The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Blues -- 1PM -- 06/04/19 -- A New New Hope

xereau

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

sniff

gonna be a loooonnnnnnng off season waiting for this to resume - future's bright for sure

I think it is going to be a fun summer Deb.....

Win the lottery in a couple of days

Draft Lottery in Vancouver

UFA market...…...

then Sun and fun!

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

2 rookie centres

rookie RD

rookie goalie

I like the way were going

I think both Demko and Hughes (Hughes for sure) are classified as rookies next year

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I think both Demko and Hughes (Hughes for sure) are classified as rookies next year

Guess that should have read

2 rookie Centres

Rookie RD and LD

Rookie goalie

Hughes will be a rookie. I dont think Demko will be. I think him being on the roster/bench for more then 9 games makes him not a rookie.

Exciting thinking about next year. Wont have as many rookies but we should see continued growth of our young players. Hughes will be the only guaranteed rookie we have on the roster next year. But, MacEwen, Rafferty, Juolevi, Brisebois all have the chance to be there. Our 2019 pick might as well and any other free agent rookies we might sign. Kaski, Priskie and Mikheyev

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We need a centre next year, because like Tanev, Sutter is physically done.

I like your honesty -- I think you are right: neither of these guys is reliable.  Even Edler (and I'm a hater) is more reliable than these guys and he's into his 30s, and plays a more physical game.  It's easy to see the end of the road for an Iginla (I'm in my 40s) or a Malhotra (career ending injury) -- no ambiguity or confusion -- but with guys like Tanev and Sutter... it's the same thing but in slow motion.  And with a bit more hope, obviously.  

I think Gaudette might be good enough -- I sometimes wonder whether Gaunce would have been good enough -- but Pettersson and Horvat need a better follow up center.  

Any in this year's draft that you like?

18 hours ago, Pete M said:

Throw in Juolevi and maybe Woo... 4 on the same team.  And this year's pick if it's in the top 6... you may see the guy on the team (a lot of nice centers in the draft.)  Imagine 4 or even 5 rookies starting for the Canucks?  Another Calder nominee or two for sure.

44 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Throw in Juolevi and maybe Woo... 4 on the same team.  And this year's pick if it's in the top 6... you may see the guy on the team (a lot of nice centers in the draft.)  Imagine 4 or even 5 rookies starting for the Canucks?  Another Calder nominee or two for sure.

I think this is where a player like EK, if he recovers from injury, would be really good for the young "D" because EK is an elite talent, not a placeholder.

Sorry to say, they need to cut bait on some of the present day dmen.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

I think this is where a player like EK, if he recovers from injury, would be really good for the young "D" because EK is an elite talent, not a placeholder.

Sorry to say, they need to cut bait on some of the present day dmen.

Nothing wrong with an AHL career, beats a lot of jobs that the rest of us have had at times.  But, yes, we have a lot of D in the system and some prospects that are about to get to the next stage (Woo as well as some of the College guys).   So, players at the level of Pouliot are headed somewhere else.

And I can't imagine the Canucks aren't going to try and get another D... probably in FA market, maybe a trade.  So, the mediocre players are not going to be around next Fall.

15 hours ago, gameburn said:

I like your honesty -- I think you are right: neither of these guys is reliable.  Even Edler (and I'm a hater) is more reliable than these guys and he's into his 30s, and plays a more physical game.  It's easy to see the end of the road for an Iginla (I'm in my 40s) or a Malhotra (career ending injury) -- no ambiguity or confusion -- but with guys like Tanev and Sutter... it's the same thing but in slow motion.  And with a bit more hope, obviously.  

I think Gaudette might be good enough -- I sometimes wonder whether Gaunce would have been good enough -- but Pettersson and Horvat need a better follow up center.  

Any in this year's draft that you like?

I’m still thinking we need to build from the back out, but we should take the best player available - and that might be a forward.  Left wing is clearly a weakness for us - especially with Baertschi’s health being an issue.  We really do not have a first string left winger, but we also don’t really have a first string right shooting defender either (though I really liked our first view of Rafferty - he got better every period he played - significantly better) but I can’t really pick an available draft pick until I see where we finish. All other things being equal, as in there is nothing to choose between our options, I’d like another top flight D.  Our biggest problem as a team is getting out of our own end (though Hughes is sure helping with that - his acceleration and ability to find open ice (or to create it) is truly remarkable) - getting out of out of our own end will be a huge help to our wingers - they might start looking better next year.  So, if the talent level is equal, I’d take a right side D first, a left winger next choice and another centre after that.  Looking forward till Tuesday!

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m still thinking we need to build from the back out, but we should take the best player available - and that might be a forward.  Left wing is clearly a weakness for us - especially with Baertschi’s health being an issue.  We really do not have a first string left winger, but we also don’t really have a first string right shooting defender either (though I really liked our first view of Rafferty - he got better every period he played - significantly better) but I can’t really pick an available draft pick until I see where we finish. All other things being equal, as in there is nothing to choose between our options, I’d like another top flight D.  Our biggest problem as a team is getting out of our own end (though Hughes is sure helping with that - his acceleration and ability to find open ice (or to create it) is truly remarkable) - getting out of out of our own end will be a huge help to our wingers - they might start looking better next year.  So, if the talent level is equal, I’d take a right side D first, a left winger next choice and another centre after that.  Looking forward till Tuesday!

Yes, Hughes will be huge.  They could have him start half the shifts, the way they do with Horvat, and for the same reason: puck control and to get out of your own end.  His type of play will let him play huge minutes too.  The guy has elite skating skill, and like Pettersson is brilliant in crowded spaces.  Because he can pass so well (like Pettersson again) he can get play moving faster than any D we've ever had. (Skate, pass, use brains to delay).  

I have a funny feeling we move up in this year's draft... we are due.  We pick 6th I'm guessing... maybe even 3rd.

Archived