The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, yes and yes.  All 3 are going to be studs.  Rathbone could be the steal of the decade...

Rathbone has not passed Juolevi yet. Rathbone is an impressive prospect, but he hasn't even played a single game in the AHL.  He's going to be great, but let's be real here. Let's see how he handles playing full time against much faster and stronger opponents. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Rathbone has not passed Juolevi yet. Rathbone is an impressive prospect, but he hasn't even played a single game in the AHL.  He's going to be great, but let's be real here. Let's see how he handles playing full time against much faster and stronger opponents. 

I disagree.  I think Rathbone can jump to the NHL as early as next year.  Juolevi is still developing and getting over his injuries.  Juolevi will be in Utica at least one more year.  If Rathbone signs and plays in the AHL next year he will be a star.  He could make the jump to the NHL sooner than Juolevi.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I think he is ahead of Hoglander, Juolevi and DiPietro...

Interesting. Im deciding on who to draft in my fantasy pool I’ll have an opportunity to draft Rathbone or Rafferty. And I figure Raff will play next year, not sure about Rathbone and I’d obviously wanna wait until he’s signed 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I disagree.  I think Rathbone can jump to the NHL as early as next year.  Juolevi is still developing and getting over his injuries.  Juolevi will be in Utica at least one more year.  If Rathbone signs and plays in the AHL next year he will be a star.  He could make the jump to the NHL sooner than Juolevi.

LOL really? Better get put those rose coloured glasses of yours back in the case bud. Theres 2-3 defensemen ahead of Rathbone vying for NHL time next year. Rathbones been good, yes, has he exceeded his draft expectations, yes, but ready to jump to the NHL? Highly unlikely, he's been good but he hasnt been elite, as in lighting the NCAA on fire.  Rathbone will be decent in the AHL but I don't think he's surpassed Juolevi, Rafferty, hell even Brisbois

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I think he is ahead of Hoglander, Juolevi and DiPietro...

Uhm, no, Rathbone is beneath those guys. If anything out of all the guys you mentioned, if Marky bolts, Dipietro could forseeably be backing up Demko next year. Juolevi despite his injuries is far far more developed and will probably see a few games next season. Rathbone is probably, depending who you talk to, is slightly above or slightly below Jett Woo who is defintely below the 3 you mentioned.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Just wait until Rathbone arrives.  He skates and reads the ice like Quinn.  Imagine a Quinn clone.  That should get you more excited than either Rafferty or Lind.  And in case you've never watched Tryamkin play, he hits like Zadorov and skates like Parayko.  Only thing is he's bigger than both of them.  Guys have gotten injured simply running into him.  One time he injured a guy with his arm.  This was when he was playing with the Canucks.  A Rathbone  Tryamkin partnership could be dynamic...

LOL are you kidding me? Ive seen Quinns games in Michigan, don't want to burst your bubble. Rathbone is not in the same realm, the same stratosphere, the same galaxy as Quinn Hughes. Geez your starting to sound like Moj. Your comparisons are laughable. And ya, Ive seen Tryamkin play lots and watched his first game live. But hey you must know better than all of us, after all, you've stated before you've watched every canuck game since the Coliseaum days, supposedly have seen Pavel, Trevor, Igor, those guys play and the only username you can pick for your CDC account is Elias Pettersson LOL

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL are you kidding me? Ive seen Quinns games in Michigan, don't want to burst your bubble. Rathbone is not in the same realm, the same stratosphere, the same galaxy as Quinn Hughes. Geez your starting to sound like Moj. Your comparisons are laughable. And ya, Ive seen Tryamkin play lots and watched his first game live. But hey you must know better than all of us, after all, you've stated before you've watched every canuck game since the Coliseaum days, supposedly have seen Pavel, Trevor, Igor, those guys play and the only username you can pick for your CDC account is Elias Pettersson LOL

very few are. But in JR's case, the scouting reports are now saying he's got an NHL speed and shot, but needs a little more seasoning to be ready for the speed of the NHL. He may just need one AHL season which would be great as far as normal development goes. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His coach has been quoted as saying that he still needs work on the defensive side of his game. I'd rather give him a year to adjust to professional hockey, than rush him.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

His coach has been quoted as saying that he still needs work on the defensive side of his game. I'd rather give him a year to adjust to professional hockey, than rush him.

