Sign in to follow this  
dpn1

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

1040 or 650?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh here we go again with the 1040 hate lol.

Almost everyone at 1040 comes across as more reasonable than the folks criticizing them.  

Do I agree with them all the time? No but should that be required?  Y'all are weird sometimes.

• Upvote 1

If you are hosting a Sports Talk Show talk about sports.  No one cares about movies, celebrities, food reviews and so on.  Stick to sports issues and cut the 'other' stuff.

• Upvote 1

I've previously listed my grievances with 1040, so I will spare the audience.

I do find it surprising just how unpopular sports radio is in general. Between 650 and 1040, they command  just over 4% of the radio hours in the past few months

https://broadcastdialogue.com/fall-2019-ppm-ratings-for-vancouver-calgary-edmonton-toronto-montreal/

TSN 1260 in the Edmonton region isn't that bad. Even if it's all Oilers all the time. None of the hosts are 'sports entertainment' guys. They are critical but not hardcore downers. It's refreshing to not have them be so negatively driven. In fact on Fridays on my way home from work, the hosts at that time promote a Positive Friday atmosphere. It's rather refreshing compared to all the years of constant negativity on the Vancouver air waves. Jason Strudwick is a co-host at that time too and he's better than almost everyone on 1040.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RonMexico said:

TSN 1260 in the Edmonton region isn't that bad. Even if it's all Oilers all the time. None of the hosts are 'sports entertainment' guys. They are critical but not hardcore downers. It's refreshing to not have them be so negatively driven. In fact on Fridays on my way home from work, the hosts at that time promote a Positive Friday atmosphere. It's rather refreshing compared to all the years of constant negativity on the Vancouver air waves. Jason Strudwick is a co-host at that time too and he's better than almost everyone on 1040.

Strudwick? The guy that was all for Matheson's gutless choke slam on a 19 year old rookie? I'll pass.

My problem with Vancouver sports radio, 1040 in particular (because that's what I listen to most) is that everything is "the sky is falling" but I guess half the fan base does that too. I have always said they don't know how to react to a rebuilding team. Their analysis after every game is always as if they were supposed to win every game, even if were not a great team. They should be talking about the nuances of each game and individual performances and assessing those things. I don't know if they can't do those things because they never played high level hockey. Brough in particular said before the season that he thought we had a 35% chance of making the playoffs, now he's freaking out that were not in a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I tune to 650 when Sekeras and Price are on. I cant stand those 2 idiots.

Only tune into 1040 when its Donnie and Moj.

Thats funny I am opposite.  I can't stand Donny and Moj but will flip back over for Sekeras and Price, but thats probably because I can't stand Walker on 650 at all.

My list for Vancouver Sports radio that I like to listen to...

Halford/Brough

Scotty

Shah

The rest can go into a blender after those 3 shows.  Just bummed out they put Shah with Walker after the recent shakeup.

Now I am from Australia and limited to the coverage I can get, so I listen to SN650 podcast and the 1040 post game, but what is Walker's deal? He seems like an absolute moron

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AussieHorvatFan said:

Now I am from Australia and limited to the coverage I can get, so I listen to SN650 podcast and the 1040 post game, but what is Walker's deal? He seems like an absolute moron

I listen to both stations too.  1040 for the morning show.  650 for Scotty Rintoul’s show.  Then back to 1040 for the afternoon/evening show.  I cannot stand the 650 guys in the morning and Walker in the afternoon/evening.  

22 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I tune to 650 when Sekeras and Price are on. I cant stand those 2 idiots.

Only tune into 1040 when its Donnie and Moj.

I preferred Donnie and the Moj when they were apart.  They’re the only TSN guys I don’t listen to.  If Scotty took their place I’d be tuned in to 1040 all day.  1040 has Dhaliwal now too.  

On 12/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Tyndall2 said:

If you are hosting a Sports Talk Show talk about sports.  No one cares about movies, celebrities, food reviews and so on.  Stick to sports issues and cut the 'other' stuff.

Jim Rome had arguably the most popular sports talk show in North America for a time and his show was a mixed bag. There is only so much Canuck related topics you can talk about for 13 hours of being on the radio. 

On 12/18/2019 at 3:41 PM, Tyndall2 said:

That sounds like the most boring show ever. It's analysis paralysis. 

17 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jim Rome had arguably the most popular sports talk show in North America for a time and his show was a mixed bag. There is only so much Canuck related topics you can talk about for 13 hours of being on the radio. 

There are other sports than hockey and even other teams in the NHL as well as other leagues of hockey.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

There are other sports than hockey and even other teams in the NHL as well as other leagues of hockey.

giphy-2-2.gif.63a47593fd91c1b74fc0e50beda246db.gif

• Haha 2

They are both decent except when they start talking about absurd things and think it is hilarious.

At least not every show sounds like either an apology or sales job for the Canucks. "Hey they lost 8=0, got out shot 65 to 10, but boy that Hughes sure skated good eh?":lol:

4 hours ago, gurn said:

I listen to 1040 daily and they do their fair share of talking other sports and other teams in the NHL. Not sure what you are getting at. 

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

I listen to 1040 daily and they do their fair share of talking other sports and other teams in the NHL. Not sure what you are getting at. 

And they also spend large amounts of time talking about bars, Moj's eating habits and on and on.

I'd rather that time be spent discussing sports.