The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko for Ristolainen

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Is he leaving Russia?

His contract runs until next season but after that he's supposed to come over.  

Lamoriello wants to build a perennial contender - it's having the structure were prospects regularly come in and replace ageing assets.  At the deadline he tried to add scoring but was unwilling to part with Dobson, Wahlstrom (who had a poor season) or his 1st.  

Leivo produced at a 0.37 pace while playing top-6 minutes with the teams best players and on PP1.  He's not going to improve their top-6 scoring or PP.

Tanev is not needed given how they are doing defensively.  He's also a free agent in one season.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mll said:

His contract runs until next season but after that he's supposed to come over. 

Supposed... I believe Russians are coming over when I actually see then come over.

I sure as hell wouldn't be counting on him if I'm Lam.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Leivo produced at a 0.37 pace while playing top-6 minutes with the teams best players and on PP1.  He's not going to improve their top-6 scoring or PP.

Tanev is not needed given how they are doing defensively.  He's also a free agent in one season.

Never said Leivo would. But he could replace some of the bigger body board play they might lose this summer in their middle 6. Again, not a main piece.

That very well may be re: Tanev, but I don't know many teams who wouldn't gladly as a solid defensively, puck transitioning D. Particularly if we retain. Could always include negotiation for an extension.

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

Exceptt that the closer you get to the ED, the more it tanks trade values. We also need to extend Marky this coming season (or trade him if we're not extending him). IMO, a move needs to be made this, or at the latest, next summer.

I would give it til the 2020-21 NHL trade deadline because Seattle will begin play in the 2021-22 NHL season.  Before then, if Demko have shown enough, maybe Markstrom should be the one traded.  Tampa had a similar problem before the Vegas expansion draft and decided to keep Vasilevskiy over Bishop who was moved around the trade deadline for Budaj, Cernak, and a swap of picks.

I put it in another thread that was turning off topic.

I think Buffalo would want current help and not futures.  I also don’t think Demko is close to being enough.  Tampa wants him and has half their D leaving this summer, other teams would bid for him for sure.

Tanev might be someone they would be interested in as a steadying veteran who plays 5 on 5 and PK while their new superstars get premium minutes.

They need secondary scoring so a Baertschi or Virtanen might look attractive for them.

Tanev+Virtanen+?

We could use Risto differently and play into his strengths more.  He is being misused as a #1 all situations guy eating up 25-26 minutes a game.  

On our team you pair him up with Hughes on the 1st unit PP and drop his 5 on 5 minutes dramatically so he is playing 18 minutes a game instead of 25.  Edler and Stecher can eat those minuted up.  Our PP gets ridiculously better as he has the point shot we have been missing.  It teams can’t just collapse on Petterson and Boeser like they are now.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

Would you trade our first this year to buffalo for Ristolainen and Alex Nylander? You would be getting them at their lowest value and banking that they both in time are equal value (independently) to our pick this year.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Ristolainen

Joulevi Tanev

Hutton Schenn

to me that is a d transformation before Tryamkin comes back next year.  Then you bank on Alex Nylander getting second line minutes in two years to form:

Pearson Horvat Nylander

if that situation only cost us a Boldy or Krebs then I’m game.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Would you trade our first this year to buffalo for Ristolainen and Alex Nylander? You would be getting them at their lowest value and banking that they both in time are equal value (independently) to our pick this year.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Ristolainen

Joulevi Tanev

Hutton Schenn

to me that is a d transformation before Tryamkin comes back next year.  Then you bank on Alex Nylander getting second line minutes in two years to form:

Pearson Horvat Nylander

if that situation only cost us a Boldy or Krebs then I’m game.

Yes I would make that trade for sure.  Doesn’t Buffalo want good players with some maturity though?  Might they want Sutter too?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes I would make that trade for sure.  Doesn’t Buffalo want good players with some maturity though?  Might they want Sutter too?

Works for me, and hopefully for them.  1st and Sutter for Risto and Nylander.  Seems like pretty fair value and certainly gets us to the place we want to get.

• Upvote 1