The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should make the draft in Vancouver a good atmosphere

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

No it’s not. 

I don’t get if this is sarcasm; Karlsson 5 years ago is the same player that he is now. His production hasn’t slown down a single bit so how can you say he’s at the start of his decline lol.

And he has as many miles as any other player in the league. He’s played less than 700 NHL games and hasn’t even reached 50 playoff games. Miles isn’t a problem as his body isn’t breaking down or going to such as a player like Tanev. Sorry but I disagree - GMs, teams, analytics, and myself see him playing well into his late 30’s. I would like to know how you came to this conclusion that he’ll just be good for the next 3 years.

... umm his goals, points, and games played have all decreased each season since 2015-16.  His production is not the same as it was.  He is on a stacked tram right now and scored 3 goals this season. 

He has more miles than most players in the league.  Not many players have more than the 700+ games he has played.  If you adjust for minutes played, he rockets to near the top of active players.

Only 337 players in the more than 100 years of league history have even reached 1,000 games... a tiny fraction of those have been productive top end players at that milestone.  Signing Karlsson for 7 years means years beyond that point, if he even manages to stay healthy. 

There are rare exceptions to players declining once they hit their 30’s.  Betting on it happening is just stupid.  He is not a fit for us.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I disagree that he’s declining. I’d like to know what led you to this conclusion.

5 years ago he had 74pts in 82gp = 0.90ppg

4 years ago he had 66pts in 82gp = 0.80ppg

3 years ago he had 82pts in 82gp = 1.00ppg

2 years ago he had 71pts in 77gp = 0.92ppg

1 year ago he had 62pts in 71gp = 0.87ppg

This year he had 45pts in 53gp = 0.85ppg

Except you don’t get to pro-rate his contract to games played, so PPG is a silly way to look at it.  Especially since it is trying to hide the fact that he is playing fewer and fewer games since his peak performance in 2015-16.  Guys get paid based on actual production, not imaginary production that they moght have had if they were healthy.

His production has dropped consistently since then.  It is literally the definition of a decline.

2016-17 dropped 11 points from his previous season 

2017-18 dropped another 9 points from his previous season

2018-19 dropped another 17 points from his previous season.

Three seasons and a steady drop down by 37 points, to almost half his peak production.

If you want to argue that you can tell the future and he will bounce back and also play more games each year, that is one thing.  Arguing his production hasn’t dropped is false.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

... umm his goals, points, and games played have all decreased each season since 2015-16.  His production is not the same as it was.  He is on a stacked tram right now and scored 3 goals this season. 

He has more miles than most players in the league.  Not many players have more than the 700+ games he has played.  If you adjust for minutes played, he rockets to near the top of active players.

Only 337 players in the more than 100 years of league history have even reached 1,000 games... a tiny fraction of those have been productive top end players at that milestone.  Signing Karlsson for 7 years means years beyond that point, if he even manages to stay healthy. 

There are rare exceptions to players declining once they hit their 30’s.  Betting on it happening is just stupid.  He is not a fit for us.

Yes I’m aware as I just posted his season totals in the previous post:

8 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I disagree that he’s declining. I’d like to know what led you to this conclusion.

No signs of decline to me. No one is getting younger so I don’t get what that’s supposed to be. He isn’t turning 35, he’s only turning 29 which is still easily only the middle of his prime. $10m a year is the going rate for a player of his calibre (top3 in world) so I don’t see the problem. 

Yes he is a great player now. No to he’s “not good as he used to be”. He isn’t getting worse that’s what I’ll say and I’d argue he’s better than what he was 5 years ago as he’s developed his defensive game in his own zone on top of still piling up the points. Don’t see how it’s a disaster. Even at the end of 7 years when he’s 36 years old he’ll be putting up 60+ points.

Obviously his goals+points are going to decrease when his games played dropped lol. His ppg average since ‘15/‘16 is still above 0.85 which still beats the ‘low’ of 0.80ppg he had 4 years ago. How is that not the same production? If anything it’s same old same old as he continues to produce at a top rate. I don’t see anywhere that indicates he’s on the decline.

