The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Canucks’ youth: good teams win with 26 to 35-year-old players

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

On 4/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, cyoung said:

Easy to misunderstand what he said. 

What he means is that this core will be dominant in a few years. It will take some time. 

This isn’t a video game there’s no way to know if this core will be good let alone Great let alone dominant.

leafs added Matthews marner a starting goalie Tavares they haven’t won a series buffalo add ror Eichel Reinhart Risto and now dahlin and cant make the playoffs...Oilers same thinG and many more cores the same

and these cores here are around the 22 23 age

in a few years that’s the age of the young guys in Our core and are all of them dominant?

those thinking in a few years were running for presidents trophy are nuts it’s a pipe dream

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Upvote 1

I just checked this year's top 100 NHL player's age on ESPN.   There are only 15players out of 100 players are over 30. 

These are the names.     T. J.  Oshie    Anze Kopitar   Justin Willams      Kris letang       Zach Parise 

Keith Yandel   Joe Pavelski     Evegenii Dadonov   Evgeni Malkin   David Krejci

Mark Giordano     Nicklas Backstrom  P.Kane    Crosby

87% of the top point producers are under 30.     So no JB , you winning combination should 25-30.    32 is reach, 35 is out of your mind.

Look at Tampa Bay's 4 lines.   How many players over 30?  

Edited by jimmyking8888
names

55 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

I just checked this year's top 100 NHL player's age on ESPN.   There are only 15players out of 100 players are over 30. 

These are the names.     T. J.  Oshie    Anze Kopitar   Justin Willams      Kris letang       Zach Parise 

87% of the top point producers are under 30.     So no JB , you winning combination should 25-30.    32 is reach, 35 is out of your mind.

1- I don't think Jim is stating that all or even the majority of players should be over 30. They're merely part of the contributing age range of playoff teams.

2 - Points are great and all but it's only one facet of what makes a playoff team/player.

3 - I'd wager the majority of 30+ players on said playoff teams are goalies and D. They don't tend to put up as many points as forwards (though obviously guys like Giordano, Burns etc are no slouches). But they do tend to be more effective in to their 30's.

4 - How many of those 87% are on playoff teams?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Bunch of 1st rounders and super stars.

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

This isn’t a video game there’s no way to know if this core will be good let alone Great let alone dominant.

leafs added Matthews marner a starting goalie Tavares they haven’t won a series buffalo add ror Eichel Reinhart Risto and now dahlin and cant make the playoffs...Oilers same thinG and many more cores the same

and these cores here are around the 22 23 age

in a few years that’s the age of the young guys in Our core and are all of them dominant?

those thinking in a few years were running for presidents trophy are nuts it’s a pipe dream

It's good to be optimistic man, makes life a bit better. Nothing wrong with hoping the team will turn it around.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Top 100 as rated by ESPN? Top 100 in point scoring? 

Either way, it's criminal that Ovi is not there

Edit: Bergeron and Wheeler too

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, jimmyking8888 said:

I just checked this year's top 100 NHL player's age on ESPN.

Sorry - but who cares about wishy washy best/worst lists - or dwelling on who's over 30?

Why didn't you provide the number of players over 25?  Too many in the 25-30 range?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, cyoung said:

It's good to be optimistic man, makes life a bit better. Nothing wrong with hoping the team will turn it around.

Hey well I’m all for hoping and cheering and being positive but the posts in here saying “we will be dominant” just because the team has gone in cycles with 82 94 2011 it’s not a guarantee. The league isn’t designed to serve our team or any team it is a crapshoot.

• Cheers 1

Considering most players really aren't established in the NHL until they are in there early to mid 20s and are retired by 35 this statement is not particularly shocking, Mathematically it just makes sense.  

Most players in the NHL are between 26-35.  

The probability is that most teams win with predominantly 26-35 year olds and most teams loose with similar.

Not sure how much more analysis needs to be made.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I get a kick out of the gaggle that believes these two things simultaneously:

1) trade Virtanen

2) Gaudette was/is ready to replace Sutter.

Some reality / perspective:

These two guys are less than 2 months difference in age (22 yrs old).

