The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Kielly | G

GoldenAlien

On 8/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

My prediction is that he'll be the starter in Utica by game 20. 

Great couple of years in college and good reviews from prospect camp. 

If he's as advertised, could he open up the possibility of trading Demko and extending Markstrom? Maybe Demko is someone that Buffalo would be interested in to make a deal for Ristolainen?

We would still have DiPietro coming up. We signed MacIntyre and have Bachman around still. Plus we took on Theissen who's in college and recently drafted Silovs.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, theo5789 said:

If he's as advertised, could he open up the possibility of trading Demko and extending Markstrom? Maybe Demko is someone that Buffalo would be interested in to make a deal for Ristolainen?

We would still have DiPietro coming up. We signed MacIntyre and have Bachman around still. Plus we took on Theissen who's in college and recently drafted Silovs.

I’m never of the mind of trading elite young goaltenders. Markström is good. But he in my opinion has a lot to prove still. 

im not convinced that Dipietro is going to be a starter let alone a star in the league. He may very well be a back up goalie in the league. But I’m not sure if he’s starter material. Demko seems very promising. I think it would be a mistake to trade him at this stage of his career. All the other goalies you’ve mentioned career depth goalies. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m never of the mind of trading elite young goaltenders. Markström is good. But he in my opinion has a lot to prove still. 

im not convinced that Dipietro is going to be a starter let alone a star in the league. He may very well be a back up goalie in the league. But I’m not sure if he’s starter material. Demko seems very promising. I think it would be a mistake to trade him at this stage of his career. All the other goalies you’ve mentioned career depth goalies. 

Elite is thrown around a lot. Demko has a lot to prove to get there, much more so than Markstrom even though he himself isn't elite either yet. We traded Schneider and got Horvat. If we committed to Luongo and made the same move, we would still have been a pretty strong team for a while longer.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Elite is thrown around a lot. Demko has a lot to prove to get there, much more so than Markstrom even though he himself isn't elite either yet. We traded Schneider and got Horvat. If we committed to Luongo and made the same move, we would still have been a pretty strong team for a while longer.

If we committed, ……. Vcr  gave him a 12 year contract!!! The fact is Luongo wasn't committed to the Canucks preferring his partying than his team. When Mrs Lou made a surprised visit in 2011 and decided it was best that Mr Lou return to Florida where he could be kept under close surveillance. She crushed the trade to TO. and now folks want to feel sorry for the guy. He may be a great friendly guy off the ice with a good sense of humour but his commitment  to the club was left wanting. There's been a number of partiers on the roster over the year they got the same treatment, you're outta here. Luo was the exception

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If we committed, ……. Vcr  gave him a 12 year contract!!! The fact is Luongo wasn't committed to the Canucks preferring his partying than his team. When Mrs Lou made a surprised visit in 2011 and decided it was best that Mr Lou return to Florida where he could be kept under close surveillance. She crushed the trade to TO. and now folks want to feel sorry for the guy. He may be a great friendly guy off the ice with a good sense of humour but his commitment  to the club was left wanting. There's been a number of partiers on the roster over the year they got the same treatment, you're outta here. Luo was the exception

clueless movie cherilyn horowitz GIF

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Never heard about this before.  Are you suggesting Lou wasn’t faithful, and his wife found out?  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Never heard about this before.  Are you suggesting Lou wasn’t faithful, and his wife found out?  

Draw your on conclusions, there's been a rumour to that effect circulating for some time, who knows

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Draw your on conclusions, there's been a rumour to that effect circulating for some time, who knows

I always thought Lou and his wife lived together in a fancy condo downtown.  Usually guys focused on being number 1 make a lot of off ice sacrifices to attain that goal.  

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

That’s true. The term is thrown and used lightly quite often. But Demko seems to me at least, and hey, I’m not a professional scout or anything, but he seems like a really high end solid goalie prospect. I’m loathe to trade away players like that. Good thing I’m not the GM -_-

I’d classify Markström as a really solid goaltender at this stage. I’m not convinced he’ll ever become elite, though I hope to be proven wrong and hope he has a fantastic season coming up. 

42 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

is this fact or a rumour to tear the guy down.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That really is too bad. The Schneider-Horvat deal turned out, for us, to be a really good deal. Thank God that Gillis didn’t screw that one up. Luongo though I thought we could’ve gotten a better deal for him. But we’re handcuffed due to the fact that he wanted to only go to one team - the Panthers. Or at least that was what was perceived by media and the fans. Wish Luongo was in many way still a Canuck. I miss him. Greatest goaltender this franchise has ever had, hands down. And we still couldn’t win the Cup :(

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That’s true. The term is thrown and used lightly quite often. But Demko seems to me at least, and hey, I’m not a professional scout or anything, but he seems like a really high end solid goalie prospect. I’m loathe to trade away players like that. Good thing I’m not the GM -_-

I’d classify Markström as a really solid goaltender at this stage. I’m not convinced he’ll ever become elite, though I hope to be proven wrong and hope he has a fantastic season coming up. 

Let's be clear here, I'm not saying I don't think Demko may be a high end goalie and if he is with us, amazing. The point I was making was some were saying they're really high on Kielly and think he's going to be a big surprise. I'm just saying that if we have such a great goaltender in the wings, then maybe that opens up the possibility of trading Demko to bolster our lineup elsewhere. Schneider for Horvat worked out nicely, so if we commit to Markstrom and give him the vote of confidence, we could make another move like this to take our team to another level.

