The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking a Look at the Benning Drafts From 2014-2018

Elias Pettersson

Only including relevant players either currently on the team or top prospects who have a shot at making the big club:

2014:

#6 Jake Virtanen RW

#36 Thatcher Demko G

#66 Nikita Tryamkin D

2015:

#23 Brock Boeser RW

#66 Guillaume Brisebois D

#149 Adam Gaudette C

2016:

#5 Olli Juolevi D

#64 William Lockwood RW

2017:

#5 Elias Pettersson C

#33 Kole Lind RW

#55 Jonah Gadjovich LW

#64 Michael DiPietro G

#95 Jack Rathbone D

2018:

#7 Quinn Hughes D

#37 Jett Woo D

#68 Tyler Madden C

#130 Toni Utunen D

So just from our drafting alone excluding any trades or free agent signings or prospects traded for current players here is what we have:

Goaltending - 1 high end prospect currently on the roster and 1 very good prospect

Defence - 1 all star prospect currently on the roster, 5 very good prospects and 1 prospect

Centre - 1 generational talent currently on the roster, 1 very good prospect currently on the roster and 1 very good prospect

Right Wing - 1 all star talent currently on the roster, 1 good player currently on the roster and 2 prospects

Left Wing - 1 prospect

So it looks like we filled most of our needs now and into the future in goaltending, defence, centre and possibly right wing.  We probably still need 1 more high end talent on right wing.  The only deficiency as of right now is on left wing, with only 1 prospect in the system.  So Benning in 5 drafts has addressed pretty much the entire roster except left wing simply through the draft.  Some very high end talent, some good roster players and also some good prospects we are still waiting on.

I'd say we are in very good shape now and into the future.  Our left wing is really the only area of concern at the moment.  With veterans like Horvat, Markstrom, Edler and Hutton on the big club, with free agent signings like Stecher, Beagle, Roussel, MacEwen and Sautner, and with trades to bring in the likes of Pearson, Motte, Baertschi, Leivo and Schenn our roster is nearly complete.

We still have one more big draft to come in Vancouver as well as most likely a very active free agency period this summer.  This will determine our future moving forward.  If the stars are aligned and we end up with Hughes or Kakko then our high end talent will be virtually complete.  If Pearson and Baertschi can put together a good season next year and we re-sign Leivo then our left wing position will be solid as well.  And if our kids continue to grow and we keep adding the prospects to our roster that we drafted then this team is virtually complete.  

Of course we still need to get rid of some of the contracts that are holding us back.  Eriksson being the biggest problem right now.  Tanev and Sutter may need to be moved to allow the kids to play, Granlund, Goldobin and Pouliot are all RFA's and decisions need to be made on them.  Personally I wouldn't bring any of them back.  Trade them for picks.  And then we have Spooner and Schaller who most likely won't clear waivers and so will have to be sent down to Utica for a year until their contracts expire to clear roster spots for the young guys.  

At the end of the day if we can have a great draft this year, a good free agency period where we can bring in at least one player and then get rid of some of the excess contracts we have through trade then we should be good to go for next year really.  I don't see any reason why we can't be a playoff team next year.  We are close and we are now young and hungry with some top end talent that other teams are jealous of.  

Most importantly we now have a clear FUTURE.  We saw this with our own eyes the last 2 games in OT.  The FUTURE looked really good in OT really.  The other teams were simply jealous of us...  

Cheers...  :towel:

Benning has been playing the waiting game, and played it well aside from FA. Trades like Burr, Hansen and Baer have accelerated this process, and I’m happy with how it’s looking now. This year should be rather helpful as well to fill the voids. 

Also, I’d add Brassard to our good forward prospect list. 

JB's ability to scout amateur players has never been a question.

I wish I trusted his ability to trade/sign pro-level players as much.

Not that he's harmed the franchise,  far from it,  but you compare his drafts with his signings/trades, well....

5 minutes ago, The Game said:

I think he's done an ok job, Elias and Brock were great picks, but Virtanen and Juolevi were misses. 

Baseball analogy:

Elias is a grand slam

Brock is a 3 run homer

Quinn is, imo at least a triple

Virtanen is a single at least and a triple at best

Ollie hasn't even been to the plate so way too soon to judge

14 minutes ago, The Game said:

I think he's done an ok job, Elias and Brock were great picks, but Virtanen and Juolevi were misses. I wish he wouldn't have traded away so many second rounders though. 

This myth has been beat down so many times.  

18 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Benning has been playing the waiting game, and played it well aside from FA. Trades like Burr, Hansen and Baer have accelerated this process, and I’m happy with how it’s looking now. This year should be rather helpful as well to fill the voids. 

Also, I’d add Brassard to our good forward prospect list. 

you mean Matt Brassard? the defense prospect? lol.. 