Yes he does log heavy minutes but so do the rest of the top dmen in the world. To put into perspective there are 11 dmen with more average TOI than EK this season and more than 20 others come within a minute of him. He’s no different than the other blueliners that log these minutes. The difference is, EK is better than 99% of them.

He’s been virtually healthy his entire career until his ankle. That’s not signs of an injury prone player, rather it was a freak injury that he had to deal with. 

...how is a top3 dman in the world not a fit for us especially when he’s a right hand shot which we lack any sort of quality in? Mind boggling. And again, how are you coming to these conclusions? Burns just had an 83 point season, he’s 33 years old and his body is a lot more banged up and gotten a lot more mileage than EK. Giordano is 35 and had 74 points. Yandle is 32 and had 62 points. Letang is 31 and had the same ppg as Karlsson did this year. IMHO, assuming Karlsson isn’t one of the rare exceptions is the “stupid” take to have with all due respect.

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except you don’t get to pro-rate his contract to games played, so PPG is a silly way to look at it.  Especially since it is trying to hide the fact that he is playing fewer and fewer games since his peak performance in 2015-16.  Guys get paid based on actual production, not imaginary production that they moght have had if they were healthy.

His production has dropped consistently since then.  It is literally the definition of a decline.

2016-17 dropped 11 points from his previous season 

2017-18 dropped another 9 points from his previous season

2018-19 dropped another 17 points from his previous season.

Three seasons and a steady drop down by 37 points, to almost half his peak production.

If you want to argue that you can tell the future and he will bounce back and also play more games each year, that is one thing.  Arguing his production hasn’t dropped is false.

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

Obviously his goals+points are going to decrease when his games played dropped lol. His ppg average since ‘15/‘16 is still above 0.85 which still beats the ‘low’ of 0.80ppg he had 4 years ago. How is that not the same production? If anything it’s same old same old as he continues to produce at a top rate. I don’t see anywhere that indicates he’s on the decline.

He’s been virtually healthy his entire career until his ankle. That’s not signs of an injury prone player, rather it was a freak injury that he had to deal with. 

2 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

No signs of decline to me. No one is getting younger so I don’t get what that’s supposed to be. He isn’t turning 35, he’s only turning 29 which is still easily only the middle of his prime. $10m a year is the going rate for a player of his calibre (top3 in world) so I don’t see the problem. 

Yes he is a great player now. No to he’s “not good as he used to be”. He isn’t getting worse that’s what I’ll say and I’d argue he’s better than what he was 5 years ago as he’s developed his defensive game in his own zone on top of still piling up the points. Don’t see how it’s a disaster. Even at the end of 7 years when he’s 36 years old he’ll be putting up 60+ points.

Lol.  You ask what make me think he is declining, then you answer your own question with stats. 

There is a clear decline in PPG and games played each year.  

Injuries are piling up. 

You really think he will continue to be worth 10+ mill for the next 6-8 years? 

Id give it 2, then the contract starts looking iffy. 

@drummerboy

There is no “clear” decline, it’s hundredths of a decimal point. And I’ll say it again, his ppg is still at or above 0.85 these supposed previous 2 decline years of his which are higher than what is was 4 years ago so doesn’t that mean he’s improved? ...point being no need to be so literal as he’s still hovering above 0.80ppg. Anything in that range is outstanding and not a decline by any means. Fwiw his career ppg is 0.82 so there’s that.

& injuries aren’t “piling” up. How can someone pile up 1 injury? He’s had 1 considerable injury his entire career which has nagged him this year due to not getting sufficient time to fully heal. Using that same logic it’s similar to the silly minority that said Crosby was done when he had injuries a few years ago for consecutive seasons because his games played decreased and became injury prone lol. You have got to know that being out due to an injury but mainting virtually the same ppg average are not indications of decline, especially with exceptional world class players :)

Edited by Generational.EP40

Lol... If we're gonna focus on improving the atmosphere it should be at the games which have been atrocious for a decade now. 

