don’t get excited what I’m saying is this! : ....

its not ea sports where you put a team together and win out it’s  not your beer league, this is a 31 soon to be 32

teamvx league with parity galore and all teams spending to the cap with great  pipelines. So in any given night we can win and we can lose.

i would rather not  want hear we’re gonna be a contender until we either consistently make the playoffs or win a round but you guys can say what you want, I just think you’re setting yourself up for a fire Benning, fire green sad expectations if it doesent come true say next year or the year after..

We should be playoff contenders in the next couole years but barring a miracle run that’s where it should end for now in next 2-3 and if we ever become a cup contender look at how hard it is to do that.

Winnipeg Florida......

What do these 6 teams have in common? All of them like our Canucks now we’re high on most prospect lists for the past decade elite prospects hockey’s future quanthockey etc and do you know how much success they’ve had at becoming contenders since?!

catolina hadn’t made the playoffs in a decade and there d and offense has looked very good at times 

Edmonton has one playoff year in the last 12 seasons. With the best player in the world and anothe 100 pt player this year.

Bufflo hasn’t made the playoffs in 8 years yet have a core now of dahlin Eichel Reinhart skinner ristolainen pilut/McCabe with great up and comers Mittelstadt olofsson samurlsson ukko pekka luukonen asplund. laaksonen and maybe Nylander (and two first rounders this year)

Florida has had two yes two playoff appearances in twenty years and had yet to win a series since 1996 in the conference finals. Florida also has Barkov hunerfeau dadonoc Trocheck Hoffman bfusyad yandke ekblad and cant get it done either without s great core. So all of this adds to my point about our core and our expectation management.

so with our prospects being top notch just remember what I said above because in the last decade in hockey’s future it hadn’t amounted to anything sustainable quickly, of really ever any time soon after ...but it still can happen, and from the above teams I omitted the Jets because I wanted to mention them here. They’ve had success albeit marginal two playoff runs one wasn’t a run they we re swept but last year was a run to game five of conf. Finals. See how this worked but took time? And it’s the only one of the ones I listed ahoce that has worked!

assuming we’re going to be a contender in a few years because we have great prospects is ridiculous. Every team wants to win as much as us and it’s surely not all about who we have it’s about also how the other team plays and if the chemistry works on the ice,  not just on paper. (Again like a video game) or dxxx

however the fans and management can’t control on the ice, the management can only draft and make moves, developers while us fans can only hope and cheer and be faithful but most of all? Faithful and realistic, which are the main two points I’m trying to hammer home here as we move forward. We’re doing everything I feel we should for the most part and now it’s in the hands of the boys to turn the shop around slowly because it won’t happen over night. Even the leafs have this young core with some vets and still haven’t won a series in fifteen years. So again these things take time

-so yes finally jumping the gun on prospects, seeing what we want to believe rather then what is. This is going to be misunderstood for I stance brock Boeser did look like a Selanne sniper bure at times last year, Pettersen did oook like a getting it together Hebron sedin most of the year, Hughes did have a solid first game against la, but that’s what it was. A solid first game against....la. His move has been praised so much and while

i was happy to see it when I re watch it, it’s really not too different then most good dmen in this league make on any given night. Main difference being Hughes first nhl game and it ended up being an assist to boot. That and the crowd van oohhhinf and aweeing again you have fans who’ve suffered through a lot wanting badly to see players who are special with a kid who is built for today’s game speedy and skillful, with confidence. But again people, patience. It’s been one game agains la I remember how gaga people have gone in the past over bieksa edler  stecher Hutton when they were all new and most not all made expectations but some dropped off a tad and not saying Hughes will because hisnootential id high and as said built for today’s game. It’s judt a reminder we need to wait and see still.

-

-we still don’t sit in a good soot in the standings for the fourth straight year as is, third or fourth last in worst conference, (either swept or lost in 5 or 6 once each with five missed playoff) since 2011 meltdown. Yeah injuries everry team has them and I’ve heard his four years in a row. But it’s okay we’re rebuilding. Is is the term , we can’t change the past as that type of slogan should of come along time ago.

Be patient even the next couple years be excited but most of all the Canuck fan in your heart will thank you if you don’t pht

I appreciate your call for patience.

I am waiting for your point about rationale thought? Murphy you rambled on without saying anything...