Of course we have to hope Markstrom plays well (like he did in the last half of last season) for at least another 2-3 years while Kielly gets accustomed to his trade at the professional level. However this would solve a future situation coming up with the expansion coming up where we could lose one goalie or the other for nothing while bolstering our lineup further. We have other goalies in the system and there just seems to be quite a few in the pipeline.

I honestly don't know much about Kielly, but just making the suggestion as some are believing he is under the radar and could be very good for us in a short time.

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That really is too bad. The Schneider-Horvat deal turned out, for us, to be a really good deal. Thank God that Gillis didn’t screw that one up. Luongo though I thought we could’ve gotten a better deal for him. But we’re handcuffed due to the fact that he wanted to only go to one team - the Panthers. Or at least that was what was perceived by media and the fans. Wish Luongo was in many way still a Canuck. I miss him. Greatest goaltender this franchise has ever had, hands down. And we still couldn’t win the Cup :(

I don't think he limited us to one team. He happened to go to a team that he wanted to, but there simply wasn't a lot of offers on the table because his contract "sucked". The plan was to front load his contract to lower the cap hit, which was allowed at the time, but this took his deal into his 40s and teams were scared off by that.

I don't know what memory that poster had about the supposed rumours circulating, but Toronto was simply try to low ball us, which is why we didn't want to trade with them. I believed they offer a 2nd or two 2nds and that's it. We took a deal that gave us "the best goalie not in the NHL" at around that time and a forward who was 6'4 220+ lbs instead. Keep in mind, the team wasn't "rebuilding" and they wanted immediate help to "re-tool".

Luongo has always seemed to be a family man and a person dedicated to his craft. Unless things have changed recently, most of his actions seem to reflect a caring person whether it's with his community (here and in Florida), teammates or family themselves. Would he party with his teammates? Sure because he doesn't seem anti-social, but I don't think he would be to the point of the defamation being brought up.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I always thought Lou and his wife lived together in a fancy condo downtown.  Usually guys focused on being number 1 make a lot of off ice sacrifices to attain that goal.  

I don't believe so. I do know that shortly after the SC Mrs Lou at a event at the VGH told any one with a pair of ears Lou had played his last game in Vcr. Mrs Lou was close to her parents in Florida, that's where she wished to be. To be fair a lot of women like to stick close to Mom, it's not unusual. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Let's be clear here, I'm not saying I don't think Demko may be a high end goalie and if he is with us, amazing. The point I was making was some were saying they're really high on Kielly and think he's going to be a big surprise. I'm just saying that if we have such a great goaltender in the wings, then maybe that opens up the possibility of trading Demko to bolster our lineup elsewhere. Schneider for Horvat worked out nicely, so if we commit to Markstrom and give him the vote of confidence, we could make another move like this to take our team to another level.

Of course we have to hope Markstrom plays well (like he did in the last half of last season) for at least another 2-3 years while Kielly gets accustomed to his trade at the professional level. However this would solve a future situation coming up with the expansion coming up where we could lose one goalie or the other for nothing while bolstering our lineup further. We have other goalies in the system and there just seems to be quite a few in the pipeline.

I honestly don't know much about Kielly, but just making the suggestion as some are believing he is under the radar and could be very good for us in a short time.

Think it might be a stretch to see Kielly is high end goalie like Demko seems to be. But like many posters here have written - goalies are so unpredictable to predict. Personally, I'd keep Demko, and see what we have in Kielly. If he turns out to be an NHL tender, that's great. It would give Benning multiple options - trade Markstrom, trade Demko, or trade Kielly (assuming of course, his value is where we hope it could be - enough that another NHL club would be interested and trade for him). 

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Think it might be a stretch to see Kielly is high end goalie like Demko seems to be. But like many posters here have written - goalies are so unpredictable to predict. Personally, I'd keep Demko, and see what we have in Kielly. If he turns out to be an NHL tender, that's great. It would give Benning multiple options - trade Markstrom, trade Demko, or trade Kielly (assuming of course, his value is where we hope it could be - enough that another NHL club would be interested and trade for him). 

Never gave a timeline on when to move one of the goalies, but the expansion is coming up. We may wait until the last minute to make a move, but there may not be a move with teams knowing they would need to protect a Markstrom or Demko. So teams may want to make a move earlier to get a better idea of which goalie they should protect. If Kielly is not ready just yet but shows positive signs, then we sign a bridge backup to hold the fort.

The reason you and other may feel it's a stretch is because he really is an unknown to most of us. I think DiPietro could be a goalie of the future, but he's a few years away and views have changed on him because of the one game showing he had.

I'm not saying this is something we must do, but it would certainly give the team an option should it pan out as you've mentioned. Demko may be a great goalie, but that's why we would get reasonable value for him if we did trade him. It's sort of like looking at the Luongo vs Schneider situation. The team needed to go with one or the other and commit to it rather than let it linger too long. It's only expedited with the expansion coming up as well.

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Good god this is a bad take!!!  :picard:

Luongo got kicked to the curb by tortorella and after that there was no salvaging the relationship. 

Have you even watched this team when Luongo played here? I don't think so based on your post and how the Luongo thing went down pal.

Edit: you better be careful. Very close to slander with that rumor you just started pal.

Edited by Kanukfanatic