The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko for Ristolainen

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Minus Trouba they can probably pay him more than $5m. And they still have that cup contender draw. I think the two main reasons he'd look to leave are opportunity and a lack of cap space. Both of which get solved if they move Trouba instead.

Have you ever lived in Winnipeg? :wacko:

If they don't have Trouba? They still have to pay Laine & Connor, who has passed Laine on the depth chart this year. Morrisey next year, and either Kevin Hayes or a substitute. Plus Trouba's substitute. its just my opinion, but I don't think they can afford him regardless.

Myers is leaving.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Have you ever lived in Winnipeg? :wacko:

If they don't have Trouba? They still have to pay Laine & Connor, who has passed Laine on the depth chart this year. Morrisey next year, and either Kevin Hayes or a substitute. Plus Trouba's substitute. its just my opinion, but I don't think they can afford him regardless.

Myers is leaving.

Myers would be Trouba's sub. But for sure they have a cap crunch.

Lived, no. Visited for a week in late October though and it was actually nicer than I expected :lol:

CraftyClumsyBalloonfish-size_restricted.

Edited by aGENT

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Depends on who you talk to.  Some fans love him, others like me not so much.  The Sabres coaching staff likes his offensive numbers and that he will eat as many minutes as you can throw at him.  He drives the analytics guys nuts though since those numbers have been all over the place for the last few years.

Add that to the fact that our rookie d-man (Dahlin) is outscoring him and playing better defence, and it's time to trade him while he still has value.

Sounds like Tyler Myers 2.0 going by what you’re saying

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Lived, no. Visited for a week in late October though and it was actually nicer than I expected :lol:

Its a nice place to live for the average person. Clean, safe, good economy. I have family that can afford a house and cabin for less than I sold my home in Burnaby for 18 years ago. I lived 20 plus years, 14 in Vancouver a few in Edmonton and now Australia.

Winnipeg is cold, bitterly cold. I did x country ski down the river, snowmobile and ice fish. But not many friends, nor my wife wanting to join me.  That has nothing on a cold beer after night skiing at Grouse. A walk on the sea wall in Stanley Park.  

Especially for someone with the capacity to go anywhere?  I recall talking to a SJ player, think Brad Stuart?  My memory is foggy as to who. They would go surfing on their days off in January. Live in the hills.  

Winnipeg does not stack up.

• Upvote 2

Haha seriously? Risto?

The guy is -43 right now. He may have put up 40 points but that means he has been on the ice for at least 83 goals against this season...no thanks! We need defense from our D first, the offense is an extra once you have that sorted!

5 hours ago, billabong said:

I’d aim higher. Risto is garbage defensively and we know green won’t have any of it

go after dumba :shock:

That's not going to happen.  Owner Craig Leopold was just talking about how frustrating his injury has been but says the good thing is that he will be back next season and only get better.  He's part of their core of young players.  

17 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Not sure what others think, but i value risto much higher than nurse.

respectfully disagree. Risto is atrocious in his own zone. Horrible defensive coverage. Definitely not a player I would want at this team, especially at the expense of Demko or Marky. I would however, try and trade Marky now with a piece like Baertschi, Sutter or Goldobin to see if we can get an additional late first or a young RHD.

3 hours ago, combover said:

No

demkos looking better every game.why give up on him?

Trading him now would just be yet another mistake on a long list of mistakes. 

We likely need to move a goalie between now and next TDL. Pick your poison.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Tyler Myers is slightly less offensive minded but better at defence.

Not saying he's not better defensively (he is) but it's a lot easier to be 'better' playing almost 5 minutes less, further down the pairings on a MUCH better team.

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Haha seriously? Risto?

The guy is -43 right now. He may have put up 40 points but that means he has been on the ice for at least 83 goals against this season...no thanks! We need defense from our D first, the offense is an extra once you have that sorted!

See above. IMO, a lot of that -43 is contextual (while still not mistaking him for some defensive stalwart).

• Upvote 1

Vegas has just signed today 24 year old LD Jimmy Schuldt - the top NCAA D.  He is believed to be NHL ready.  

Vegas is in a cap crunch and will have to move players this off-season.  Per CapFriendly they are already at over 82M with 17 players for next season.  They will put Clarkson on LTIR creating just above 5M but that's all going to go into getting William Karlsson signed.

Would they move a D?  They will likely be looking for picks or prospects given their cap situation.

Some believe that Colin Miller could be available due to cap constraints - he has been benched at times and was a healthy scratch at least once.  He is a 26 year old RD at 3.875M with 29pts in 63 games.  

LD McNabb 2.5M

LD Merril 1.375M

LD Engelland UFA (1.5M this season)

RD Miller 3.875M

RD Holden 2.2M

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not saying he's not better defensively (he is) but it's a lot easier to be 'better' playing almost 5 minutes less, further down the pairings on a MUCH better team.

Which is why taking Risto's 3 cheap-ish years over 5-7 more expensive Tyler Myers years would be a better idea for any team considering picking up a player like them. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We likely need to move a goalie between now and next TDL. Pick your poison.

Not understanding this Agent,  why?

For the first time in years we are developing progressive depth at the Goalie position,  one with the pairing we have now could possibly support the direction of this team from a position of 1-2 strength for 3 to 4 years.

Attrition at this depth is what you want to create, and I think that is what Benning is doing.

