The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN650

AlwaysACanuckFan

Well he is right about a top 6 winger and a top 4 D being big holes to fill.

If we can sign a forward and create a packag to trade for a D it would be pretty ideal and push some other players down the roster where they may have more success as well.

2020 picks shouldn’t be off the tsble

for trades if we get a young player back who will grow with the team.

Agree with everything he said. Its nice there's no mixed messaging anymore, everyone seems to be on the same page right on down from Benning to Travis to the players & of course the fans.

In the past (when they were trying to accelerate) it felt at times like you had no idea what they wanted to do or why they wanted to do it. Now its basically everyone sees the same thing & Benning is ready to act on it.

Excited to see what he can pull off this offseason. 

29 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

This was the most interesting part of it for me...  

... get a feel for the things that happened down there this year (presumably talking about Dahlen and Palmu) and as to why they happened....  

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well he is right about a top 6 winger and a top 4 D being big holes to fill.

If we can sign a forward and create a packag to trade for a D it would be pretty ideal and push some other players down the roster where they may have more success as well.

2020 picks shouldn’t be off the tsble

for trades if we get a young player back who will grow with the team.

I doubt it happens through a trade. To expensive and we don't have excess pieces that will get us what we need. Draft and develop.

I can see Benning trying to sign Myers and a top6 forward like Nyquist, Nelson or Dzingel. Maybe a veteran LD as well.

Hopefully get another European or NCAA free agent D as well. Kaski or Priskie. Get one of these guys, draft Soderstrom. Trade Hutton to get another talented middle six winger for Bo. 

LD                              RD

Edler                          Stecher

Hughes                      Myers

UFA                            Tanev

Juolevi                       Schenn

Sautner                    Kaski or Priskie

Brisebois                   Soderstrom

Teves                          Rafferty

Get lucky with some free agents signings and we could be set up very nicely

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I doubt it happens through a trade. To expensive and we don't have excess pieces that will get us what we need. Draft and develop.

I can see Benning trying to sign Myers and a top6 forward like Nyquist, Nelson or Dzingel. Maybe a veteran LD as well.

Hopefully get another European or NCAA free agent D as well. Kaski or Priskie. Get one of these guys, draft Soderstrom. Trade Hutton to get another talented middle six winger for Bo. 

The only way that they get a top 6 via trade is if they take back a horrendous contract. They just don't have the pieces/depth to get a top 6 forward straight up/without sacrificing the future. 

______ Petey Boes

Baertschi?? Horvat Pearson

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

________ Beagle _________

Spooner, Schaller, Sutter, Granlund, Eriksson, Leivo, Goldobin, MacEwan, and Motte are all big question marks for different reasons. Canucks will move on from some (Goldy?), be forced to keep some (Sutter/Eriksson), and can platoon some (Leivo, Motte). I've got Baertschi as a question mark because it is all dependent on his health. Very solid second line guy, but only if he can stay healthy for more than 65+ games. 

There is just a ridiculous number of bottom 6 forwards on this team. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

... get a feel for the things that happened down there this year (presumably talking about Dahlen and Palmu) and as to why they happened....  

If he doesn't know whats going on down at the farm he should be handed his walking papers , it sounds like he has left it up to Ryan Johnson Utica's  and he effed up.

16 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

You forgot Woo. IMO our defence isn’t that bad as it seems. Gudbranson and Pouliot were awful defensively all season. Tanev and Edler were both injured for large parts of the season. I liked the steady prescience of Schenn.

For next season id be happy if we went with:

Edler-Stetcher

Hutton-Tanev

Hughes-Schenn

Biega

Juolevi

Sautner

Brisebois

We need 1 more top 6 forward to play with Horvat or hope Baerstchi stays healthy all year which is unlikely..

5 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

You forgot Woo. IMO our defence isn’t that bad as it seems. Gudbranson and Pouliot were awful defensively all season. Tanev and Edler were both injured for large parts of the season. I liked the steady prescience of Schenn.

For next season id be happy if we went with:

Edler-Stetcher

Hutton-Tanev

Hughes-Schenn

Biega

Juolevi

Sautner

Brisebois

We need 1 more top 6 forward to play with Horvat or hope Baerstchi stays healthy all year which is unlikely..

Highly doubt the Canucks do nothing and go with this next year. Id definitely look at signing a guy like Myers and trading Hutton. Sign a vet UFA on a 1 year deal and trade him as well as Tanev at the deadline. Then bring in more kids.

Start the season                         After trade deadline

Edler-Tanev                                Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers                           Hughes-Myers

UFA-Stecher                              Juolevi-Schenn

Sautner-Schenn                         Sautner-Rafferty

One more year of transitioning in our youth and then I think we are a playoff competitive team.

29 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

We certainly have pieces to make a trade.  We basically just have one bullet in the chamber of organizational depth though in order to make the right move.  

Pearson and Leivo have made Virtanen expendable.  Markstrom and Demko make DiPietro expendable.  Not that they aren’t useful players, but they arr also well served finding us a top 4 RD who has a point shot.

