The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

dpn1

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I miss Canucks lunch with Shah and Auld.

Also, Jawn Jang made me laugh. Dan is a ham (in the best way possible) and Randip always trips over his words.

The starting lineup is garbage, only thing they have going is Burkie, Bertuzzi and Jovo 

My work truck doesn't get 1040 so I cant compare. Used to be diehard when i lived up island.

Don Taylor needs to go to 650.   Then it wouldn’t even be a question.   
I like 650 in the morning. 
1040 when Taylor comes on.  

Vancouver radio fans have had a pretty rough go the last couple years.  

Pratt, Bro Jake, Sekeras.    Oooofff. 
Thats a lot of garbage right there, and there are still some smaller bags left in the back.     1040 is terrible. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Sportsnet 650 is getting clobbered by 1040

Latest ratings book has tough news for Sportsnet 650

https://theprovince.com/sports/latest-ratings-book-has-tough-news-for-sportsnet-650

I think this has less to do with the staff, and more to do with the fact there's no games being broadcast. 1.5 and 1.9 is pretty bad for both stations. Both have let go long time staff. Donnie and the Moj are the basic difference with the two stations. Bottom line if no one is listening in the first place, your numbers don't drop as much. The reality is there is room for only one sports station in town. We saw it back in The Team vs Mojo. I also don't listen to AM730. Because for the time being I don't commute to work. 

• Thanks 1

For starters I can't even get 650 clear at work, get a better antenna?  Second it's like listening to the Milk & Vanilla show - zero personality and tbh they all sound the same.  Lastly eastern hacks Walker is a bigger tool than Sekeres.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think this has less to do with the staff, and more to do with the fact there's no games being broadcast.

I never had any inclination to listen to the radio while I am at home - so I imagine a lot of people that are not working are doing the same.  Even if the Nucks were in the playoffs and won the day before I am not tuning in on a day off.  

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't listen a lot to either 650 or 1040. Quite recently I can't download 1040. I've tried reinstalling, I tried clearing cookies, it simply never works. Any one else have that problem on 1040 ?

Sometimes 1040 can be a pain.

I have had to  go to this site, https://www.iheart.com/,from time to time to get the station

1040 is either commercials or personal chit chat blather. When there is hockey 650 talks hockey. 

I like some of the drop-ins on 1040 but I can listen to them by going to the website and listening to their selected podcasts.

Not a big fan of JD Burke and I can do without all that Social Justice BS in general. 

Both stations have their good points and bad points. Mostly though I like that there are two stations I can flip between.

But if I had to pick one, its 1040 by a landslide. I can totally see why they are so far ahead.

1040 realize that although with sports itself, stats and scores and serious analysis is of utmost importance, sports talk radio is another animal. And as Taylor says all the time, entertainment is a key element.  It keeps listeners listening for those times between score updates, or when guest analysts are on, or hosts themselves do an editorial. I always enjoyed the Kurtenbloggers when they had their old show once a week, even before they had the NBC gig.  Why?...Because they sounded just like how I would envision me and my mates sitting around having a pint talking about the Canucks, and joking around at the same time. Going off on silly tangents.. Just reciting stats and dry analysis may be great for a hard core minority, but most listeners want a more human experience. 1040 saw that in them before 650.

Some hosts can keep more to serious discussion, if they are very knowledgeable and smart. And that works too if they are that capable. The only one in Vancouver that meets that bar for me is Scott Rintoul @ 650. The other hosts there seem to be trying way too hard to be "entertaining" like their more popular competition. But they can't compete with the personalities on 1040. 650 has hosts that, as someone else said, all sound that same, excluding Rintoul. And even when they land an established voice like Rick Dhaliwal, they treat him like a fool and he's now back in the 1040 fold who know how to rib him but also respect his own reports based on his long crafted relationships with important sources. Big loss for 650, and yet another amateur move.

Along with long time Vancouver voices like Donny and the Moj, 1040 has such a head start with long held relationships with important hockey pundits that are regulars. I think that Mr. TSN 1040 and all the hosts, took it as a personal challenge to stay on top after they lost the rights to broadcast Canuck games, to STILL be the choice for most to get their Canucks fix. And to make SN pissed and the 650 executives hate them. It worked.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, dpn1 said:

Not a big 650 fan,  I like the Morning show on 1040.  They make me laugh   I like Donnie and Moj but hate Sekaras and Price.  They are so pompous.  B)

Yah Halford and Brough are top quality.  Out of both stations they’re the only guys that I listen to consistently when the hockey season is going on.

• Cheers 1

I listen to particular segments from each station.

Sportsnet 650 - Scott Rintoul from 9-11pm, Canucks central with Bik Nizzar 12pm.  Actually really have enjoyed Bik Nizzar, as a local boy and who seems to have a fairly level headed assessment on hockey topics.  He even listens to listeners without shooting down right away.  Scotty Rintoul another local boy seems to be the best of the bunch from both stations, just exudes professionalism, thoughtfulness, and just great understanding of the team and the fanbase.

TSN 1040 - Donny and the Moj from 10-2pm, I find they are more funny more and more these days.  Even with Ryan Henderson as their switchboard technician joins in and the banter is pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Awww the people here were trying so hard to spread hatred for 1040 too!

Keep trying folks!  It amuses me!