The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Panthers close to deal with Joel Quenneville

Notice how Edmonton doesn't even remotley come close to the conversation "close to cup potential".

I thought Q would be looking to Seattle all this time, I can't see him working Florida. Q is a pure hockey guy and thrives in hockey markets, Florida's an outpost.

6 minutes ago, PlanB said:

For some unknown reason to me people somehow believe Friedman is a more legit source for information than say a guy like Dreger or Kypper but in the end they're all wrong 99.9% of the time anyway so......

Friedman's shtick comes off as being refreshing in the journalist field.

He's a 99%'er like you said. I can't stand him like most of the rest in that profession.

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Still a LOT of what ifs with Florida. And a history of sucking. Not sure why Q would want this.

Florida has Barkov & Huberdeau.  Not far behind Ekblad on D & 2C Trocheck. Some great forward prospects, Tippett, Borgstrom, Heponiemi, Denisenko… Part of which is speculated to be on offer for Jacob Trouba.

Who would solve what most ails them, a superb D man to help stop the puck, keep it moving up to forwards...

We hate him but Matheson, Yandl as well are very serviceable as a 2knd D pair.

They need a goalie, and that key D to become serviceable as a deep play off team.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Lol....Fried just reported on HNIC that Quenneville was looking to sign with a team with near 'cup potential'.

things move fast in this league. Panthers have a very good core of young forwards, some top young defense and maybe Bobrovsky coming ? Montembeault looks to be a very good young netminder on the way up too.

They definitely have potential to be a Playoff team as early as next season, they have a lot of the pieces.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Lol....Fried just reported on HNIC that Quenneville was looking to sign with a team with near 'cup potential'.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

For some unknown reason to me people somehow believe Friedman is a more legit source for information than say a guy like Dreger or Kypper but in the end they're all wrong 99.9% of the time anyway so......

If Panthers don’t have Cup potential idk who does.

Most their players aren’t even at their peak...they have 2 #1 centremen in Barkov+Trocheck, amazing winger depth in Huberdeau-Hoffman-Dadonov, a true #1 dman in Ekblad, one of the best offensive dmen in Yandle who’s reminiscent to Brian Campbell when he was under Q’s Hawks...and let’s not forget the cap space for which their rumoured to be after Bobrovsky or Panarin this summer.

All that combined with one of the best coaches in the world, there’s no way they don’t reach cup potential aka contenders.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Notice how Edmonton doesn't even remotley come close to the conversation "close to cup potential".

Living in Edmonton itself may factor in some of these things?  But by memory, Q is from Saskatchewan & may be more immune to complaint about such things as prairie life than others...

That aside, I can see good coaches lining up to coach McDavid, Draisaitl & RNH is viable. They are missing the blue blooded excitement we have with Hughes on D? But Nurse, Klefbom & Larsson, what they paid for him aside, plus Bouchard is in many ways better than what we have in place on defence. Its easier to find depth and support than it is nucleus. Bouchard and a speedy D would go a long way to improving Edmonton's performance. As would recovery of Puljujarvi as a decent prospect. I'm  If they have someone smart in management (soon), the real problem is behind the scenes team building, contracts & debilitating decisions. Notably, player personnel with the type of speed that can keep up with their top players.

If they could dump Lucic, they could, for example consider going in on Gardiner.

Klefbom Nurse

Gardiner Bouchard

Russel Larsson

Sekera

Ain't bad at all? 

Q is the top man on the market. But I could see AV or someone similar taking a $20 mill pact to work from Northlands, Rogers, whatever you want to call it.    

Who else is available?

2 hours ago, 6string said:

I thought Q would be looking to Seattle all this time, I can't see him working Florida. Q is a pure hockey guy and thrives in hockey markets, Florida's an outpost.

So is Seattle.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wow, Florida did well to strike while the irons were hot. They got their guy. Florida will be interesting to watch this offseason.

They just increased their odds of landing Panarin.

Archived