The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Is his skating bad? I always thought it was decent 

It is decent. Its not explosive like Hughes, Rafferty  or Rathbone, but its solid, he has good cruising speed.

He's being positioned and groomed to be a shutdown guy. Benning has said that a number of times since he drafted him. They hope that he will be the guy that they can put out there and settle the game down when needed.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It is decent. Its not explosive like Hughes, Rafferty  or Rathbone, but its solid, he has good cruising speed.

He's being positioned and groomed to be a shutdown guy. Benning has said that a number of times since he drafted him. They hope that he will be the guy that they can put out there and settle the game down when needed.

AKA Edler 2.0 I am guessing. It would be someone good for OJ to model after. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

AKA Edler 2.0 I am guessing. It would be someone good for OJ to model after. 

I'd say Edler is more physical and better in his own end. OJ arguably has better puck moving/offense (at the same stage of development).

And once again, there's nothing 'wrong' with his skating. He has a smooth, powerful stride and good (but not elite) speed. He's not a waterbug like Hughes with elite edge work, cuts etc. He's good skater, just not a 'great' one.

IMO, his ceiling is a slightly more offensive Hampus Lindolm, his basement Olli Maatta +/-

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd say Edler is more physical and better in his own end. OJ arguably has better puck moving/offense (at the same stage of development).

And once again, there's nothing 'wrong' with his skating. He has a smooth, powerful stride and good (but not elite) speed. He's not a waterbug like Hughes with elite edge work, cuts etc. He's good skater, just not a 'great' one.

IMO, his ceiling is a slightly more offensive Hampus Lindolm, his basement Olli Maatta +/-

Edler put up 20 points in the NHL including 8 goals at the same age as Juolevi. Unfortunately OJ's basement is pretty low at the moment due to injuries, he could become a 6/7th Dman in the NHL if he has another serious injury, but his ceiling is still high as well at the moment. Hard to judge how his game will translate to the NHL until he actually plays a game there. 

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Edler put up 20 points in the NHL including 8 goals at the same age as Juolevi. Unfortunately OJ's basement is pretty low at the moment due to injuries, he could become a 6/7th Dman in the NHL if he has another serious injury, but his ceiling is still high as well at the moment. Hard to judge how his game will translate to the NHL until he actually plays a game there. 

Note I said stage of development, not age.

OJ is +/- 1.5 years behind on development/play time right now. Yes, due to injuries.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Note I said stage of development, not age.

OJ is +/- 1.5 years behind on development/play time right now. Yes, due to injuries.

Just because you miss that development time doesnt mean you are always able to make that lost time up, especially if more injuries happen. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Just because you miss that development time doesnt mean you are always able to make that lost time up, especially if more injuries happen. 

It doesn't mean you can't either. Nor am I sure what that has to do with my original point?

Is Rafferty eligible to play any games with the Canucks during the regular season...was he papered or is he only able to play for the Comets the rest of the season?

Reason I ask is: If Canucks are thinking of possibly trading or moving on from Stecher I would have thought they would have wanted to see how Rafferty fared at the NHL level this season for a stretch of time before making that decision...potentially

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is Rafferty eligible to play any games with the Canucks during the regular season...was he papered or is he only able to play for the Comets the rest of the season?

Reason I ask is: If Canucks are thinking of possibly trading or moving on from Stecher I would have thought they would have wanted to see how Rafferty fared at the NHL level this season for a stretch of time before making that decision...potentially

We will need to be playing meaningless games for guys from the farm/college to get games.  The way things are going, that might happen sooner than later.  I’m predicting we see guys from Utica and college get games over the final five.  We will be cooked by then.  

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, Alflives said:

We will need to be playing meaningless games for guys from the farm/college to get games.  The way things are going, that might happen sooner than later.  I’m predicting we see guys from Utica and college get games over the final five.  We will be cooked by then.  

They have resisted bringing up Rafferty all year even though he is clearly the cream of the Utica crop. Someone on the thread mentioned player protection or financial reasons for that my foggy brain can’t remember which.

• Cheers 1

On 3/9/2020 at 1:06 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Rafferty will be challenging next year along with Juolevi.

Part of the issues i have with wanting to sign Edmundson, how many LHD will we have?

Hughes, Edler,Benn, Juolevi, Brisebois, possibly Tryamkin next year aswell.

With Rafferty and Myers signed on the right side, Tanev ufa and Stecher rfa. Woo and Chatfield on the right side aswell.

Need atleast 1 top 2 pairing RHD and some experienced depth.

If the canucks miss the playoffs and we sign rathbone he'd get a few games in (nhl paycheque) but next year he would start in utica just to get pro experience and we be exempt from waivers? 

At this point, Juolevi is just not good enough. If he improves his skating and his fitness... maybe. I think the Canucks will make a deal with Tryamkin. We need a D that can play a physical game and still make good outlet plays - that puts him ahead of Fantenburg and Benn and miles ahead of the Juolevi of today. Defensively, Brisebois is way ahead of Juolevi - Juolevi brings decent O from the D, but is that what we need when Hughes and Edler are ahead of him?

24 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

At this point, Juolevi is just not good enough. If he improves his skating and his fitness... maybe. I think the Canucks will make a deal with Tryamkin. We need a D that can play a physical game and still make good outlet plays - that puts him ahead of Fantenburg and Benn and miles ahead of the Juolevi of today. Defensively, Brisebois is way ahead of Juolevi - Juolevi brings decent O from the D, but is that what we need when Hughes and Edler are ahead of him?