Virtanen, DiPietro, and a top 5 protected 2020 1st round pick is a solid package and we aren’t noticeably worse in their absence. 

Depending on the move and the other team’s needs, we also have Tanev, Hutton, Granlund, and Sutter who are decent trade chips in a package.

If he can add a winger and D man in free agency this team will make the playoffs. The kids are ready, nows the time for management to spend the money and make a push.

If we can sign say Gardiner and a forward somehow, this team will be in at least a wildcard spot come trade deadline.

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

We certainly have pieces to make a trade.  We basically just have one bullet in the chamber of organizational depth though in order to make the right move.  

Pearson and Leivo have made Virtanen expendable.  Markstrom and Demko make DiPietro expendable.  Not that they aren’t useful players, but they arr also well served finding us a top 4 RD who has a point shot.

Virtanen, DiPietro, and a top 5 protected 2020 1st round pick is a solid package and we aren’t noticeably worse in their absence. 

Depending on the move and the other team’s needs, we also have Tanev, Hutton, Granlund, and Sutter who are decent trade chips in a package.

In my mind at this stage of our rebuild I think this is a very bad idea. We need more young top end players. Virtanen could still develop into that middle six power forward we need and Id much rather have Benning picking in the first round then making a trade with that pick.

I agree that those other 4 players are expendable and traceable assets. But, Tanev needs to have a healthy start to next year to have any real value. Perhaps trade him at the deadline. Granlund has little value, 2nd rd pick maybe... probs a 3rd.

Hutton and Sutter are our only real expendable pieces but not sure what you get for them. Maybe a top 6 prospect and mid round pick. 

Hutton+ Sutter for Puljujarvi+2nd rd pick  ?   Would you do it? 

_____-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Puljujarvi

Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen

Leivo-Beagle-Motte

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

In my mind at this stage of our rebuild I think this is a very bad idea. We need more young top end players. Virtanen could still develop into that middle six power forward we need and Id much rather have Benning picking in the first round then making a trade with that pick.

I agree that those other 4 players are expendable and traceable assets. But, Tanev needs to have a healthy start to next year to have any real value. Perhaps trade him at the deadline. Granlund has little value, 2nd rd pick maybe... probs a 3rd.

Hutton and Sutter are our only real expendable pieces but not sure what you get for them. Maybe a top 6 prospect and mid round pick. 

Hutton+ Sutter for Puljujarvi+2nd rd pick  ?   Would you do it? 

_____-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Puljujarvi

Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen

Leivo-Beagle-Motte

If that was offered, JB should grab it and run and never look back.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Of the entire interview THIS is the standout for me.  It seems that Benning might not be thrilled with what happened and is looking for answers.  If he feels there's a genuine problem than I'd like to see what happens from here

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, that part stuck out for me too. Kind of unfortunate choice of words by JB, and when you read the Twitter replies, it’s about what you expect. People saying this means JB ignored Utica all season and is only going down there now to try to get a sense of the situation and address any issues. I think JB just means he’s going to do a standard year end review of the AHL affiliate, their progress this season, and areas where they need to adjust and improve. But you know the narrative is gonna be “why did he wait all season to fix problems” etc.

Need to get someone that can replace Tanev IMO then the defense will look better.

Schenn & Rafferty offer some nice depth. Hughes has been getting better & better. Then we still got Juolevi coming next season.

The contract Myers will demand is concerning. If they can get him a reasonable ticket then I'm in, but that part is critical. Otherwise, they'll have to go hard on the phones trying to find a RHD. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

If he doesn't know whats going on down at the farm he should be handed his walking papers , it sounds like he has left it up to Ryan Johnson Utica's  and he effed up.

Go pound sand. You want him to be a micro manager for the farm team? The coaches in Utica are professionals, and Benning is right to look into things now that this season is done, not before. 

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that part stuck out for me too. Kind of unfortunate choice of words by JB, and when you read the Twitter replies, it’s about what you expect. People saying this means JB ignored Utica all season and is only going down there now to try to get a sense of the situation and address any issues. I think JB just means he’s going to do a standard year end review of the AHL affiliate, their progress this season, and areas where they need to adjust and improve. But you know the narrative is gonna be “why did he wait all season to fix problems” etc.

There's always the possibility JB did in fact leave the farm to the farmhands because he was busy managing and scouting for the Canucks; add to that the Twitterverse is full of melodramatic blow hards who believe JB can be at two places at once and every other GM is micromanaging the people they hired to do a job.

At my job, which is in management a role, I'm left on my own until year end review. I either enjoy the review, or get my ass handed to me and screwed over on my bonus.

So I wouldn't be upset if JB isn't down in Utica regularly throughout the season. His job is in Vancouver and if the hands in Utica aren't up to standard, fire them after a year end review.

If the choices are 1) JB at an NCAA game scouting FA's then off to the OHL and Q to scout prospects, or 2) three days in Utica scouting the management and coaching staff he hired... I'm going with option 1. 

Staff can be reviewed at year end based on results and player interviews. 

Archived