The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko for Ristolainen

As per the discussion sparked off in the draft thread with @73 Percent and @SabreFan1... Something around Demko to BUF for Ristolainen.

Edler, Risto

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Tanev/Stralman (UFA)

Sautner, Biega/Schenn

*Tanev moved if we sign Stralman.

Then maybe move Hutton + for a scoring winger when Juolevi's ready to move up (and Hughes can move up to pair with Risto, Stecher with Edler).

Edler, Stecher/Stralman

Hughes, Risto

Juolevi, Stralman/Stecher

Sautner, Biega/Schenn

While young and has the potential to be a good number one goaltender. I doubt Botterill think Demko will be an upgrade over what he has now. They need to make the playoffs ASAP, after not seeing the post-season for nearly a decade, and Demko wouldn’t fix their goaltending problems next season.

They would probably be more interested in Markstrom, if anything.

Marky had one outstanding year.  I would like to see more evidence that this trend will continue before I trade away a potential franchise goalie of the future in Demko. 

Yes, people have brought up the dilemma of the ED, but many teams found ways to prevent certain players being plucked from their franchise when Vegas entered so imo it's not impossible to keep both and see if a). Marky can continue to sustain his play and b). if Demko can show development towards fulfilling his potential. 

Funny enough, he was listed as one of the worst players in the NHL this season.

Rasmus Ristolainen

To say it’s been a rough season for Rasmus Ristolainen would be an understatement. The Buffalo News reports that the 24-year-old Sabres defenceman has struggled badly with turnovers and coverage in the defensive zone, and it’s led to him having the worst plus-minus rating in the entire league. Ristolainen is no stranger to a bad plus-minus—he ranks last in the NHL in that category since the start of the 2013-14 season—but he’s on pace to record a career worst in 2018-19.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/the-worst-players-in-the-nhl-this-season/ss-BBVoAj7#image=3

Not sure we want to do this for Demko, but I am certainly in favour of a package to get Risto.  I think this is an opportunity to get a potential 1-2 Offensive D with size/grit at a lower than usual value.  There is risk there for sure, but I think he fits the bill perfectly.  

Edler Stecher

Hughes Risto

Hutton Myers

Joulevi Biega

Tanev and Pouliot out and Tryamkin in for Hutton next year

While I do think the value is fair, I don't think I could get on board with this. 

Goalies are hard to predict and obviously not an exact science. But Markstrom is 29 years old and hitting his prime right now. I feel as if our core will be ready to really contend when Markstrom is in the decline and Demko should be hitting his stride. I don't think we should risk giving that up for Risto.

I also have little faith in DiPietro. I thought this before the shelling he received courtesy of the Sharks, which is no fault of his own.

I would be more interested in moving up 4-5 spots this draft to the 4th or 5th spot and snag Byram. 

Ristolainen isn't that good and certainly won't save our defense.

I'd rather keep Thatcher D, who projects to be an NHL player.

It's tempting, though. 40+ point, young right-shot defenseman with size. I just worry that his faults can't be coached out of his game.

25 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

While I do think the value is fair, I don't think I could get on board with this. 

Goalies are hard to predict and obviously not an exact science. But Markstrom is 29 years old and hitting his prime right now. I feel as if our core will be ready to really contend when Markstrom is in the decline and Demko should be hitting his stride. I don't think we should risk giving that up for Risto.

I also have little faith in DiPietro. I thought this before the shelling he received courtesy of the Sharks, which is no fault of his own.

I would be more interested in moving up 4-5 spots this draft to the 4th or 5th spot and snag Byram. 

What's wrong with DiPietro?  Guy was one of the very few bright spots on a weak Team Canada and a backstopped Windsor to a Memorial Cup.  Great character kid and a competitive guy.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

While young and has the potential to be a good number one goaltender. I doubt Botterill think Demko will be an upgrade over what he has now. They need to make the playoffs ASAP, after not seeing the post-season for nearly a decade, and Demko wouldn’t fix their goaltending problems next season.

They would probably be more interested in Markstrom, if anything.

The Sabres need to dump Ullmark.  He was streaky in the AHL and is even streakier in the NHL. 

Demko would be an upgrade over Hutton.  By the time Luukkonen then comes into the league, Hutton's contract will be up and the Sabres would have a very good goaltending duo in Demko and Luukkonen.

Like I said in the other thread though; I'm a big Demko fanboy and I'm not that big on Risto so my opinions on a trade like that should be taken with a large grain of salt.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres need to dump Ullmark.  He was streaky in the AHL and is even streakier in the NHL. 

Demko would be an upgrade over Hutton.  By the time Luukkonen then comes into the league, Hutton's contract will be up and the Sabres would have a very good goaltending duo in Demko and Luukkonen.

Like I said in the other thread though; I'm a big Demko fanboy and I'm not that big on Risto so my opinions on a trade like that should be taken with a large grain of salt.

yeah isnt risto a whipping boy over in buffalo?

Just now, TNucks1 said:

yeah isnt risto a whipping boy over in buffalo?

Depends on who you talk to.  Some fans love him, others like me not so much.  The Sabres coaching staff likes his offensive numbers and that he will eat as many minutes as you can throw at him.  He drives the analytics guys nuts though since those numbers have been all over the place for the last few years.

Add that to the fact that our rookie d-man (Dahlin) is outscoring him and playing better defence, and it's time to trade him while he still has value.

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

For Ristolainen, is it just his own end or is there other issues, like with Dougie Hamilton? He can certainly put up points (as can Hamilton) but if it's just defence that can be worked on or at least mitigated to an extent.

EDIT: just to clarify my position, I'd prefer Ristolainen on his cost controlled contract for three more years than spending big in free agency for Myers.

Archived