The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

dpn1

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I listen to the 650 postgame show now instead of 1040.  With Kenward as the host its obvs alot less critical of the Canucks (sometimes just, sometimes not) but I prefer listening to Alex Auld then Blake Price, so that tips it for me. Really thought 650 missed an opportunity when they were going against Pratt in the morning. Shoulda got rid of C-Bull. 

1040 is still way ahead. The cuts came from Toronto IIRC. Don't think 1040 is on the brink or anything.

Originally I wished 1040 put Donnie & Moj in the morning instead of H&B. But now I just download the H&B podcast's.

I can listen to the whole show while I work (usually start around 7-8), I can pause, don't get the commercials, get to hear the full show and I'm always ahead so the next hour is ready to be downloaded. Its working out alot better than I thought. Plus it takes up most of my route so I don't have to listen to Donnie & Moj at all. 

And not a Botchford fan but I do enjoy having the hour dedicated to hardcore Canucks talk, so I'm happy they have it twice a week now. 

I do not understand why Botchford need to scream every time he speaks when he is on H&B. His insight is good but that is pretty annoying.

As for my preference, I listen to 1040 and only listen to the 650 Canucks broadcast when I am driving. 

Edited by ey40

22 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Halford & Brough >> Cybulski & Solkowski and Shah & Jang

Donnie & The Moj > Riccio & Janda

Sekeres & Price = Walker & Rintoul 

The "after hours" shows are equal on both station (although I don't listen to either)

Both have good regular guests (e.g. Ferraro/McKenzie on TSN; Burke/Bertuzzi on SN)

Since they got rid of Pratt, 1040 wins.

I think Halford & Brough, Sekeres & Price, and Walker & Rintoul are in a top tier by themselves.  The rest all have cringeworthy moments that make me turn the dial.

I usually flip between the two (to whomever is discussing the Canucks), but I default to 1040 unless I hear something that makes me switch (like a commercial, or soccer talk).

P.S. I know some of you hate Botchford, but he is actually really good radio IMO.  If I was running a radio station, I would be offering him a full-time job.

It takes guts on CDC to admit you like Botchford. But I'm with you. As someone else said, his shouting can be a little annoying, but its his schtick and he only does it for emphasis to make a point. Some of those points I am just waiting for someone, anyone, else in the media to be as passionate about certain bad managment decisions, or bad calls on the ice, etc.. There's a place for calm boring analysis of stats and not showing emotion for the local team.  I get that from the guests, on both stations. As well as former player hosts. I need someone like Botch that can perfectly express frustrations I have with this  team. Maybe if the team was more competitive in the last few years, there'd be no need for a Botch in my listening day. But it is what it is.  Botch + Halford & Brough = great radio. 

I just like that we have two dedicated sports talk stations with local content. And I can switch to the other one if the one I'm on is talking about some high school basketball competition in the southern USA, or Golf, or Blue Jays.

650  :  I like Rintoul, Auld, Hirch, and Bertuzzi and Higgins when they are guests. I like their post game better than 1040

Don't like Sat Shah.  And he seems to be on every time I turn it on. He was fine as the producer on 1040, when he just contributed once in awhile, but he should not have been gifted a whole talk show like that so soon. He's terrible at broadcasting. Talks so fast, and run-on sentences where he says the same thing 3 different ways.  Interrupts his co-hosts before they even get out their position to repeat again his counter opinion, just to make sure.  I just can't listen to him more that five minutes.

1040 : I like Donnie & Moj, Halford & Brough, Sekeres & Price (Okay, but they are BOTH getting very Sekeresy).  And 1040 guests are better, more established respected hockey pundits.  Paterson gets very annoying, maybe because he is on so much.  He's quite negative. But as with Botchford, I need to hear someone else express my frustration sometimes.  If you think Botchford and Paterson are too negative on their own, try their podcast, the Patcast.  Its not like they don't go gaga over players like Pettersson like everyone else. But as far as being critical, ahem......(in my loudest JB voice) "THE TEAM HAS SUCKED FOR 5 YEARS WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!"

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think they are a natural balance for one another. I would say they are both subpar though. I feel we need them both though. I think they got to many hours of coverage and not enough quality hosts. It's a watered down product with imo poor host evaluation skills. 

Halford and Brough imo have saved 1040 from being completely gutted.