Lukas Jasek, Matthew Thiessen are two others that could add value in the future.

Jasek as an energy player in your bottom six with some offence. Good rookie season for him.

and

Thiessen who from all accounts has the tools to be a good goalie but it all depends on his development. Long term prospect but he has the time in the NCAA.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I just hope JB acquires more quality picks for the hometown draft this year. 

Same, its unfortunate we don't have more valuable trade chips. With that said I think there are a few pieces we could move without damaging our team next year.

Sutter (2nd rd pick), Hutton (if Edler resigns, 2nd rd pick), Schaller (6th rd pick), Pearson (not sure the value), Granlund (5th rd pick), Goldobin (Id rather keep but 3rd rd pick)

19 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Same, its unfortunate we don't have more valuable trade chips. With that said I think there are a few pieces we could move without damaging our team next year.

Sutter (2nd rd pick), Hutton (if Edler resigns, 2nd rd pick), Schaller (6th rd pick), Pearson (not sure the value), Granlund (5th rd pick), Goldobin (Id rather keep but 3rd rd pick)

Absolutely. 

I’d trade anything on this team except for EP, QH and BB, regardless of the draft.

For all of the fuss this site makes about the stellar Canucks drafting, you’d think acquiring more draft picks would be more of a consensus opinion on here. 

The draft is my/our Christmas. 

I’m already stoked to see what we get on day one. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Absolutely. 

I’d trade anything on this team except for EP, QH and BB, regardless of the draft.

For all of the fuss this site makes about the stellar Canucks drafting, you’d think acquiring more draft picks would be more of a consensus opinion on here. 

The daft is my/our Christmas. 

I’m already stoked to see what we get on day one. 

haha Im excited too but there are definitely a few more pieces on our team that im not trading just yet. Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat, Demko, Markstrom, Stecher, Gaudette are all on my no trade list. Other guys like Tanev, Roussel, Beagle, Motte and Virtanen I wouldn't trade right now either, due to need or potential going forward. Then again for the right price I would. Baertschi, Eriksson, Spooner, Pouliot are all probably untradeable or in Baertschi case not worth trading due to lack of current value.

I wish fans would stop with the all-or-nothing attitudes towards Virtanen and Juolevi. 

For Virtanen, he certainly did not pan out the way others taken just after him did. That doesn't mean the pick was a complete failure. In 2015, Jersey took Pavel Zacha, that looks to have limited offensive upside. The same can be said of Brett Connolly and Mika Zibanejad. Nikita Filatov is another example. Woof on him. JV is probably slightly below average value for a 6th overall pick, but certainly not a total bust.

I don't think it is too early to say that OJ will not have the same level of production as some of his other first round draft class members, but it is way too early to suggest that he is a complete swing and a miss. Not all paths to the NHL are perfectly linear. 

Decent drafting, but it is pretty hard to excuse misses early in the 1st round.

So far, at least...Virtanen and Juolevo have been misses.

He had been below average on the pro side with his signings.

He may not be the right guy going forward when it will be less aboutndrsfting and more about signing UFAs and making trades to fill out the roster.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Decent drafting, but it is pretty hard to excuse misses early in the 1st round.

So far, at least...Virtanen and Juolevo have been misses.

He had been below average on the pro side with his signings.

He may not be the right guy going forward when it will be less aboutndrsfting and more about signing UFAs and making trades to fill out the roster.

Wadr expecting a defenseman even picked at 5th overall to be an NHL regular at 20 years old is a stretch, that's not even accounting for the injury that ended his season. 

Juolevi is trending well otherwise 19 points in 38 games in Liiga followed by 13 points in 18 games with Utica. Had it not been for injury ending his season he likely finishes the year with the Canucks instead of Brisebois. 

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wadr expecting a defenseman even picked at 5th overall to be an NHL regular at 20 years old is a stretch, that's not even accounting for the injury that ended his season. 

Juolevi is trending well otherwise 19 points in 38 games in Liiga followed by 13 points in 18 games with Utica. Had it not been for injury ending his season he likely finishes the year with the Canucks instead of Brisebois. 

Yeah, he would've been one of the 150 call ups on our defense for sure. He would've surprised a lot of the naysayers around here too IMO. 

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Yeah, he would've been one of the 150 call ups on our defense for sure. He would've surprised a lot of the naysayers around here too IMO. 

I find it absolutely laughable anyone in their right mind writing off a 20 year old defenseman. Ridiculous. 

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I find it absolutely laughable anyone in their right mind writing off a 20 year old defenseman. Ridiculous. 

People did the exact same thing with Bourdon (RIP).  Bourdon was showing signs of developing into the player fans hoped he could be right before tragedy struck.  I see a lot of similarities in style between the two defensemen and their trajectories.  Still think OJ's going to be a very good defenseman for us who can play in any situation with any partner.

Archived