The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

You guys are putting way too much thought into my comments about Rafferty.  This isn't specifically about Rafferty, it's about Benning always being on the side of negotiating from a position of weakness.  It's about going 4 years to get Beagle signed. It's about having to throw in a 2nd and a 4th along with McCann to get Gudbranson.  It's about never convincing a player to waive his no trade clause.  Let's not forget that he was paying Sam Gagner over $3M a year to play for the Toronto Marlies against his own AHL team in a concession to his agent when sending him to the minors.  This is a small list of examples of weak negotiating skills and I'd like to hear some examples of where Benning showed strong negotiating skills.

I get that hfboards is primarily filled with Benning haters just as this board has a lot of Benning supporters.  But I don't get how anyone can objectively think that Benning is good at negotiating contracts and trades and why so many give him a pass on that.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

The bottom line is, I would rather have the player than not have the player.

If burning the year from the ELC is the difference between that player choosing Vancouver or not, I think that is as straight forward as it gets. But I'm sure with how certain you are about Bennings abilities, you likely have insight into these negotiations.

If you cannot grasp that, I can see why you're pulling quotes from HF.

• Upvote 1

i look at it differently. JB knew this team was too easy to play against, last year. his group determined that beagle and roussel were players that were what they needed, they didn’t want to pay them as much or to that long a term, but other teams wanted them too. they could have dropped out of the bidding and lacked what they bring, but they decided that they were the guys they wanted. they can both be traded before their contracts are up, i think it is a win/win situation. with sutter being out injured so much, beagle has held our shut down line strong. i love both those guys. there are two ways of looking at everything. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

You guys are putting way too much thought into my comments about Rafferty.  This isn't specifically about Rafferty, it's about Benning always being on the side of negotiating from a position of weakness.  It's about going 4 years to get Beagle signed. It's about having to throw in a 2nd and a 4th along with McCann to get Gudbranson.  It's about never convincing a player to waive his no trade clause.  Let's not forget that he was paying Sam Gagner over $3M a year to play for the Toronto Marlies against his own AHL team in a concession to his agent when sending him to the minors.  This is a small list of examples of weak negotiating skills and I'd like to hear some examples of where Benning showed strong negotiating skills.

I get that hfboards is primarily filled with Benning haters just as this board has a lot of Benning supporters.  But I don't get how anyone can objectively think that Benning is good at negotiating contracts and trades and why so many give him a pass on that.

Listen pleeease just answer my one question. Can you name one team that signs college free agents that doesn't burn a year of their contract? Just ONE please. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

Listen pleeease just answer my one question. Can you name one team that signs college free agents that doesn't burn a year of their contract? Just ONE please. 

I don't think he is going to answer that any more than he is going to explain how one negotiates a good deal from the wrong side of a bidding war.

• Cheers 1

Uhh ok bro's but how about that Brogan guy?

Liked what I saw from him, he looks pretty solid. Made some nice skill plays with Boeser today. Seems like a confident guy in his interviews. 

I could see him in training camp playing his way into the lineup for opening night next year. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

You asked for one so here is one.  Joe Duszak signed a two year ELC with the Leafs starting with the 2019-20 season and an ATO with the Marlies for the remainder of this season.  Duszak is considered a higher end prospect than either Teves or Rafferty.

The fact is many drafted and understand NCAA players every March and April sign ELCs beginning the next season and play in the AHL at the end of the current season.  I'm not just sitting here making this stuff up.

5 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

People are responding because making mountains out of molehills seems to be a full time sport for some. Can you name one example where a club loses a player because they burned off a year of waiver exemption, then the said player went on to become an impact player for his next team?  If there isn't a single instance then why is this even a discussion?  You used Rafferty/ Teves as an example of Benning giving away the store.  Now you're saying that move isn't a big deal, but maybe these other ones are?

How convenient is it to forget that Burrows, Bieksa and Hansen waived their NTC, or that Benning got Granlund for Shinkaruk, Pearson for Gudbranson, Leivo for Carcone, and Baertschi for a second, or that Horvat is signed for $5.5m a year until 2023.  What about McPhee trading a 18 year old Forsberg for a 32 year old Erat, or Treliving signing Neal to $5.75m x 5 years, or Yzerman re-signing Callahan to $5.8m x 6 years (with a NMC, no less).  It's a minor miracle that these guys ever got a job in the NHL.

Please illustrate the actual impact on the Canucks based on where in the AHL Gagner plays.  If it makes no difference then it's another moot point.  He was available for call-ups whenever needed.  Benning's job is to consider the effect each move will have on the Canucks.  And unless you're privy to what other offers Beagle had on the table, how do you know what was needed to get him signed?  He's the only reason that Horvat doesn't have to take every single D zone faceoff right now.  Without him, the other options would be Pettersson, Gaudette and... Granlund.  No, thank you.  

Why bother with reason? Blokes like that will eventually meander to the HFHater world to reaffirm their delusions...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

You asked for one so here is one.  Joe Duszak signed a two year ELC with the Leafs starting with the 2019-20 season and an ATO with the Marlies for the remainder of this season.  Duszak is considered a higher end prospect than either Teves or Rafferty.

The fact is many drafted and understand NCAA players every March and April sign ELCs beginning the next season and play in the AHL at the end of the current season.  I'm not just sitting here making this stuff up.

:towel::frantic:

He found one!!!!

:emot-parrot:

This changes everything...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

So apparently we can't disagree about the Canucks management without adding in personal insults?

Insults seem the reserve of that OTHER site. I'd guess 80-85% of CDC'ers are positive(on balance) for JB's tenure, thus far. Personally tired of the online-abuse JB has received, when he's probably assembled our best young core in the franchise's 5 decades.

A lot of Comet fans seem bitter too..but the cascade of injuries tends to make crap roll downhill. Better times ahead, is what we're all left hoping.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

You don't always have a choice on whether you are drafting from a strength or a weakness. It's all about the situation. Benning hasn't had the chance to trade from a stronger standpoint because we've been in a rebuild since he came here. He's had to clean up the mess left behind by Gillis. You want strength in trades? Get us better players and pieces that we don't actually need but other teams need. THEN we can talk about being in a strength position.

So you want to complain about strength and weakness? Change the past 5 years. Make it so we never had to rebuild. Make it so we actually have control over what we have and what we can get. Make it so that we don't need the top players from Utica in order to play well. Make it so that players want to come here because there are exciting things here (like how it's just starting now).

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Bo,s contract is a steel

• Upvote 1