The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need Bone now.  He’d be our fourth best D man.  

Not sure, I think he needs to show that he can play professional hockey before we jump to putting him in the NHL. Again, that's my opinion, he might show more when put with better players as well.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not sure, I think he needs to show that he can play professional hockey before we jump to putting him in the NHL. Again, that's my opinion, he might show more when put with better players as well.

Lots said similar about Huggy Bear.  Then, as soon as he stepped on the ice, it was clear he was by far our best D man.  Bone will prove he’s better than guys like Fants, Benn, and Stecher.  Bone would quickly be taking minutes from Myers too.  He’s ready now, and we could definitely use him.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lots said similar about Huggy Bear.  Then, as soon as he stepped on the ice, it was clear he was by far our best D man.  Bone will prove he’s better than guys like Fants, Benn, and Stecher.  Bone would quickly be taking minutes from Myers too.  He’s ready now, and we could definitely use him.  

Would LOVE to see him be able to do it, Alf, his coach has said that he needs more work on defensive zone coverage, but time will tell.

Considering that we have about 3 open contracts right now, my guess is, that one gets used for Tryamkin, I'm not sure what happens to our count when Jett Woo gets activated, I believe his contract doesn't currently count, I think it slides.

So, that leaves us with 2 spots, and probably some other UFA's that they are targeting out of college as well. I think they will have Rathbone sign a PTO with Utica so that he can play there for the rest of the season and then sign him to an ELC during the summer, that takes effect on July 1st. Just my guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would LOVE to see him be able to do it, Alf, his coach has said that he needs more work on defensive zone coverage, but time will tell.

Considering that we have about 3 open contracts right now, my guess is, that one gets used for Tryamkin, I'm not sure what happens to our count when Jett Woo gets activated, I believe his contract doesn't currently count, I think it slides.

So, that leaves us with 2 spots, and probably some other UFA's that they are targeting out of college as well. I think they will have Rathbone sign a PTO with Utica so that he can play there for the rest of the season and then sign him to an ELC during the summer, that takes effect on July 1st. Just my guess.

Our D next year might look a lot different than now.  Could see:  Rafferty, Tryamkin, OJ, and Bone.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our D next year might look a lot different than now.  Could see:  Rafferty, Tryamkin, OJ, and Bone.  

no chance they are all on the Canucks roster next season. I think JB needs to dump some bad contracts and he might use a couple of the players you mentioned as add ons for teams to take on our overpaid contracts we need to shed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

no chance they are all on the Canucks roster next season. I think JB needs to dump some bad contracts and he might use a couple of the players you mentioned as add ons for teams to take on our overpaid contracts we need to shed

That’s a scary thought.  JB better choose the right guys as sweetener.  Can’t afford mistakes.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s a scary thought.  JB better choose the right guys as sweetener.  Can’t afford mistakes.  

Hard to dump bad contracts without giving up something good, its the cost of getting yourself out of BAD signings you make! I would rather us lose some more assets this off season now so we can maybe sign and assemble a decent team going forward. Then hope we draft well with the few picks we have and then down the road if we become a cup threat we can go buy a rental at the TDL in future years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hard to dump bad contracts without giving up something good, its the cost of getting yourself out of BAD signings you make! I would rather us lose some more assets this off season now so we can maybe sign and assemble a decent team going forward. Then hope we draft well with the few picks we have and then down the road if we become a cup threat we can go buy a rental at the TDL in future years

With Bracket jumping ship, what are the chances our draft continues to unearth gems? 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Bracket jumping ship, what are the chances our draft continues to unearth gems? 

Has Brackett officially left the Canucks yet? Boneheaded move by the organization to let him go if they decide to do that. 

• Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Has Brackett officially left the Canucks yet? Boneheaded move by the organization to let him go if they decide to do that. 

I think Alf is jumping the gun on saying that..... Last I heard they were still in negotiations but I am sure a lot of other teams would be interested in his services.

26 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think Alf is jumping the gun on saying that..... Last I heard they were still in negotiations but I am sure a lot of other teams would be interested in his services.

He should of been promoted to Assistant GM at minimum imo instead of that other guy. Or better yet, move JB to President and still have a hand in scouting, Brackett to GM, Fire Weisbrod and promote Ryan Johnson from Utica to Assistant GM?

Anyways...maybe I need to ask in the Utica thread but wanting to hear a Defensive zone asessment of Rafferty if possible!?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Bracket is all but gone.  If there was a new contract for him it would be signed already.  He’s a rebuild expert.  When JB announced our rebuild was over, and started trading away picks/prospects Bracket was done.  He will go to a team that is rebuilding and has lots of picks as an assistant GM.  Huge loss for us though.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bracket is all but gone.  If there was a new contract for him it would be signed already.  He’s a rebuild expert.  When JB announced our rebuild was over, and started trading away picks/prospects Bracket was done.  He will go to a team that is rebuilding and has lots of picks as an assistant GM.  Huge loss for us though.  

That remains to be seen Alf.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You've been wrong many times before, and this is another example.

Contract negotiations take a lot longer than what people seem to think. Just because he hasn't signed doesn't mean it won't get done.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

On 3/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, Devron44 said:

Would you say that outside podz that Rathbone is our best prospect now?

Flip a coin on Rafferty and Rathbone among the D. Unless Juolevi can improve his fitness and his skating I can't see how Juolevi can play in the NHL. Woo is an interesting player, but I think he needs at least year in Utica.

55 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Flip a coin on Rafferty and Rathbone among the D. Unless Juolevi can improve his fitness and his skating I can't see how Juolevi can play in the NHL. Woo is an interesting player, but I think he needs at least year in Utica.

Rafferty will be challenging next year along with Juolevi.

Part of the issues i have with wanting to sign Edmundson, how many LHD will we have?

Hughes, Edler,Benn, Juolevi, Brisebois, possibly Tryamkin next year aswell.

With Rafferty and Myers signed on the right side, Tanev ufa and Stecher rfa. Woo and Chatfield on the right side aswell.

Need atleast 1 top 2 pairing RHD and some experienced depth.

If the canucks miss the playoffs and we sign rathbone he'd get a few games in (nhl paycheque) but next year he would start in utica just to get pro experience and we be exempt from waivers? 

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Is his skating bad? I always thought it was decent