Sign in to follow this  
GoldenAlien

Brogan Rafferty | D

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Really like your forward combos and I like that you have Tryamkin and Rafferty on the back end. However, I think we have to let Tanev go. He isn't taking a discount on salary or term to stay. Will command 5x5,Often injured and only wasn't because of Hughes. If is tough tho because who replaces him right? I'd like to see us aggressively pursue via trade maybe Ryan Pulock( needs new contract but could be had for 4.8-5.25 ish on a long term deal), Brett Pesce( cost controlled 4 years @ 4.025)  or Damon Severson (cost controlled 3 years @ 4.16). Maybe dangle Juolevi/Rathbone + Virtanen or something along those lines. In that case Leivo bumps up to the third line or Kole Lind from Utica looks close

 

 

Hughes-Myers

Edler-__________

Tryamkin-Rafferty

 

 

More likely Tanev didn’t spend much time on the sideline because he and the trainers made radical changes to his equipment - which made shot blocking less dangerous for Tanev this year than last year - also reflected in Tanev’s willingness to block shots - much more necessary covering for Hughes than for Edler. Last year 122 blocks in 55 games - this year 159 in 69 games.  Hughes is a terrific offensive player, a huge benefit for us, but having Tanev with him helps Hughes game more than it helps Tanev’s game - paired primarily with Hughes at even strength, Tanev is a plus player and Hughes is a minus player. On attack, Hughes does things nobody else on the Canucks can do, defensively Tanev gets things done that Hughes doesn’t - doesn’t mean Hughes won’t find a way to do those things, he is a brilliant D - probably the best to wear a Canucks uniform next to Paul Reinhart - but he doesn’t do them yet and I’d rather have Hughes mostly concerned with creating offence than trying to stop Draisaitl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly I would have been shocked had he not made the all rookie team. He has skills that seperate him from the "rest"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Frankly I would have been shocked had he not made the all rookie team. He has skills that seperate him from the "rest"

He should be on the All-AHL team as well, whether it be 1st or 2nd team.  Kid had a heck of a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 4:59 PM, vannuck59 said:

Rafferty will make the Canucks out of trading camp see you later Stecher.

Assuming we don’t sign Tanev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Rafferty kill penalties with the Comets? I tried searching this topic but couldn't find an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Did Rafferty kill penalties with the Comets? I tried searching this topic but couldn't find an answer.

From what I heard and read here, seems like his more of a PP specialist and offensive force. Meanwhile OJ plays in all situations including the PK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Did Rafferty kill penalties with the Comets? I tried searching this topic but couldn't find an answer.

Rafferty rarely killed penalties at the beginning of the year, but more so toward the end. I can’t prove that with stats (the AHL does not produce that stat) just my observation of the games.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

From what I heard and read here, seems like his more of a PP specialist and offensive force. Meanwhile OJ plays in all situations including the PK.

 

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rafferty rarely killed penalties at the beginning of the year, but more so toward the end. I can’t prove that with stats (the AHL does not produce that stat) just my observation of the games.

It's almost a guarantee then that Tanev stays to be part of the RHD on the PK with Myers next season unless we bring in someone through free agency. There's no way we run with Stecher on the second unit if Rafferty can't share the load. Even if he can, I doubt we take a chance on that while trying to compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rafferty is the chnace to bring in a lower Cap hit and the team certainly knows that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be wrong but doesn't Rafferty have a one year, one way contract for next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I may be wrong but doesn't Rafferty have a one year, one way contract for next year?

You just have to check out Cap Friendly to see: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brogan-rafferty

 

If he isn't quite ready the Canucks won't balk at paying him his full salary in the AHL.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Rafferty is the chnace to bring in a lower Cap hit and the team certainly knows that

Likely to replace Stecher's cap hit I'd assume, brings more size as well to the bottom pairing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting........for all the hype and accolades for BR, the Comets name Breezer as their best dman for the season 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stawns said:

Interesting........for all the hype and accolades for BR, the Comets name Breezer as their best dman for the season 

I really like Rafferty, but Brisebois was their best defensive DMan. Brisebois rarely makes a wrong step defensively, at least in the AHL, and he got better all through the year. Rafferty is by far the best in Utica offensively and still brings the second best +/- (+17) on the team after Brisebois (+21).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, MrCanuck94 said:

 

It's almost a guarantee then that Tanev stays to be part of the RHD on the PK with Myers next season unless we bring in someone through free agency. There's no way we run with Stecher on the second unit if Rafferty can't share the load. Even if he can, I doubt we take a chance on that while trying to compete.

I believe the Canucks would like to keep Tanev, if they can, he is the best defensive D man on the team, and a very good pairing with Hughes. The question is fragility, but he missed little time this season. Whether that is because of being paired with Hughes, as one person suggested, or because the training staff changed his gear as suggested on a tv interview, or just dumb luck is up to the Canucks to wager on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.