The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Petey falling off in scoring, do you think Binnington has a chance at winning the Calder? (Votes are cast pre-playoffs)

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

Petterson, Dalhin or Binnington for Calder?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

If we're comparing the two players and their potential, I agree completely; however, the Calder doesn't consider potential at all, just this one rookie season. Dahlin doing what he is at 18 is certainly more impressive than someone doing it at 24 as a rookie and it shows far more potential, but that fact has nothing to do with the Calder, as I'd say it's just based on a players play in that season alone, ignoring all other factors.

Even by that metric Binnington, which I think isn't completely fair being more a developed rookie should work against you against more raw rookies, shouldn't belong in the conversation. He's only got 30 games under his belt this season. That's barely enough games played to warrant a Jennings nod, if he were on a team with the lowest GAA. For me to consider him in the conversation he'd at least need to have played 40-50 games.

• Like 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Even by that metric Binnington, which I think isn't completely fair being more a developed rookie should work against you against more raw rookies, shouldn't belong in the conversation. He's only got 30 games under his belt this season. That's barely enough games played to warrant a Jennings nod, if he were on a team with the lowest GAA. For me to consider him in the conversation he'd at least need to have played 40-50 games.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Calder criteria, but I agree with you on Binnington. He hasn't played enough for serious consideration, so even under my understanding of the criteria, he doesn't challenge Pettersson.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Calder criteria, but I agree with you on Binnington. He hasn't played enough for serious consideration, so even under my understanding of the criteria, he doesn't challenge Pettersson.

There are no hand shake emojis but I agree to the agreeing to disagree agreement. Glad we agree on his lack of games though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

“Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHLgames in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.”

and like you said hammond was 26 on sept 15 of 2014, there for did not qualify as a rookie. 

Here’s all the rookie goalies that year who played more than 10 games. Hammond is not on that list 

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=goaliesummary&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20142015&seasonTo=20142015&gameType=2&experience=1&weightTo=220&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,10&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&optionWeightMin=168&optionWeightMax=240&sort=wins&

I got that mixed up. Poor Hammond. I'll edit my post to clarify

• Cheers 2

The cup is for overall proficiency, not just scoring, so it's a no brainer for me.  Petey brings SO much to his game and is such a complete player...his ability to see things and do things that can create space for him, set up others, etc. is just undeniable.  The bank passes off the boards, the moving back 3 inches so the player covering him has a "huh?" moment as he scoots around them, etc.  Even the fact that, as a "slight" player he does NOT back away from contact and isn't afraid to fight for the puck, not just "retrieve it".  His defensive prowess and instincts to "cover" for others if need be.  Selflessness. 

He has created a huge buzz in this league and it's for a reason.

He's it.

We've said it before but the sample size matters here (too).  

• Cheers 1

EP 

Dahlin

Heiskanen 

Bennington 

Media will hype it up trying to make it interesting. But EP will win it. 

Edit. Add Heiskanen.  Love this kid. 

What a great rookie class. Heiskanen and Dahlin will be perennial Norris candidates. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Stamkos said:

If the Blues get past the first round then Binnington gets it. If not, it’s Peteys to lose. 

Playoff results don’t determine regular season awards. 

And the answer is no. Despite dropping off in points since January 1st Pettersson still leads all rookies in points even with playing less games. Calder debates right now are silly and borderline pointless. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Dahlin has 41 points as an 18 year old on that struggling Buffalo team. If not Petey he gets my vote.

What does 40 points as a Dman translate to when compared to a forward?

Some smartypants out there has probably worked this out somewhere. 

I’d like to compare the two Swede kids this way. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What does 40 points as a Dman translate to when compared to a forward?

Some smartypants out there has probably worked this out somewhere. 

I’d like to compare the two Swede kids this way. 

I have zero clue what math would have to go into finding out how forward numbers translate to defenseman numbers and vice versa. I guess that would depend on the person doing the comparing. Obviously d-men don't get the offensive looks forwards do, so when they do rack up a decent amount of points it's worth noting. Ekblad won the Calder as a teenager and the year he did it had 39 points. That was enough for voters to pick him over 64 point Mark Stone. So it's safe to say at least 40 points for a d-man is better than 60. Lol. If we do some rounding and assume that metric as being acceptable. Only real notable variable is how much did the age difference between Ekblad and Stone effect voters? 

18 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

With Petey falling off in scoring the last month of the season, do you feel Binnington has a good shot at the Calder ?  The Blues' rookie goalie is 22 - 5 and has moved his team from last place to a solid playoff spot this year.

No.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I have zero clue what math would have to go into finding out how forward numbers translate to defenseman numbers and vice versa. I guess that would depend on the person doing the comparing. Obviously d-men don't get the offensive looks forwards do, so when they do rack up a decent amount of points it's worth noting. Ekblad won the Calder as a teenager and the year he did it had 39 points. That was enough for voters to pick him over 64 point Mark Stone. So it's safe to say at least 40 points for a d-man is better than 60. Lol. If we do some rounding and assume that metric as being acceptable. Only real notable variable is how much did the age difference between Ekblad and Stone effect voters? 

I’m pretty sure I saw some kind of conversion of this a few years back.

Its going to be some quasi science, if at all.

As much as I want EP to win, part of me, being a Dman and all, wants RD to get his due as well. 

As good as EP has been, RD is right there, IMO, just less sexy because he’s back on D. 

43 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m pretty sure I saw some kind of conversion of this a few years back.

Its going to be some quasi science, if at all.

As much as I want EP to win, part of me, being a Dman and all, wants RD to get his due as well. 

As good as EP has been, RD is right there, IMO, just less sexy because he’s back on D. 

Between the hype and Petey's points per game I don't see Dahlin being a legit threat for the Calder sadly. I also have affinity for D-men in the Calder consideration but this is a one horse race. The thing that really disappoints me though is people putting Binnington ahead of Dahlin.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Dahlin? Heiskanen deserves it more than him.

I'd say they are pretty close to equal. Dahlin the superior scoring threat, Heiskanen's got a great two way game. Also playing 23 minutes a game as a rookie. I know people hate the +/- stat but being -10 on a playoff team can maybe raise some eyebrows. 

• Cheers 2

I think that having both Heiskanen and Dahlin will help EP40. If there was only one top rookie dman, it would be a tougher road. Dahlin, being in the East, will probably end up being the alpha dman rookie. Binnington is the one that I really can't get a read on. Definitely a spoiler, but for whom ?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1