The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

dpn1

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I want to hear what movie Donnie likes or how much he hates Loui Eriksson I suppose 1040 is your choice. Or just want a dose of negativity. 

I find Rintoul very annoying and the love for Jake Gardiner on the afternoon show is a bit much, but they do a better job of covering a bigger range of Canucks news than 1040 imo. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I haven't listened to 650 much lately, their broadcast quality was terrible and I couldn't get it in my car out in the valley.

TSN has better guests for sure.  I like to listen to the hits from Ferraro, Pierre Macquire, Button, etc.  I also like listening to Taylor as I was the right age for Sportspage to have been really big.

I agree.  I to have good memories of staying up until 11:00 pm.  Broadcasting quality plays a big role for me.  I like Auld though.

• Upvote 1

650 is better but I don't care for either.

Depends on the time of the day.

Lately, I find that Moj dude very annoying. I think he sees himself as an old school be tough guy but just comes off sounding like an unhealthy ignoramus. Donny deserves a better side kick. 

On a serious note, I couldn’t get into 650 when they debuted, so I stayed with 1040

unfortunately 1040 made the decision to go away from responsible and intelligent discussion into the “Americanized” style of brash, very opinionated commentary. I held on to them for the drive home, but that show had become very bad - the producer screaming on the sports update,  the two hosts debating a topic that they didn’t necessarily believe the side they were taking, etc. Paterson’s disrespect for his position and the Canucks organization was the final straw. 

i tried 650 for two weeks in mid/late March, but the cohost with rintoul is baddddddd - annoying and arrogant. 

I do enjoy the Canucks play by play man (batchelor?)

Halford & Brough >> Cybulski & Solkowski and Shah & Jang

Donnie & The Moj > Riccio & Janda

Sekeres & Price = Walker & Rintoul

The "after hours" shows are equal on both station (although I don't listen to either)

Both have good regular guests (e.g. Ferraro/McKenzie on TSN; Burke/Bertuzzi on SN)

Since they got rid of Pratt, 1040 wins.

I think Halford & Brough, Sekeres & Price, and Walker & Rintoul are in a top tier by themselves.  The rest all have cringeworthy moments that make me turn the dial.

I usually flip between the two (to whomever is discussing the Canucks), but I default to 1040 unless I hear something that makes me switch (like a commercial, or soccer talk).

P.S. I know some of you hate Botchford, but he is actually really good radio IMO.  If I was running a radio station, I would be offering him a full-time job.

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Like on 650: Rick Dhaliwal, Alex Auld, Corey Hisch, Scott Rintoul, guests Elliott Friedman and Brian Burke and John Shannon, and Doug McLean.

Mixed feelings: Dan Riccio, Bertuzzi and O'Brien (O'Brien most of the time), rest of the morning crew, Satiar Shah, Randeep Jandha, Joey Kenward.

Dislike on 650: Jawn Jang (too dramatic for my liking), the guy that's on with Scott Rintoul, the girl that's on at night.

Turn the radio to TSN: when Nick Kypreos comes on.  Can't stand him.  He's the worst part of HNIC.

Like on 1040: Don Taylor, Tom Mayenecht. 

Dislike: everyone else, especially the passive-aggressive clown Jeff Patterson, Blake Price, Matt Sekeres, Farhan Lalji, and the guy stuffing himself at the buffet table.  Does Blotchford still appear on TSN?  If he does, I'd put him there.

good old MOJ

Reach Deep is annoying!  You can play a drinking game though.  Have a drink every time one of the hosts say “This is Dan Riccio and Randeep ..... and we are reach deep”  I swear they say that 20 plus times during their show.  I would much rather be cornered at a party by someone that just started cross fit than listen to those two morons.  Sometimes when i drive, I’m in a zone and then I realize those two are on.  Back to 1040.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Automatic loss for 650. 

Captusre.JPG.b5d88eaffb6e712c4cafd0dacaa2555c.JPG

Walker always comes across as if he’s thinks he’s better than everyone else’s (he probably actually does).

I only listen to podcasts, don’t know how anybody can stand all the commercials on any radio station.

I download episodes from mostly all shows on both 650 and 1040, but I find myself only listening to Halford & Brough lately, before them it was Sekeres & Price.

Pratt was unbearable, never listened to him, glad he’s gone.

Donnie & The Moj I only listen to for certain reactions. I don’t really want to hear who their favourite 80’s band was.

I basically hate listen to 1040.

The media doesn’t know how to cover a rebuilding hockey team, especially after years of being a good team. 

1040 is terrible.  It was decent when it started and then became a business textbook example of what happens when someone has a monopoly.  Percentage of airtime that is ads increasing year after year after year.  Expanding and buying a second station when they were already piping in American feeds as soon as dinner time came around every day, now with two stations cramming American talk radio down the listeners' throats 30-50% of every day because they can't be bothered making content.  And of the portion that was original content, how much was whether Dave Pratt would or would not do it with Kim Kardashian...

I listen to tsn everyday. I tried 650, but couldn't get into the personalities. I love the personalities in tsn, I value the humour and silliness. I also notice 650 is too homer and I like how tsn is more critical since they do not have the rights. The comment to tsn is too Toronto biased... I never hear it. They hate Toronto.

• Upvote 1

Prefer 1040 for sure. H&B is my favourite show on either station. Don't usually listen to the other 1040 shows, but 1040 has great guests so I checkout alot of the audio clips.

650 often has terrible reception first & foremost. I do like Canucks central. Really enjoy listening to Auld as an analyst. And I like listening to Sat & Jawn for their draft talk/guests. Don't really care for much else though. The morning show is worse than Pratt, don't care about reachdeep. I respect Rintoul & think Walker has his place, but don't listen to them other than their hits with Friedman. 

One of the noticeable differences I find is interviews. Most the 650 guys are too long-winded in their questions. I'm sure it doesn't help that 650 has the rights, but I'll just put it this way; If there's an interview with Jim Benning happening I'd much rather it be on 1040. Thought H&B knocked it out of the park when they had Jim on before the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1