So does Quinn Hughes, as he himself admits.  Just as Stecher has learned a thing or 2 offensively from Hughes, Quinn needs to take some of Troy's bodywork to heart and not just rely on an active stick

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Neither did Hughes. 
There is a solid chance he doesn’t ever play AHL.   

OJ has watched his stock fall pretty hard over the years.  
Have you seen much of Rathbone?  
The kid is a real talent. 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

So does Quinn Hughes, as he himself admits.  Just as Stecher has learned a thing or 2 offensively from Hughes, Quinn needs to take some of Troy's bodywork to heart and not just rely on an active stick

Yes, but rushing guys who really need more time in the AHL, has been proven to be a bad idea, just look at how long it took Edmonton to drag themselves out of the bottom of the league. Guys will show when they are ready, and my point is, we should trust the opinion of their coaches, over that of fans who are just REALLY excited about seeing a new kid making the team. 

I'm not saying that he won't surprise in training camp, I'm just saying that at this point, Juolevi has been playing trusted minutes in Utica, he's more proven NHL ready. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Neither did Hughes. 
There is a solid chance he doesn’t ever play AHL.   

OJ has watched his stock fall pretty hard over the years.  
Have you seen much of Rathbone?  
The kid is a real talent. 

Hughes is still learning, but he's lightyears ahead of most 20 year olds. OJ will 90% chance make this team out of camp.

OJ is a significantly different defense, they drafted him, not to be flashy, they want him to be able to settle things down, that's what he is being groomed for. He's more of the Tanev replacement, but will likely need a year playing 3rd pairing in NHL. 

Canucks like slowly integrating and let kids show when they are ready for more.

I'm not downplaying Rathbones potential, just saying to curb expectations until we see how he handles higher competition. 

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hughes is still learning, but he's lightyears ahead of most 20 year olds.

OJ will 90% chance make this team out of camp.

Thats not even close to true.  You can’t make up stats.  Lol.  
He has a lot of competition for the limited available spots.   

OJ is a significantly different defense, they drafted him, not to be flashy, they want him to be able to settle things down, that's what he is being groomed for. He's more of the Tanev replacement, but will likely need a year playing 3rd pairing in NHL. 

He really isn’t any kind of special different dman.  And his defence isn’t anything like Tanev.     

Canucks like slowly integrating and let kids show when they are ready for more.

I'm not downplaying Rathbones potential, just saying to curb expectations until we see how he handles higher competition. 

I’m not trying to $&!# on OJ.   Sure I’m losing a bit of faith in him, but he is still young and could turn it around.  

Rathbone has all that great potential without the major injury hang ups.(not as many at least)

26 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Thats not even close to true.  You can’t make up stats.  Lol.  
He has a lot of competition for the limited available spots.   

He really isn’t any kind of special different dman.  And his defence isn’t anything like Tanev.     

I’m not trying to $&!# on OJ.   Sure I’m losing a bit of faith in him, but he is still young and could turn it around.  

Rathbone has all that great potential without the major injury hang ups.(not as many at least)

I think you're taking an "opinion" way too personally. 

38 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

jonah hill ok GIF

We are all just speculating on what will happen, I'm sure Benning has better insight than any of us.

I still expect that Rathbone will sign with us this spring or summer, depending on their playing schedule. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We are all just speculating on what will happen, I'm sure Benning has better insight than any of us.

I still expect that Rathbone will sign with us this spring or summer, depending on their playing schedule. 

We need Bone now.  He’d be our fourth best D man.