The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PDSF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (P3) Vegas Golden Knights | Sharks win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Sharks in 4
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7
    • Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/13/2019 at 02:30 AM

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't like Vegas, but that was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.  Sure, your pk sucked, but that shouldn't even have been a minor penalty.

Is there a rule that allows refs to review a penalty call?  

Diving fish moves on...

Lets hope the ref are less likely too give them soft calls like these clown... Sharks diving all over the place as usual...

5x2 + 1X5 v 2x2.... rubbish...

Guess Vegas now knows, how it feels like, when you've been robbed....

21 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

What a $&!#ty night of hockey. Two of my most hated teams move onto the 2nd round. 

I'll support you in wanting them destroyed in the next round...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gee, I wonder what it's like to have your series decided on one call......

I feel more proud of the Canucks. Even with Kesler and Burrows the Canucks didn't whine like Vegas did.

That was a legit major.....maybe not a suspension, but a legit call.  The call last night wasn't even a penalty.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't get the hate for Couture.  He's soft-spoken, a hard-working, clean two-way player.  He's ugly, but we have ugly players too.  He is nothing like Marchand.

Diver.... 

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I smell a rule change in the making for a new coaches challenge. No way Vegas or the league allows this, the amount of revenue it just costed the owners is more than enough to push a change. It’s appalling that a call like that could be made without clear evidence of an action. Unless you see it happen you can’t call it a major. 

These refs should never ref another game in the league. And as harsh as that sounds, just think of any other company that has an employee screw up costing a business millions of dollars. I can’t imagine how upset this board would be if that just happened to canucks. 

Think its fair to say the Canucks have been jobbed on more than a few occasions.... 

That said, You're spot on. Of course this board would go off the rails, and rightly so... like when we got jobbed by Sharks diving and their 1001 PP's....

Not only was it not a penalty the guy they sent off didn't even do anything wrong.  It was a push, not even to the head.  Stastny is the one who actually gave him the extra "push" which made him fall and hit his head.  So they called a 5 minute major for a "push" and they called it on the wrong guy. 

The Sharks are done anyways but Vegas had a legit shot at going all the way, especially if Gusev was available for the second round...

From the 2018/19 NHL Rulebook - the referee has the latitude to decide whether the cross check is a minor penalty or a major penalty.  

Rule 59 – Cross-checking

59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.

59.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent.

59.3  Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

59.4  Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by cross-checking.

59.5  Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is assessed for cross-checking, an automatic game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the offending player.

59.6  Fines and Suspensions - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall also be imposed. If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

12 minutes ago, mll said:

From the 2018/19 NHL Rulebook - the referee has the latitude to decide whether the cross check is a minor penalty or a major penalty.  

Rule 59 – Cross-checking

59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.

59.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent.

59.3  Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

59.4  Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by cross-checking.

59.5  Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is assessed for cross-checking, an automatic game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the offending player.

59.6  Fines and Suspensions - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall also be imposed. If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

I'm not blaming the entire series on this call. I wanted SJ to win anyway. But just because the ref can make this call doesnt make it the right call. There has been hundreds of crosschecks of this caliber or worse this year that wasn't called  a major.

All we want is consistency. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gee, I wonder what it's like to have your series decided on one call......

I feel more proud of the Canucks. Even with Kesler and Burrows the Canucks didn't whine like Vegas did.

Yeah. Hearing Gallant and Marchessault bitch and moan is tiresome. Suck on it, Vegas.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not blaming the entire series on this call. I wanted SJ to win anyway. But just because the ref can make this call doesnt make it the right call. There has been hundreds of crosschecks of this caliber or worse this year that wasn't called  a major.

And as hockey fans, we will get consistency..................giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Cup winning teams overcome adversity.  The game was 3-0 when the call was made.  PK better.

Exactly. I seem to remember the Canucks being down to 5 on 3 for 4 minutes this season, and not letting the other team score.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The ref told Gallant it was a cross-check to the head.   

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The ref told Gallant it was a cross-check to the head.   

Guys taking draws are in a vulnerable position.  Eakin, after losing the draw, went after Pavelski.  It was a stupid, and dangerous play by Eakin.  No need to attack the other center on that play.  

Still just PK.  Fleury didn’t play great either. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Guys taking draws are in a vulnerable position.  Eakin, after losing the draw, went after Pavelski.  It was a stupid, and dangerous play by Eakin.  No need to attack the other center on that play.  

Still just PK.  Fleury didn’t play great either. 

Fleury went from world beater, to beaten. Exactly why Pittsburgh traded him.

• Upvote 1