I think the Canucks are on the track to tons of future success the new core EP40, QH, BB, BH are quality players. Canuck fans have reason to be excited. The next Decade will be fun.... I’m guilty of wanting another highend piece, from this years Draft, as I do believe it’s the last real chance at drafting high for the next 10 plus years.

its only the beginning.

but this season doesn’t count as, I consider this season as a season long preseason warmup with meet and greet your fellow core group.

will Canucks be considered a cup contender, only time will tell, but I know it will be fun and exciting hockey to watch.

Anyone who, like moi, that read through  that entire OP should get some kind of reward. I won't criticize your grammar because you may have had another language as your first one, or are from another country. But you do go on, my word. You could have said the same thing in about 5 sentences.

No one is saying we are a contender now. Everyone actually agrees with you. You are fighting a straw man.

But we might be in a couple of years. That's optimistic but certainly possible if everything falls into place. We don't even know what player we will get this draft. Or if Tram will be back. Or if JB lands a bonifide star in FA.

I agree with tempering our expectations (I think this is the point you're trying to get across), but I think at some point we need to make a push. This isn't suggesting we are necessarily ready to compete, but it is good for development of our current players and to see if our current prospects can take it to another level. We will simply have to add the missing pieces via trade/free agency once the core has been built. 

Jokes aside, I think most are cautiously optimistic.

I for one believe that we will be a Playoff team next season and a true contender in three. That's my prerogative. I don't need anyone to tell me what to think or expect but thanks for the opinion as you are entitled to yours as well.

would consider myself cautiously optimistic. I think for the first time in a few years you can feel like the younger prospects are starting to pan out. there are more than just one.

Hughes definitely can skate and pass the puck which i think is a definite need from the back end. I will constantly be concerned about his size, however the skill set he brings is sorely needed.

We still need to find two more D men that can handle the bigger players in the west and a Top line left winger for Petey and Boes.

Horvat needs some players on his line that can skate and bury the puck. So I am still thinking we are three players away from being a strong team in the west.

We may draft one of those three this year. Maybe we can get a free agent to come here for a reasonable sum and term. We are still a few years away but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Take Edmonton.  They have the best 1-2-3 center punch of any team in the NHL (which includes the best player in the NHL), and a few highly touted prospects and they are not even a playoff team - let alone a contender.

We have reason for optimism because now we have a handful of very skilled players too, but we are also lacking the extra pieces needed to push us into being a good team.  Some will come from our (better than Edmonton) prospect pool but let's not kid ourselves into thinking pool is filled with sure-fire high end talent; it isn't. We have a lot of middling talent on our roster and likely in our prospect pool, and what we really need is more high end talent in both.  I do believe we have better goaltending than Edmonton and a bit better of a bottom 6.  But we will need to continue to draft well and perhaps dip into free agency to get a piece or two but without that we're really no better right now talent-wise than they are.  In fact, if you look at the scoring of their top players it far exceeds that of our own.

Now perhaps it isn't really fair to compare ourselves to Edmonton because despite a stupid array of draft selections the are perennial NHL laughing stock, but the fact remains that a team is only as good as it's completeness from top to bottom and we are a few key pieces away before anyone can even think of bringing up the word "contender".  It also takes good coaching, hard work, team ethic and buy-in, confidence, health (a big one for us), and maybe some luck.  Lots of pieces need to fall into place.

Don't get me wrong - I am excited to see our talent level rise but my optimism is contingent on Benning making the right moves going forward. Otherwise, we're a wildcard position team.

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Winnipeg Florida......

-

So if i read that right your saying a markstrom/demko duo sucks? 

And my thought is 3 years, cap is better with the two louie's off the books and frees up money for raises and a replacement for LE although that could be someone already here. 

3 yrs tops... 

You can use other teams as examples but that doesn't mean it's going to be that way here. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Stay the course, build through the draft. 

And a trade or 2 and keep it all competitive, keep roster guys on their toes and looking over their shoulders so taking nights off becomes a loss of ice time without worry of losing games on the coaches mind and a consequence that a player would hate.

What's that, even a President's Trophy winning team who lead many statistical categories isn't a guarantee of playoff success? Yeah, fans actually know that good prospects and a hot start don't mean much, but thanks.

Archived