The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Speed of the game is a major reason..  the puck is small compared a soccer ball or football and easily hidden out if view. Hooking and holding could be done for a split second to slow down a player. 

Refs in every sport make mistakes..  NFL is always talking about refs and rules. UFC often has controversy over early stoppages. 

Basketball is a very fast game as well. And I don't really buy the idea that the size of the puck is a contributing factor, as the NHL should be hiring officials with 20/20 vision, and a refined capability to track the puck at all times.

Not calling every hook or slash is fine, as long is it's done across the board. Not calling a hook that doesn't impede a player too much makes sense. Not calling a hook on a player on a breakaway, is not.

The major issues I have with NHL refs are when they clearly see an infraction, such as a player being clearly offside, and not calling it. Or when they create make-up calls out of nowhere to compensate for missing a blatant infraction that led to a change in the game (the score or an injury to a player).

Certainly, no one is perfect, but the standard of officiating is pretty poor based on what I see league wide.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why is hockey so much tougher than officiating any other sport?

Because it's so fast and the changes are, literally, milliseconds.  Additionally, you have 12 players on the ice, 10 of the smashing into each at other at high speeds on a 200x85 slippery surface .  You have to watch the puck, watch sticks, watch the players away from the puck, all while keeping yourself out of the play.  I can't think of a sport that comes even remotely close.

Just now, stawns said:

Because it's so fast and the changes are, literally, milliseconds.  Additionally, you have 12 players on the ice, 10 of the smashing into each at other at high speeds on a 200x85 slippery surface .  You have to watch the puck, watch sticks, watch the players away from the puck, all while keeping yourself out of the play.  I can't think of a sport that comes even remotely close.

Lacrosse? 

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Is it time we make an official officiating complaint thread? Every PGT loss its the same story.

Sure. I just don't want it to become an NHL is out to get Vancouver thread, as I've seen instances throughout the league that have been questionable. I'd be interested in knowing what type of internal disciplinary mechanism there is in place for officials who make questionable calls, game in and game out. Are they held to a standard, and not given games when they come under review?

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lacrosse? 

Lacrosse is so much slower than hockey, for no other reason that they are on foot, and therefore more stable.  Plus, lacrosse strategy plays more like basketball than hockey, imo.

So I decided to see if i could catch the highlights on Rogers/sportsnet. About 15 mins into the show after lakers vs GS they show the Canucks highlights. They don't even show Nashville score their first goal. Don't mention any of the video reviews of the 2nd goal just gloss it all over. The highlights last a total of maybe 30 secs. Don't know why i bothered. I guess my point is I'm tired of the eastern media controlling all the sports coverage in Canada.

Just now, canuckfromlangley said:

So I decided to see if i could catch the highlights on Rogers/sportsnet. About 15 mins into the show after lakers vs GS they show the Canucks highlights. They don't even show Nashville score their first goal. Don't mention any of the video reviews of the 2nd goal just gloss it all over. The highlights last a total of maybe 30 secs. Don't know why i bothered. I guess my point is I'm tired of the eastern media controlling all the sports coverage in Canada.

The condensed game video is 8+ minutes long. Probably your best bet for seeing a game summary. I hear you though. The eastern media does have an angle that doesn't jibe with the rest of the country.

NHL refs get to skate and the "playing field" is much smaller in relation to CFL/NFL refs who have to RUN and the field covers over 100 yards!    With everyone smashing each other at once, not in isolation like hockey.

I don't buy "it's the toughest" or "best of the best". 

I think they try to pick the best, but that shows over time and some prove to be while others, not so much.  Like Auger. 

Again, I feel like they're "softening" on us and that we no longer are black marked.  I don't, for a second, doubt that we were at one point. 

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

They are the best in the world.......where is it you think you'll find better officials?

Doing something for a long time doesn't mean you're the best in the world at it.  Also, as with any other profession, there will be good ones, and bad ones, and there will be inherent personal biases and relationships.  If you believe that NHL officials don't dislike certain players or certain teams, you're living in la-la-land.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doing something for a long time doesn't mean you're the best in the world at it.  Also, as with any other profession, there will be good ones, and bad ones, and there will be inherent personal biases and relationships.  If you believe that NHL officials don't dislike certain players or certain teams, you're living in la-la-land.

There is a certain amount of bias that has crept into the profession in the NHL, for sure.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who said they didn't and who said anything about length of service?  All I'm saying is the whining about substandard officiating is moot because they the best in the world, if you don't think they are, where would they find better officials?

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

NHL refs get to skate and the "playing field" is much smaller in relation to CFL/NFL refs who have to RUN and the field covers over 100 yards!    With everyone smashing each other at once, not in isolation like hockey.

I don't buy "it's the toughest" or "best of the best". 

I think they try to pick the best, but that shows over time and some prove to be while others, not so much.  Like Auger. 

Again, I feel like they're "softening" on us and that we no longer are black marked.  I don't, for a second, doubt that we were at one point. 

How do you think NHL officials are chosen?  Obviously there's going to be some that are better than the others, but there's over 2500 NHL games every season, that means there's going to be a lot of officials and, thus, a wide variety.  It doesn't change the fact that they are the best of the best.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There is a certain amount of bias that has crept into the profession in the NHL, for sure.

That's nothing new, in fact, I'd say there's less bias now than there ever has been.

Archived