The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

23 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If Chicago had one of the top 2 picks you would have the assets to get that done as I think Markstrom looks very attractive to Chicago. Who would be a cup contender with him. But NY and NJ do not need a goalie and then you are looking at giving up a major core piece to get Hughes which is extremely risky. I think it will cost Boeser or Horvat honestly.

Maybe you can get The 3 from Chicago and then flip the 3 for 1 or 2 with some prospects but that's unlikely.

Yes Markstrom was the one I was originally thinking about, but had similar ideas as in moving up where he moves up 5 spots then tries another trade to move up again or can pull something off with Chicago and get the 3rd without losing much. I felt if he wanted to do a straight up trade to get to #1 or #2 it would definitely have to include a C like Horvat/Pettersson and I don't want that at all and I'm sure Benning doesn't do that either, but to avoid that he trades up to get a pick closer to the top 2 so when he then makes another trade to move up so someone like NJ still gets a high top 3 pick. If he can do something like this without touching, Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, would be something special, but I don't think it's impossible it obviously won't be easy but you never know. 

The other thing that's made me think he may try something like this, is that he talked about playoffs after this year and that's where they want to be for next year, so if that's the plan drafting in the #10 or near the top isn't in the plan anymore, they're going to be playing to be higher in the standings which isn't ideal for drafting high anymore unless luck happens and we know how our luck is lol, so this imo is their last year at a high pick and he may go for it if he obviously can.

22 hours ago, Googlie said:

Unfortunately, I think it would take one of Bo, Brock or Petey, plus our 10th to make that work

If he wants to trade straight up with NJ or NYR then yes it would cost that and no I wouldn't do that, but trading with other teams to move up spots, to then trade with NJ or NYR so they have top 3 pick to give them back which helps a lot more then a #10 and is definitely more appealing.

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

I'm getting sick of this narrative.

How many times has a team going out of it's way to get brothers worked out? Philly and the Schenns? Carolina and the Staals? Heck, even Vancouver and the Courtnalls?

Usually, acquiring brothers ends up a negative. Sedins were a special case, that had played together their whole lives. It cannot be recaptured. Jack could have played with Quinn this year, but chose to go his own way, to do what was best for his own career. They are different guys who want to chart their own paths.

Do I care that you're getting sick of this narrative? I came on here to speak my mind on the matter and what I think could be a possibility if Benning is that sold on Hughes that much. Don't like it don't read it.

28 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Do I care that you're getting sick of this narrative? I came on here to speak my mind on the matter and what I think could be a possibility if Benning is that sold on Hughes that much. Don't like it don't read it.

Don't like my reply? Don't read it either then.

Or man up and don't take it personally when people disagree with you.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Coming into today I didn't really know too much about Moritz Seider from the german DEL league. Fact is there isn't really a lot of comparables and so it is scary to draft a player from a relatively unknown league. However based on my research I think it's safe to say it is a pro league that probably isn't quite on par with SEL, Liiga, or KHL...maybe closer to swedish Allvenskan league.

He currently has 6 points 2G 4A in 29 games which is good for .21 ppg and also has 3A in 9 playoff games. People may scoff at those numbers but for a pro league that is pretty good production, even if it's the german DEL. If compared with Phillip Broberg's Allvenskan numbers their ppg are fairly comparable.

Moritz Seider is a 6'4'' RH defenseman, 198lb with a late birthday (April 2001). He apparently has above average skating considering his size and can maintain excellent gap control. He is also quite physical with a good reach and rarely makes mistakes defensively in the pro league. Personally I feel if he were playing in a more well-known league he'd be going top 10 or just outside of the top 10 but is currently rated in the mid-teens. 

Personally I think he would make a great addition to the Canucks and he could be slotted in to fill that RH d man position beside Hughes. The fact that he is 6'4'' with good skating and excellent defense will greatly help Hughes in the future. However I also think he has offensive upside. Based on the very few comparables I could scrounge up he projects to be significantly better than other german D-men such as Christian Erhoff and Dennis Seidenberg. I think his ceiling is 25-30 points in the NHL per season but that could easily go up to 35-40 depending on how well he develops next year and how he is deployed in the NHL in the future.

Based on his projected rankings based on most scouting lists he currently is rated firmly in the mid-teens. I have a feeling this is primarily because of the fact he plays in the german league and so most scouts have no problem slotting him behind other players such as Victor Soderstrom, Phillip Broberg, Thomas Harley and Arthur Kaliyev. Personally I feel he deserves to go much higher but is he top 10 material? I'm not sure how other teams feel about drafting a player that high out of the DEL but I definitely would be open to trading down 2-3 picks while picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. Worst case scenario I believe at least Soderstrom, Boldy, and maybe one of the top 10 fallers could still be there at the 12-13 pick although I feel Seider should still be there for the picking. If the Canucks don't trade down, he is my darkhorse pick to be picked early causing CDC to melt down because they have never heard of this guy.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Coming into today I didn't really know too much about Moritz Seider from the german DEL league. Fact is there isn't really a lot of comparables and so it is scary to draft a player from a relatively unknown league. However based on my research I think it's safe to say it is a pro league that probably isn't quite on par with SEL, Liiga, or KHL...maybe closer to swedish Allvenskan league.

He currently has 6 points 2G 4A in 29 games which is good for .21 ppg and also has 3A in 9 playoff games. People may scoff at those numbers but for a pro league that is pretty good production, even if it's the german DEL. If compared with Phillip Broberg's Allvenskan numbers their ppg are fairly comparable.