Virtanen

15 goals, 25 pts in 70 games playing relatively harder minutes

45.5% ozone starts,  47.8% corsi

2.2 on ice goals for, 2.4 against per 60, -4

154 hits

46 takeways, 22 giveaways, +24

Gaudette

5 goals, 12 pts in 56 games

59.0% offensive zone starts, 47.0% corsi

1.9 on ice goals for, 2.7 against, -8

40.4% faceoffs

I could live without Sutter on the team. 

Kassian, Simmonds and Bennet share the same stats as Virtanen, but he has less Pentalty minutes. 

Is Jake expected to fetch much in trade? 

Optimism isn't a currency; Jake isn’t worth much worth trading for, unless it’s in a package deal of some sort.  

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I could live without Sutter on the team. 

Kassian, Simmonds and Bennet share the same stats as Virtanen, but he has less Pentalty minutes. 

Is Jake expected to fetch much in trade? 

Optimism isn't a currency; Jake isn’t worth much worth trading for, unless it’s in a package deal of some sort.  

I don't really care what Virtanen would return - I have zero interest in moving him.

And like Sutter or not, Gaudette isn't/wasn't ready, perhaps even for the NHL let alone a role like that.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't really care what Virtanen would return - I have zero interest in moving him.

And like Sutter or not, Gaudette isn't/wasn't ready, perhaps even for the NHL let alone a role like that.

Yes, I know what you mean, but I don’t share your perspective.

IMO, If Sutter could have been dealt for picks on or before the TDL, I’m sure a July FA could be found to cover those minutes, meanwhile, for Gaudette, another unremarkable, young, Canucks player who isn’t capable of being either a shutdown or offensive Center, yet. 

Like Virtanen, the team is fully gambling that he becomes something more than he is just by not looking for an upgrade. 

If the Stars align and the Canucks emulate the old NJD winners, where Gaudette becomes Madden and Virtanen becomes Holik, you can remind me daily how I had it all wrong back in the day. 

I have interest in moving Virtanen and any Canucks player who wasn’t on the ice as part of the Triangle of Doom in those epic overtimes we watched during the final few games.

If there is even a slight upgrade available in trade, I wouldn’t miss Jake or any other project, role player or ‘foundational’ piece if they were part of a trade.

IMO, there’s not one player besides EP, QH, Horvat and BB who isn’t replacable on this roster, dare I say, easily

JB ‘could’ likely dump several of his age-gap Plan kid’s and replace them with FAs and be further ahead. He has the money and could skip the whole cheap growing-together concept and hop right back into contention and have draft picks to burn. Unlikely, sure, but the future results will be the same, IMO. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

IMO, If Sutter could have been dealt for picks on or before the TDL

If the Stars align and the Canucks emulate the old NJD winners, where Gaudette becomes Madden and Virtanen becomes Holik, you can remind me daily how I had it all wrong back in the day. 

He has the money and could skip the whole cheap growing-together concept and hop right back into contention and have draft picks to burn. Unlikely, sure, but the future results will be the same, IMO. 

Sutter wasn't healthy - wasn't tradeable - at the deadline.  Minor detail, but...relevent.

I don't really care to remind you that you weren't 'optimistic' about the likes of Virtanen or Gaudette.  I'm going with the patient approach - my 'expectations' are neither high nor low - I don't tend to bother with expectations.

Sounds in your last line like you're proposing to 'speed up' the rething.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Bruins roster going to the finals... for players, who has played more than 20 NHL games during their entire career, average age is 28.7 years

This includes a 42 year old Chara 

Blues roster (if they are going to the finals)... for players, who have played more than 20 NHL games during their entire career, average age is 27.4 year

Sharks roster (if they are going to the finals)... for players, who have played more then 20 NHL games during their entire career, average age is 28.6 years

Bruins under 26 (with more than 20NHL games)   F's  4 players    D's  2 player

Blues under 26 (with more than 20 NHL games)   F's  7 players    D's  2 player  GK 1

Sharks under 26 (with more then 20 NHL games)  F's  4 players   D's  1 player 

(7 of those players are 25)

It looks like Benning has a point, although maybe 25-35 would be the range... and as such a few years before we will be contending.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1