Hypothetically,.  Take Demko out of the situation,. We go shopping again,  possible waiver loss scenarios,.  Markstrom is about to put on the Beast suit,.  but he isn’t immune from injuries in this game,.. and 82 games? 

The “Team” needs strength from this position, if we don’t have the depth and strength we have now, we kick the wedge out of the door and chance where it blows open to.

Its the strength at this position that is detrimental to the strength of this entire Team..  there is no one else I would rather have than Demko, as our #2 playing 20 - 30 games,  or possibly more due to that nasty IR list that can kill teams at this position.

We have already had a lesson in chaos when we traded Nillsen.

Our D core is about to change drastically,  1 acquisition,  someone who can shoot..   and I don’t think we have to trade the strength of the goaltending position, or it’s prospects away to get it.

I would take from the position of D and it’s prospects or players to get it.

pick up Myers,  use Myers as an asset when or if Tryamkin returns, or keep them both and move Schenn.

We are actually in the great position of having options of strength in all positions,

if each position has his movement on and off the Team, handled as a Department of the Team, and dealt with accordingly.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not understanding this Agent,  why?

For the first time in years we are developing progressive depth at the Goalie position,  one with the pairing we have now could possibly support the direction of this team from a position of 1-2 strength for 3 to 4 years.

Attrition at this depth is what you want to create, and I think that is what Benning is doing.

Hypothetically,.  Take Demko out of the situation,. We go shopping again,  possible waiver loss scenarios,.  Markstrom is about to put on the Beast suit,.  but he isn’t immune from injuries in this game,.. and 82 games? 

The “Team” needs strength from this position, if we don’t have the depth and strength we have now, we kick the wedge out of the door and chance where it blows open to.

Its the strength at this position that is detrimental to the strength of this entire Team..  there is no one else I would rather have than Demko, as our #2 playing 20 - 30 games,  or possibly more due to that nasty IR list that can kill teams at this position.

We have already had a lesson in chaos when we traded Nillsen.

Our D core is about to change drastically,  1 acquisition,  someone who can shoot..   and I don’t think we have to trade the strength of the goaltending position, or it’s prospects away to get it.

I would take from the position of D and it’s prospects or players to get it.

I'm not suggesting we don't replace Demko :blink:

There's a buttload of competent UFA goalies we could sign this and/or next summer to backup Markstrom and expose in the ED.

Why do we need to move one? Because of the ED and the fact that Markstrom will either need to be extended or traded by next TDL. And if we're extending him, it would be far wiser to get value for Demko before the ED lessens it and we either lose him for free in the ED or trade him for less due to ED market pressures.

Or conversely, if they feel Demko's their guy moving forward, we could certainly sell high on Marky as well and sign one of the competent UFA's to tandem with Demko until he's ready to take over as well (though I see this as less likely given management's history re: goaltending and the fact that we likely need more than what Demko is prepared to offer next season to continue to move forward and improve as a team) .

Either way, they need to make a ballsy call PDQ. *Technically we have until next TDL but it's far more likely and easier to sign said UFA's in the summer vs mid year.

Edited by aGENT
  • Wat 1

27 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Which is why taking Risto's 3 cheap-ish years over 5-7 more expensive Tyler Myers years would be a better idea for any team considering picking up a player like them. 

finger-on-nose.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm not suggesting we don't replace Demko :blink:

There's a buttload of competent UFA goalies we could sign this and/or next summer to backup Markstrom and expose in the ED.

Why do we need to move one? Because of the ED and the fact that Markstrom will either need to be extended or traded by next TDL. And if we're extending him, it would be far wiser to get value for Demko before the ED lessens it and we either lose him for free in the ED or trade him for less due to ED market pressures.

Or conversely, if they feel Demko's their guy moving forward, we could certainly sell high on Marky as well and sign one of the competent UFA's to tandem with Demko until he's ready to take over as well (though I see this as less likely given management's history re: goaltending and the fact that we likely need more than what Demko is prepared to offer next season to continue to move forward and improve as a team) .

Either way, they need to make a ballsy call PDQ. *Technically we have until next TDL but it's far more likely and easier to sign said UFA's in the summer vs mid year.

Just sounds like moving a Goalie in the short term creates more weaknesses than strengths on this team at a time we need to be looking forward to getting mid-pack in the playoffs.

I get that Demko could and more than likely be replaced by a “pick up” if by your proposal we move him.

But it dosent make sense to weaken that position at this point.

Sign Markstrom for 5 years,. Move him as an asset in 3, let Demko  take it from there.

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Just sounds like moving a Goalie in the short term creates more weaknesses than strengths on this team at a time we need to be looking forward to getting mid-pack in the playoffs.

I get that Demko could and more than likely be replaced by a “pick up” if by your proposal we move him.

But it dosent make sense to weaken that position at this point.

Sign Markstrom for 5 years,. Move him as an asset in 3, let Demko  take it from there.

To be fair, in the short term, it's quite likely that those UFA vets would actually offer added strength at the position next year, not weaken it.

It also ignores that in this scenario we'd be vastly improving our D core in front of said goalies. Vet UFA goalie + young 2nd pair D >>>> Demko.

You don't have 3 years to move Marky. Expansion draft.

Build from the net out.  Goalies win championships.  Give Buffalo the right goalie and they win the Stanley Cup before the Canucks do.  Canucks have one of the best Goalie situations in the league right now, no way should they change that.  By the end of next season, I bet Demko will be worth more than Schneider was.