Moritz Seider is a 6'4'' RH defenseman, 198lb with a late birthday (April 2001). He apparently has above average skating considering his size and can maintain excellent gap control. He is also quite physical with a good reach and rarely makes mistakes defensively in the pro league. Personally I feel if he were playing in a more well-known league he'd be going top 10 or just outside of the top 10 but is currently rated in the mid-teens. 

Personally I think he would make a great addition to the Canucks and he could be slotted in to fill that RH d man position beside Hughes. The fact that he is 6'4'' with good skating and excellent defense will greatly help Hughes in the future. However I also think he has offensive upside. Based on the very few comparables I could scrounge up he projects to be significantly better than other german D-men such as Christian Erhoff and Dennis Seidenberg. I think his ceiling is 25-30 points in the NHL per season but that could easily go up to 35-40 depending on how well he develops next year and how he is deployed in the NHL in the future.

Based on his projected rankings based on most scouting lists he currently is rated firmly in the mid-teens. I have a feeling this is primarily because of the fact he plays in the german league and so most scouts have no problem slotting him behind other players such as Victor Soderstrom, Phillip Broberg, Thomas Harley and Arthur Kaliyev. Personally I feel he deserves to go much higher but is he top 10 material? I'm not sure how other teams feel about drafting a player that high out of the DEL but I definitely would be open to trading down 2-3 picks while picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. Worst case scenario I believe at least Soderstrom, Boldy, and maybe one of the top 10 fallers could still be there at the 12-13 pick although I feel Seider should still be there for the picking. If the Canucks don't trade down, he is my darkhorse pick to be picked early causing CDC to melt down because they have never heard of this guy.

Sounds like a good prospect but I personally wouldn’t risk taking him that high.  Plenty of blue chip/safer options can be had at number 10.   As someone that’s a little bit older, I’m not sure if the risk/reward factor really measures.  If he’s there in the 2nd round however, then yeah......definitely make a pitch.

I’m about to go into corny territory here, but here goes:

1) The draft is in Vancouver this year.

2) We have the 10th pick.

3) Pavel Bure wore number 10.

4) Why not fly Bure out to Vancouver from Russia or Florida (or wherever he is right now) to make the selection?

Keep it as a surprise as well.  Spoil the fans.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 1

Watching the Islanders playing the in the SCup playoffs tonight it puzzles me how they could have won the first pick overall. Surely there is something wrong in the lottery system tha this could happen.

Shouldn't the draw for 1-3 be amongst teams that did not make the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Watching the Islanders playing the in the SCup playoffs tonight it puzzles me how they could have won the first pick overall. Surely there is something wrong in the lottery system tha this could happen.

The Devils won the 1st pick

• Cheers 1

Jim Benning has a ace up his sleeve. Nobody will have the player the Canucks take as high as the Canucks take him. Twitter will explode. CDC will collapse. And in a year on           or two when Benning land Jack because of his struggles he will look like a genius!       

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, Borvat said:

If they get Markstrom extended then it's likely Demko is moved especially with the ED coming up.  Depends how much they want the player and which pick.  Maybe they move that package for an NHL top six winger or RHD.  Either way I would be down with that.  Sutter isn't the carrot but depending on the team may have some value.

why would we trade demko or dip?  markstrom is here for another 2 years Im sure and demko can back up both of those years and dip can play on the farm..  then trade markstrom when demko and dip have continued their development with ian clark and get to top nhl calibre goalie status.  

42 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

They couldn't have though...???

48 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Lay off the whiskey sir

27 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

why would we trade demko or dip?  markstrom is here for another 2 years Im sure and demko can back up both of those years and dip can play on the farm..  then trade markstrom when demko and dip have continued their development with ian clark and get to top nhl calibre goalie status.  

Another 1 year, 2019/2020 unless he is extended.

He says, like Edler, he wants to be here.  Odds are he will get extended? But I doubt that happens till we start to get a look at Demko at the start of next year. If he at 24, is looking like our starter? Its also worth seeing how Kielly & DiPietro are developing. So as much as we may be interested in extending Marky, it probably would wait till aprox Christmas... Markstrom would then, in theory, would be logical trade bait next deadline.

Until then, the last guy to trade is the younger tender. He won, what his last 4 games?  

Next summer, there is always 

1. Zegras

2. Boldy 

3. Soderstrom

4. Krebs 

Although there are always off the board picks. So I expect some fallers. 

If on the board for players who should be in our range, in order who I would pick. Although i like Boldy and Zegras both the same. I take Zegras, cause he has such a good read on the offensive zone. Reminds me of marchand. 

Edited by KKnight

8 hours ago, 250Integra said:

From what I remember, Luc Bourdon had a great 1st training camp as an 18 year old. In fact, many people thought he should've made the team. He was sent down and before his 2nd training camp, he suffered an ankle injury. His skating was not as smooth / crisp so he needed to spend time in the minors. Right before the tragic accident, he played great for the Canucks towards the end of the season.

Don't forgot, this guy should've won the best defenseman award during the 2006 WJC. Not sure how he didn't. I really think he would've been a top 2 defensemen on this team, putting up 40-50 points consistently.

Luc would have been a Major factor on this franchise. He had all the tools of a dominant top pairing dman. Such a tragic way to go. 

He would have been 31 right now, I think? 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1