Edler will slowly be pushed out by OJ starting next season.

Hughes Myers

Edler Rafferty 

Juolevi 

Tryamkin

Benn

If it wasn't for Fantenberg being surprisingly decent OJ would have been called up already.

Oj is too important to Utica because he and Rafferty play huge minutes and can't afford them to be called up to sit in the press box with the canucks( chatfield brisebois)

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/30/olli-juolevi/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting bit of info from a 1040 interview today.

Rafferty played on the left side most of his college career, so is completely comfortable on that side.  That gives us a lot of extra versatility and increases his chance of being on the roster when next season opens (assuming we don't trade him away of course).

You don't want two rookies on the same pairing (Green would give them very little ice time)... so having Rafferty and Myers could be an interesting option for offensive zone faceoffs, but their overall minutes being more limited with no PP or PK time.

We need another defensive guy with Hughes, Tanev if we can get him signed for a reasonable deal and can shed other cap.  

Edler can probably carry a partner like Tryamkin... Edler would get more minutes with special teams play, ideally an Edler Tanev PK if you can wrangle it.

Hughes-XXX (Tanev?)

Edler-XXX (Tryamkin?)

Rafferty-Myers
Benn/Tryamkin

Edited by Provost

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Interesting bit of info from a 1040 interview today.

Rafferty played on the left side most of his college career, so is completely comfortable on that side.  That gives us a lot of extra versatility and increases his chance of being on the roster when next season opens (assuming we don't trade him away of course).

You don't want two rookies on the same pairing (Green would give them very little ice time)... so having Rafferty and Myers could be an interesting option for offensive zone faceoffs, but their overall minutes being more limited with no PP or PK time.

We need another defensive guy with Hughes, Tanev if we can get him signed for a reasonable deal and can shed other cap.  

Edler can probably carry a partner like Tryamkin... Edler would get more minutes with special teams play, ideally an Edler Tanev PK if you can wrangle it.

Hughes-XXX (Tanev?)

Edler-XXX (Tryamkin?)

Rafferty-Myers
Tryamkin

Personally I'd want us to sign an Edmundson/Dillon and have Rafferty start out as the 7th D. He'd still get a a bunch of games. It would require some complacency buyouts/cap shedding. Would make us a stronger defensively and deeper team.

That sort of versatility in Tryamkin and Rafferty is nice to have though. Helps us when guys go down.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Dillon/Edmundson-Tryamkin

Rafferty

Could swap out Myers/Tanev and make Hughes-Myers an offensive pairing, they've looked good when Green's put them together whenever we are trailing. Edler-Tanev has always been a strong pairing for us and Dillon/Edmundson-Tryamkin could handle some of their defensive duties and free them up a bit. They'd be a pretty physical pairing Also could throw Tanev down with Edmundson/Dillon to make a defensive pairing and put Tryamkin with Edler if we want Tryamkin to have more of a stable partner.

• 1 month later...

I read this article today and thought it has to be encouraging to Rafferty who as well know is basically blind in one eye

HOFer Mike Gartner discusses playing with 1 good eye: 'I was pretty limited'
The Score | May 12
 0  0

Mike Gartner ended his 19-year NHL career as one of the most prolific goal-scorers and fastest skaters in league history, but what made his feats even more remarkable is that he played while essentially blind in one eye.

Gartner struggled his entire career with amblyopia, also known as lazy eye, but largely kept it to himself.

"My left eye is my dominant eye, I have 20-20 vision in my left eye and 20/200 vision in my right eye," Gartner told The Athletic's Eric Duhatschek. "If I cover my left eye and look out of my right eye, I couldn't even drive my car. It didn't really come into play until I turned pro, at which point I had to take an eye test."

On 4/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Personally I'd want us to sign an Edmundson/Dillon and have Rafferty start out as the 7th D. He'd still get a a bunch of games. It would require some complacency buyouts/cap shedding. Would make us a stronger defensively and deeper team.

That sort of versatility in Tryamkin and Rafferty is nice to have though. Helps us when guys go down.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Dillon/Edmundson-Tryamkin

Rafferty

Could swap out Myers/Tanev and make Hughes-Myers an offensive pairing, they've looked good when Green's put them together whenever we are trailing. Edler-Tanev has always been a strong pairing for us and Dillon/Edmundson-Tryamkin could handle some of their defensive duties and free them up a bit. They'd be a pretty physical pairing Also could throw Tanev down with Edmundson/Dillon to make a defensive pairing and put Tryamkin with Edler if we want Tryamkin to have more of a stable partner.

When I first saw Rafferty's stats, I was hyped to see him in the NHL but, my excitement has been, somewhat, tempered since then.

Most articles on him do not speak glowingly of his skills or abilities.

Most speak of him as a really good AHLer but may never have the same success at the NHL level.

Sound familiar?

Reid Boucher has always been great at lower levels but could never transfer the same success to the NHL.

While Rafferty's stats look encouraging, his hockey IQ isn't considered to be high. He doesn't read the play at a particulary high rate. He often defers the play to his defensive partner or a near forward. Most of his longer outlet passes, more often then not, fail and frequently turn into opposition rushes, many offering scoring chances. 

He's seen more as a support defender than a rushing catalyst. 

His shot is not particularly strong and shouldn't be considered an effective weapon from the point.

I now see a player that should, maybe, spend another season in " The A" to hone his skills and improve his mobility.

I am encouraged by his progress but' to say he's NHL ready may be a bit premature..