The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Rate this topic

I think this confirms that tanking is totally pointless. The winner of the lottery is either completely random like they say, or some kind of agenda is being pushed. Either way, who cares? A top 10 pick is good. You can be a great team and not have any #1 overall picks. Besides, EP looks like he's better than both Hischier and Patrick so we basically have a #1 overall on our roster already. Hughes is also excellent. How many 1st overall picks did the Detroit Red Wings have for all the years they were good? The Kings and Bruins never had it and they each won the Stanley Cup at least once.

The draft is important, and yeah it's great to land a superstar in the top 3...but I don't think it's completely necessary. Look at Toronto and Edmonton?? Are they serious threats to win the Stanley Cup? Toronto is decent but I don't think they're even in the top 5 teams in the NHL. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Two more original six winners and east coast.  That this lottery is not held in the open says everything that needs to be said about its legitimacy.  Everything that is not open to public view is most likely corrupt - which is exactly why it’s not in view.

*insert Eddie Bravo meme*

Just now, stawns said:

Every team has a rep in the room for the actual lottery, it's not some backroom process. 

I never said it was a backroom process. Without seeing the actual process, though, there will be a significant portion of the fanbase who can't trust the process of simply having reps in the room and deem the process to be "rigged". Seeing the actual selection proces would actually build more trust and goodwill.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Oh really?  It is carried out in complete secrecy and the benefactors are all major market US teams.  No one can say it isn't rigged when there is nothing to say it is in any way legitimate.

No, no it's not.  It would, literally, take you less than 15 seconds to google it and find out the truth!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

The curse of the 10th overall pick.

2018 - Bouchard

2017 - Tippett

2016 - Jost

2015 - Rantanen

2014 - Ritchie

2013 - Nichushkin

2012 - Koekkoek

2011 -  Brodin

2010 - McIlrath

2009 - Cowen

2008 - Hodgson

2007 - Ellerby

2006 - Frolik

2005 - Bourdon

2004 - Valabik

2003 - Kostitsyn

2002 - Nystrom

2001 - Blackburn

2000 -  Yakubov

At least the streak is somewhat being broken. Rantanen is a star. That's... something?

Edited by Down by the River

6 minutes ago, shiznak said:

The curse of the 10th overall pick.

2018 - Bouchard

2017 - Tippett

2016 - Jost

2015 - Rantanen

2014 - Ritchie

2013 - Nichushkin

2012 - Koekkoek

2011 -  Brodin

2010 - McIlrath

2009 - Cowen

2008 - Hodgson

2007 - Ellerby

2006 - Frolik

2005 - Bourdon -would have been a star R.I.P

2004 - Valabik

2003 - Kostitsyn

2002 - Nystrom

2001 - Blackburn

2000 -  Yakubov

Fixed

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

So you are saying that the NHL, the Accounting firm and the 15 teams' official reps who are present at the drawing are complicit? Conspiracy theorist much??

yes I'd go along with that

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Two more original six winners and east coast.  That this lottery is not held in the open says everything that needs to be said about its legitimacy.  Everything that is not open to public view is most likely corrupt - which is exactly why it’s not in view.

BS. As if a firm like Ernst and Young would risk their reputation to rig a draft lottery. 

It's $&!#ty luck. Nothing more. Amateur production on Sportsnet's part leaking it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 112 said:

where did all this corruption manifest and how come i haven't heard of it before now?

Sutherland's continued employment.

DPS not conducting themselves professionally

Peel getting to work a Canucks game directly after rigging the last one

Campbell's continued employment  despite emails indicating their was an issue regarding officiating and nepotism

Allowing Brian Burke to weigh in on the Rome suspension despite obvious conflict of interest

Fining Burrows for substantiated remarks about Auger

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Going for first isn’t even necessary I could easily see the Devils passing over Hughes. Need to be attacking second overall before the draft happens 

1st and 2nd overall picks in real life ALMOST never get dealt. Same ole talk every year...

...derp...go get the 1st...derp.

Is not going to happen and could only happen if the rebuilding Canucks tore their rebuild apart to get it. Would not be worth it.

And my response wasn't just for you....it is for the plethora of stupid posts will now come suggesting we get the 1st pick lmao.  Good god.