The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

They don't necessarily need to find better officials.  They just need to enforce better standards.  Consistency is all that truly matters such that a standard could be established.  That alone would eliminate many opportunities for bias.  Understandably, missed calls during a game that happens as quickly as hockey is expected... but given the advancement of video replays, there should be no reason for such blatant inconsistencies with video reviews. 

The first goal by Nashville is a perfect example.  How many times have we witnessed goals being disallowed due to "intent to blow the whistle" being the standard for a disallowed goal?  Yet the Nashville goal calls it that the puck is in a continuous motion going into the net even though the whistle had clearly been blown (didn't even need the intent of blowing the whistle). 

Standards and Consistency >>>>> "better officials"

Exactly! Great post! If the league was serious about better officiating, they'd enforce better standards and be more consistent. It's glaringly obvious and certainly not rocket science. They're not serious about it at all. 

12 hours ago, tas said:

so your knock on benning's drafting is that because the canucks 3 best prospects are all nhl ready, the remaining list looks underwhelming compared to other teams whose best prospects AREN'T nhl ready?

seems logical. 

sorry i'm looking at other teams prospect minus the first rounders.. ours are underwhelming compared to others

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

The puck was also deflected to the goalscorer off a teammate's glove.  A whole lot of strange calls last night.

I thought that happened when I saw it live, but didnt catch it on the replay... guess i was distracted focusing on the goalie interference.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Each one should have learned the same rulebook - there's one.  So your "personality" shouldn't really be a factor.   You see something, you address it.  You don't (and shouldn't) have to rely on anything but knowledge and what you witness.     Making it "personal" isn't supposed to be part of it.

They're not robots Deb.  To be honest, I like that refs have different styles and standards for infractions.  I honestly believe it adds more depth and personality to the game.  

The "ref conspiracy" is just the symptom of an insecure fan base, who haven't played much themselves.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, in a profession where one has to be completely unbiased in how they see and call a game, I can't see how that's okay. Human error, fair enough.

That being said, I think due to the fact that a lot of officials have retired, there has been a pretty steady influx of new officials coming into the league, which is part of the reason for less. Hopefully a good sign for the future.

I don't see much bias to be honest.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly! Great post! If the league was serious about better officiating, they'd enforce better standards and be more consistent. It's glaringly obvious and certainly not rocket science. They're not serious about it at all. 

While i want to be a homer about this, maybe they call intent to blow whistle when the goalie actually has the puck and then it gets jammed in (so basically not a continuous motion) 

I've said this many times. The leagues should not be allowed to run their own officiating. Especially since they promote gambling on the sport. Its time officiating has its own league and all sports answer to it. Imagine Gary Bettman and a owner mad at how something is done because it was done fair? Or a Canadian team hoist the cup because penalties were even in a series. Or a team winning 3-1 get a powerplay because of a blatant trip etc. I am starting to think its more of a show than a sport!

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Late to the PGT but despite the bizarre goals against and some damn fine non-officiating, I thought we got what we deserved in the third.  There were numerous times where we had all five players just standing outside the Preds zone waiting for them to break out.  A completely defensive trap period with no attempt to generate any meaningful offense.  Crap to watch and obviously not effective.  I would rather lose watching our guys trying to play a 200' hockey game than that kind of garbage defense.  

Normally I'd agree with you on this - if a team is simply allowing their opponent to come at you in waves when they are trailing, dump and change = nothing worse than sitting back playing "prevent".

However, I don't think that's necessarily what happened last night.

A few things - their young players - Hughes, Boeser,  EP, Rafferty, Gaudette - were all pretty much conceding territory regardless.  Understandable - the Preds were already a deep contender - and went out and added Simmonds, Granlund... I was pretty impressed that the Canucks group was able to hang with them as well as they did 33-32 shots.... And that with a couple pairings imo - Hutton Rafferty and Hughes Schenn - that you're not necessarily going to push the issue with even at the best of times.

And still, shots in the 3rd period were only 12-8 - with a couple fairly seeing-eye goals - one an open net for Bonino with Markstrom pretzeled in the net, and the other an own-goal off Stecher.   Overall I thought the Predators were relatively unimpressive considering their roster - and the third period imo was more of a twilight zone 'collapse' as opposed to bending too much under pressure.  I don't really see it as a consequence of a 'trap' / systems-adjustment approach.  The defense - one guy a rookie in his 4th game, another rookie in his first NHL game, one of them partnered with a placeholder.... is only going to look so good under the circumstances.  Edler once again playing nearly 28 minutes - is going to need to sleep for a month after the St Louis game to close the season.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Normally I'd agree with you on this - if a team is simply allowing their opponent to come at you in waves when they are trailing, dump and change = nothing worse than sitting back playing "prevent".

A few things - their young players - Hughes, Boeser,  EP, Rafferty, Gaudette - were all pretty much conceding territory regardless.  Understandable - the Preds were already a deep contender - and went out and added Simmonds, Granlund... I was pretty impressed that the Canucks group was able to hang with them as well as they did 33-32 shots.... And that with a couple pairings imo - Hutton Rafferty and Hughes Schenn - that you're not necessarily going to push the issue with even at the best of times.