I guess it's just the demographic of people who attend games though. 

Thank God for HD TVs... 

Honestly I went to what 4 or 5 games this year... All terrible in rink atmosphere. 

It's a shame the most iconic sporting franchise has such a terrible arena atmosphere. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

@drummerboy

There is no “clear” decline, it’s hundredths of a decimal point. And I’ll say it again, his ppg is still at or above 0.85 these supposed previous 2 decline years of his which are higher than what is was 4 years ago so doesn’t that mean he’s improved? ...point being no need to be so literal as he’s still hovering above 0.80ppg. Anything in that range is outstanding and not a decline by any means. Fwiw his career ppg is 0.82 so there’s that.

Yes, the stats are high, but there is a very clear decline.  

And yes, when talking about 10mill$ contracts, you need to be literal. 

Hopes and dreams get you know where in business.  

& injuries aren’t “piling” up. How can someone pile up 1 injury? He’s had 1 considerable injury his entire career which has bagged him this year due to not getting sufficient time to fully heal. Using that same logic it’s similar to the silly

minority that said Crosby was done when he had injuries a few years ago for consecutive seasons because his games played decreased and became injury prone lol. You have got to know that being out due to an injury but mainting virtually the same ppg average are not indications of decline, especially with exceptional world class players :)

I can see you aren’t putting real thought into this, and just going by fantasy, you I’ll agree to disagree.  

You want to sign him, I think it will be an extremely expensive mistake.  

We will find out this summer!

• Cheers 1

My concern with EK is his durability.  PPG doesn't really help much if he's only available for 50 games a year and can't get to the playoffs, or be a factor in the playoffs.  Add in another 2 years of wear and tear before the rest of the team is in a strong playoff push and I'm not sure he's going to be much help.  His ankle was a mess, not sure whether it ever recovered completely.  Add in the travel component of playing in the Western conference with not as much rest and long travel days and I don't think it's a recipe for huge success for him.  

On 4/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, skategal said:

My concern with EK is his durability.  

He's missed significant time once in his entire career and now has a reputation as a fragile player?

He's not Tanev. He's played 70+ games every year of his career except last year. He's one of the least injured top defencemen in the game.

14 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

I hope there are a lot of loud "draft lottery sucks" chants for Bettman to hear.

Every year the lottery comes and goes and fans whine and moan. This year however they can make a statement !!

Each year when Vcr gets screwed in the lottery there is no chnace to make a meaningful statement so fans whine, moan  …. but this year is different. The draft as we all know is being held at Rogers Arena and the NHL is expecting a full house and the income they derive from it. But Vcr can make a statement, they can boycott the draft. Let Gary make his announcement to an empty arena. Man would that ever bruise the mans ego and let the NHL know that this farce of a lottery is for the birds. A nice add on would be a protest outside, think of a few slogans that could be displayed on banners heck lets have a competition for the best poster signs comments we could turn this into a positive LOL

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

I hope there are a lot of loud "draft lottery sucks" chants for Bettman to hear.

Make it so !!!!! CDCers should identify themselves by carrying 'lottery sucks' placards. Get the chant going and repeat for every pick !

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Make it so !!!!! CDCers should identify themselves by carrying 'lottery sucks' placards. Get the chant going and repeat for every pick !

Too tame, we need an empty Rogers arena to make any sort of a point.  Betteman only listens when money is on the line. You want to scratch around the perimeter or make a statement? The Lottery as it currently stands is badly designed and possibly rigged :rolleyes: who knows. No one ever sees the lottery draw, it's behind closed doors   At very very least there has to be a protest outside Rogers you want the TV news on it and go nationwide

Edited by Fred65

On 4/8/2019 at 6:43 AM, Grape said:

Shower Bettman with love so that he gets so confused and forgets what to say

He will be so flustered, combined with all the love from Vancouver fans, the first arena ever to actually cheer him,  that he'll inadvertently blurt out the truth...."I'm sorry Vancouver, the lottery IS fixed, and it was you, Vancouver, that actually got the #1"

• Haha 1