The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Don't see the benefit for the accounting firm to be in on it, they would sink if that sort of corruption were true and found out. Sorry we had and 84% chance of picking 9-12 and that is where we ended up. 

And what was Chicago's chance of moving up to the 3rd overall? 

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be funny to see Bettman's reaction (on tv), if no one showed up for the draft pick selection

Not sure why there is a need to reward teams jumping 7-10 picks in the 1st place

A team like the Canucks have fallen more in 3 years than every other team

If You win the 1st over all, for the next 5 years, your ceiling should be 3

If you drop a spot, your odds should increase the next year

I thought they wanted Parity, does that only come from in bush league calls to control scores in games the best they can, and the loser point system?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I disagree, rewarding tanking is bull****. This system is fine with me. 

There are other systems...it is not fine. Now we may have been the most &^@#ed over but a team shouldn't be hit like we have continually and a team shouldn't move up 11 &^@#ing spots like Philly did. 

You can't just outright reward tanking up but nor should a team who barely misses even have a shot at moving that far up. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

asset_1800k.mp4?utm_source=share&utm_med

I don’t get why they don’t just show the lottery process live instead of waiting 30-40 mins 

It probably takes 30-40 minutes + half a glue stick for Bill Daly to put together those pretty cards and sort them in reverse order.  My guess going 5-4-3-1-2 throws him off every time and Betman makes him start from the beginning if he gets it wrong.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I disagree, rewarding tanking is bull****. This system is fine with me. 

The part of the draft lottery system that prevents teams that finish last or close to it from being guaranteed a lottery pick is fine. 

The part of the system that has made it possible for a team outside of the bottom ten (10 is an arbitrary number, I admit) to win a lottery pick three seasons in a row is what needs to be adjusted. Teams that are finishing 5 to 15 out of a playoff spot shouldn't be consistently benefitting from a system that is supposed to help genuinely bad teams (and not just the ones that tank) improve.

Keep the odds for the bottom five about the same but shift more weight towards the 6th to 10th worst teams. You aren't going to see ten NHL teams tanking at the same time, especially with how the current points system keeps most teams in the playoff race for most of the season.

Edited by Brad Marchand

1 hour ago, billabong said:

It wasn’t ours to win...

ya it sucks but other teams had even worse years than us and slipped 2 spots...we know how that feels 

10 will still get a good player

And with a cap in place there's only so much room for elite and super elite so balancing it out is no easy task but if a really good forward top 6 player comes along that can mentor as we develop depth and see where our youth goes (Jake Gaud Mac etc.) that we have now which are big question marks and need a bit more time 

However if we trade the pick+\- players and upgrade D, that'd be cool too. Meh, we're getting there. 

Git er' done Trader Jim!

P.S. Ferland please! Then 1-2 Dmen and then set to see where it goes..

Edited by iceman64

It will definitely be interesting if we find out what went wrong with the "leak."

The video snippet looks like it was a test run on production since they need the graphics and fonts ready beforehand. 

I would assume there are E&Y reps presiding over the entire process with those given info on a need to know basis. 

A very visual screw up but it is what it is

Been a tough evening. My emotions are all over with anger and just downright disbelief over the lack of luck. It was disheartening to move down in the draft, again. We have made the finals three times as a franchise and we were never ever the beneficiary of a draft lottery win. We have some great pieces in place and with some good moves we will get over this bad luck at the lottery and back to being a competitor. I wanted to reach through the TV tonight and punch Ray Shero's smug face. Frik. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"If we had a higher pick in the Pettersson draft, we still would have taken him and same goes for Quinn, so we're confident we'll get a good player." - Benning

Then why was he trying to trade up in 2017.  Pettersson was not projected to go in the top-5.

• Cheers 1