And still, shots in the 3rd period were only 12-8 - with a couple fairly seeing-eye goals - one an open net for Bonino with Markstrom pretzeled in the net, and the other an own-goal off Stecher.   Overall I thought the Predators were relatively unimpressive considering their roster - and the third period imo was more of a twilight zone 'collapse' as opposed to bending too much under pressure.  I don't really see it as a consequence of a 'trap' / systems-adjustment approach.  The defense - one guy a rookie in his 4th game, another rookie in his first NHL game, one of them partnered with a placeholder.... is only going to look so good under the circumstances.  Edler once again playing nearly 28 minutes - is going to need to sleep for a month after the St Louis game to close the season.

I have to say, I didn't need to use the Thesaurus once!

I am really looking forward to next season. It may not seem like it to some, but our team has taken a step forward. Let’s improve our D a notch or two and maybe we can make a much stronger run in the end of our next campaign. Excited i tell ya dang excited 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe she’s a breath of fresh air and calls it how she’s sees it.  If your going to say something “stupid” expect some judgement.   Nothing wrong with that. 

Listen man, most people on these boards are all some level of a Canuck fan unless you are a troll which I don’t think are that many. Some are new and some have been fans for years.  We are all at different levels of support at different times.  Some fans will be be excited about the future and happy to express that.  Some might not be fans of the direction and express that.  That may also change within a season. Point being that we don’t need or want people telling us that if we aren’t supportive or don’t share the same viewpoint then we need to take a hike.  It’s a message board that is open to all opinions. If you don’t like someone’s view then mute them or ignore them. If someone says something that you don’t necessarily agree with doesn’t make it stupid.

I hope that for the most part I try and be funny and speak as positively as possible but I have watched this team for 40 years now and I consider myself a diehard.  I may be pessimistic sometimes but don’t question my fandom (not saying that you are).

Below is one of my first games. 

B2A1D77B-125E-419C-90CF-59E68F69AA2C.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

EP40 I think has just ran out of gas. It's a big difference in the NHL grind over 82 games. 

I also think Petey is way to proud and wants to compete so much, that he'd be ok sitting some games, so here we are. 

EP40 is just going to get better. A summer of rest, training, a little bit of bulking up (but not too much), and he will be ready to rock next year and beyond. 

Putting his head down and busting his ass to catch up to negate a 2 on 1 will tire anyone out.

(I hope Green makes Goldy watch that effort on video for 15 mins every day. - but I fear he has given up on him)

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Late to the PGT but despite the bizarre goals against and some damn fine non-officiating, I thought we got what we deserved in the third.  There were numerous times where we had all five players just standing outside the Preds zone waiting for them to break out.  A completely defensive trap period with no attempt to generate any meaningful offense.  Crap to watch and obviously not effective.  I would rather lose watching our guys trying to play a 200' hockey game than that kind of garbage defense.  

I got the Pred's feed, and their commentators were saying how effective it was, stifling the Preds ability to get into the offensive zone, breaking up plays in the neutral zone before they developed momentum. They also were saying that it plays into the Canucks strengths - high speed, high octane counter attack

31 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Listen man, most people on these boards are all some level of a Canuck fan unless you are a troll which I don’t think are that many. Some are new and some have been fans for years.  We are all at different levels of support at different times.  Some fans will be be excited about the future and happy to express that.  Some might not be fans of the direction and express that.  That may also change within a season. Point being that we don’t need or want people telling us that if we aren’t supportive or don’t share the same viewpoint then we need to take a hike.  It’s a message board that is open to all opinions. If you don’t like someone’s view then mute them or ignore them. If someone says something that you don’t necessarily agree with doesn’t make it stupid.

I hope that for the most part I try and be funny and speak as positively as possible but I have watched this team for 40 years now and I consider myself a diehard.  I may be pessimistic sometimes but don’t question my fandom (not saying that you are).

Below is one of my first games. 

B2A1D77B-125E-419C-90CF-59E68F69AA2C.jpeg

That's gotta be pre 2000's

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's where the problem lies for me:

Once that whistle blows, the goaltender obviously lets up....so how's that fair?  Who's to say that Marky didn't shift enough to allow the puck to roll in BECAUSE the play had been stopped?

No biggie, but he deserved better.

The referee applied the rulebook.  It's not on the refs but on the rules and that's on the GMs who implemented those changes.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Nashville has not looked particularly good all season.  Even Poile admits that they are struggling and need to find a way to turn things around.  The teams around them got better and they kept the same roster.  Their speed has become average as everyone got faster.  Their 4 Ds was a novelty but now teams around them also have their Ds in the attack.  

There's not much offence past their 1st line and Turris has not lived up to his contract.  Poile is putting pressure on him and his wingers saying that he needs to get going or they won't succeed.  Granlund has 4 points in 15 games.  Simmonds is down to the 4th line - he can't skate anymore.

Archived