Halford & Brough are probably the best talent on either station, but them on 1040 is like a pair of diamonds sitting on a boat made of rotting Swiss cheese floating semi-submerged in a sewage treatment cesspool.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ey40 said:

I do not understand why Botchford need to scream every time he speaks when he is on H&B. His insight is good but that is pretty annoying.

As for my preference, I listen to 1040 and only listen to the 650 Canucks broadcast when I am driving. 

Yeah he thinks its some great thing. Maybe at first it had some pop to it, now its just annoying & overdone.

But if you mention it to him on Twitter he'll probably block you. Lol

Botch has decent points, I appreciate his insight & agree with things he says absolutely. Its just every take being based only on analytics gets a bit tiring. 

Like Motte is a decent 4th line guy who gets ragged on for no great reason. He has more goals than Goldobin as a 4th liner, yet I've had to hear PP/60 arguments for why Goldobin should be spoonfed minutes with Pettersson. 

Earlier in the year he was on about how Tanev/Edler aren't good & could be replaced by Hutton/Stecher (when they were logging 25+ in Edler/Tanev's absence). Now Hutton actually isn't that good & everyone else was overrating him this whole time. 

And Dubas is amazing, the Nylander contract was great, yada yada... (except he's never had the production worthy of that contract, even when he was playing well.) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Botch has decent points, I appreciate his insight & agree with things he says absolutely. Its just every take being based only on analytics gets a bit tiring. 

Like Motte is a decent 4th line guy who gets ragged on for no great reason. He has more goals than Goldobin as a 4th liner, yet I've had to hear PP/60 arguments for why Goldobin should be spoonfed minutes with Pettersson. 

Earlier in the year he was on about how Tanev/Edler aren't good & could be replaced by Hutton/Stecher (when they were logging 25+ in Edler/Tanev's absence). Now Hutton actually isn't that good & everyone else was overrating him this whole time. 

And Dubas is amazing, the Nylander contract was great, yada yada... (except he's never had the production worthy of that contract, even when he was playing well.) 

Botch is so good at having a selective memory about all the things that he said that ended up wildly inaccurate. I think he has started to learn from this, but not in a good way, as he just finds 18 different ways to say the same thing... and then he spends a week saying that thing.

I really really really want to like 650, but I find myself listening to 1040 more often. Loyal to Donny and I find H&B can be pretty great every now and again. 

When 650 first started I switched completely to it. I could not stand Sekeres, Bro Jake, and Pratt. Lately I do flip back and forth more often. I really like Halford and Brough on 1040 and Botchford. I don't dislike any of the personalities on 650 and I really enjoy Auld's opinion and perspective. 

The only people worth listening to are Hirsch, Auld and Rintoul.   Hirsh and Auld are truthfully the only people qualified to have an opinion worth listening to.    

Its so obvious that there is a negative bias on these stations.  According to them, turmoil is what sells, and negative press and arm chair gm'ing is what gets them airtime.   Botchford and Sat Shah seriously are making even Pratt look good these days.   

Can we have a thread next season where we specifically hold these media guys responsible for the things they say?    They are constantly wrong so often on so many levels.  As a fan of sports in general its become insulting to have to listen to them go on and on as if their word is gospel. 

Edited by EddieVedder

On 4/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, ey40 said:

Glad to hear I am not the only one annoyed by this.  I generally switch back and forth between the two  depending who is on and what the subject is.  But the moment Botch starts screaming, I switch it and don’t go back for the day.  Or until four when Ferraro is on 

• 8 months later...

Heard Jeff Patterson on 1040 this am. Wow what a whiner, he was all hurt and striking out because some people blame the media for a bunch of the talk around the Canucks.

He gets paid to critique the Canuck organization, but try to be a bit critical of the media and he swings into "lash out mode", like a butt hurt teenager.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Heard Jeff Patterson on 1040 this am. Wow what a whiner, he was all hurt and striking out because some people blame the media for a bunch of the talk around the Canucks.

He gets paid to critique the Canuck organization, but try to be a bit critical of the media and he swings into "lash out mode", like a butt hurt teenager.

He’s such a little weasel. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

These guys trade on the perception that have have keen insight .They have to protect this perception in order to remain relevant and employed.  If people clue in to the fact that they're just dudes (albeit somewhat connected in some cases) in a studio they run the risk of losing the ear of the fans. Fortunately for them there are enough fans that don't know any better .

• Upvote 2