The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I like the mix of young guys pushing for spots next year.  

Teves

Rafferty

Juolevi

Hughes

Woo

Sautner 

Brisbiois 

Etc   

A bottom up defence makeover.  Cheap contracts and guys who can travel waiver free between the AHL and NHL. 

Resign Edler and start chopping dead weight.  Hopefully we see one or two more guys replaced thru competition.  

Yeah it's shaping up nicely. Add a support vet or two in free agency eventually replacing Tanev whom we move this year IMO (and/or aim to get Tryamkin back) and move Hutton for a righty either this summer or during the season, add Hughes at the start, Juolevi a couple months in, a few young guys you noted pushing for spots and available as call ups...

1*0wZc53qZye1hU6IGar8GjQ.jpeg

1 hour ago, teepain said:

Edler isnt signed yet for a reason, or it would have been done already. Benning is looking at all the options before that deal is signed

Pretty sure it's just Edler's management and Benning both doing their due diligence to get the best deal for their respective sides.

Benning's likely trying to keep term to 2-3 years, no NMC for the ED and dollars reasonable. Edler's agent is likely asking for 3-4 years, more money and an NMC for the ED. They'll compromise somewhere in the middle of all those things and might involve more money in exchange for shorter term/no NMC or something like a 'back loaded' deal as quasi-ED protection. It takes time to sort that all out, particularly between scouting players in Europe, prepping for the draft/free agency, re-signing other pending FA's like Demko, Boeser etc...

We have 2 months before it's even a remote 'concern' and even then, we can still sign him after July 1 and have 5 months before October.... It's far, FAR from time to panic. Both sides want him back...it's all but a certainty at this point IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, teepain said:

Edler isnt signed yet for a reason, or it would have been done already. Benning is looking at all the options before that deal is signed

Im pretty sure Benning knows that Edler doesn't want to play anywhere but Vancouver so he is holding out and letting Edler make the next move. That could be term or NTC type status that they are bargaining over

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

If Vcr gives Edler an NMC it impacts hugely on the expansion draft. All NTC/NMC must go on the protected  list and  thus we loose another player

Nope, just NMC's.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I feel like first call up depending on what's happening with Juolevi is where he's at. Hard to say from such a short sample size, but he looked good.

Fair to say he got a better shot than Teves?? I also wonder if Woo can make the jump.

59 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If he is playing well at development camp, which he supposedly is, I wonder if he gets a shot at 3rd pairing right D. Obviously it depends on how main camp goes.

Out of the FA college and OHL signings Rafferty clearly seemed a step ahead.  I think he has the best chance of the group to be a 6 or 7 fairly regularity.  I feel once Joulevi is healthy he’ll be in the Nucks lineup.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Interesting:  the details are obviously keyed in to the end of Tanev's contract.  Makes a lot of sense.  He did show well in his cameo with us and should be ready for the bottom pairing by this year's trade deadline or so. 

Same deal as Teves got...depth signings for the expansion draft, etc.