The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

THN thinks he’s got one if not the best shot in the entire draft.  Plus he skates like the wind for a big frame...and he’s got a chance to play as an 18 year old.  Scouts say he’s one of the best goal scorers they’ve ever seen in their system, which is pretty high praise given how the US is starting to push Canada the last few years with some of the highest picks in the first round.  This year both Canada and the US have three guys that should go in the top ten, maybe four for Canada but the quality of the players is pretty equal, maybe leaning towards the states given Hughes is considered the best prospect by 90% of the guys that count that rank them.  

On Boldy scouts say “Elite scorer with a great shot, and knows how to get into the scoring lanes.  Has elite hands in tight and unbelievable hand to eye corndination.  One of the best scorers I’ve ever seen in the NTDP and he’s just starting to tap into his size” 

Given we need another Boeser quality guy in the top six I wouldn’t be disappointed at all with this pick.

Especially not bearing in mind he would fill a positional need...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That is a good neutral zone play defensively.  However, is his good positioning because of hockey IQ or poor skating.  The puck was turned over, so he was kind of stuck in the neutral zone, behind the play.  No turnover, and he's way behind the play.  I'm not sure about a guy who has skating issues.  Not everyone is Bo Horvat.  There are a lot more Jonah Gadjovic's than Horvats.  

You should be pleasantly suprised that JG skating is improving, quite a lot since the draft.  His biggest challenge this year in the A his can no longer rag doll Junior size players, AHL defenseman aren’t manhandled as easily.   I wouldn’t read too much into this one video, his skating is on par with Boesers, and he does just fine.  Of course it would be nice if it was elite, but if It was we wouldn’t have a chance of drafting him either.  Picking 9-11 isn’t can be fruitful depending on who slips.  Bouchard went back to Juniors and is basically having his way with them, he’s way beyond that skill now (was rolling over them in the playoffs, he’s going to be dynamite in a few years) and is continuing to develop, most likely the same thing will happen to with whomever we pick... unless we are extremely lucky with our pick that player won’t see NHL ice for a year or two minimum and skating is still the easiest skill to improve on.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You should be pleasantly suprised that JG skating is improving, quite a lot since the draft.  His biggest challenge this year in the A his can no longer rag doll Junior size players, AHL defenseman aren’t manhandled as easily.   I wouldn’t read too much into this one video, his skating is on par with Boesers, and he does just fine.  Of course it would be nice if it was elite, but if It was we wouldn’t have a chance of drafting him either.  Picking 9-11 isn’t can be fruitful depending on who slips.  Bouchard went back to Juniors and is basically having his way with them, he’s way beyond that skill now (was rolling over them in the playoffs, he’s going to be dynamite in a few years) and is continuing to develop, most likely the same thing will happen to with whomever we pick... unless we are extremely lucky with our pick that player won’t see NHL ice for a year or two minimum and skating is still the easiest skill to improve on.  

I hope JB drafts the guy who has the highest ceiling to become a difference maker, regardless of anything else.  We need to get another elite guy to go with Petey, Boeser, Hughes, and Bo.  Those types of players will be there at 10, I hope we get one.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

Parts of your post you've bolded, so I've bolded and enlarged the part I want to respond to.

I don't think this team has been anywhere near 'swayed' by central scouting.

Central scouting has lagged behind the performance of many, many NHL teams for some time = not sure who they've been swaying - aside from fan impressions...

To put it as a friend in the amateur scouting gig put it - they have been over-rating the CHL for some time - and under-representing players out of the U.S. (or Europe) and have failed to catchup/keep with the times.

The USHL/USA junior ranks have been better than Central Scouting's rankings realized for a while now - probably about to change, if not already in the process in the past few years.

The Canucks have been drafting - Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Rathbone, Madden, Hughes - accordingly - as arguably have other NHL teams.

Agreed. I think the internal rankings have gotten much better.

It wasn't that long ago that a guy would Kopitar would fall out of the top ten because of the Euro image. Times have changed.

My 2 cents is that we cannot afford to trade up unless it is for a special player and to me, there are only 4 in this draft. Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin (risky) and Byram. Makes no sense to lose a legit prospect and our #10 for anything less. 

With regards to the prospects/roster I could see us dealing (that teams would actually have interest in) they would be Virtanen, Demko or Juolevi.

Demko is the piece that I would be comfortable moving to a team that needs a future starting goalie and we might be able to get a first rnd pick back straight up as he is closer to a finished product. 

If we are to stand pat with our 10th overall pick, then draft players based upon their hockey IQ and skating - its a fleet footed smart man's game now.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope JB drafts the guy who has the highest ceiling to become a difference maker, regardless of anything else.  We need to get another elite guy to go with Petey, Boeser, Hughes, and Bo.  Those types of players will be there at 10, I hope we get one.  

At our spot that is likely Caufield with the highest ceiling. I think I would rather take a safe bet with Krebs or Boldy personally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

THN thinks he’s got one if not the best shot in the entire draft.  Plus he skates like the wind for a big frame...and he’s got a chance to play as an 18 year old.  Scouts say he’s one of the best goal scorers they’ve ever seen in their system, which is pretty high praise given how the US is starting to push Canada the last few years with some of the highest picks in the first round.  This year both Canada and the US have three guys that should go in the top ten, maybe four for Canada but the quality of the players is pretty equal, maybe leaning towards the states given Hughes is considered the best prospect by 90% of the guys that count that rank them.  

On Boldy scouts say “Elite scorer with a great shot, and knows how to get into the scoring lanes.  Has elite hands in tight and unbelievable hand to eye corndination.  One of the best scorers I’ve ever seen in the NTDP and he’s just starting to tap into his size” 

Given we need another Boeser quality guy in the top six I wouldn’t be disappointed at all with this pick.

A Mark Stone comparison was made by someone else.

We should be so lucky.

Goal scorers are hard to find so I’d be happy to get another. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

At our spot that is likely Caufield with the highest ceiling. I think I would rather take a safe bet with Krebs or Boldy personally.

If Krebs or Boldy project to be elite difference makers, than I'm okay with either.  If their ceilings are guys who more like Virtanen (a decent piece, but not really a difference maker) than i think we shouldn't take guys like that with out first pick.  

Watch now that the Canucks are basically out of the Byram Sweepstakes, the trolls (Botchford and Willes) will go on and on about him and how great he'll be. Then they'll blame Benning for not drafting him, by trading for the 4th (even if it starts with Pettersson or Boeser). 

I think the Canucks stay put and draft a good player at #10. Not sure who that'll be. Someone mentioned what if Podkolzin dropped to #10, you grab him and run. But I doubt he drops that low. I'm hoping they draft scoring, whoever that might be.

Canucks will draft Soderstrom in 2019.  Miss the playoffs next year.  Win the lotto for #1.  Draft Lafreniere.   Rebuild complete!!!!

Alexis Lafreniere

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Oct 11 2001 --St-Eustache, PQ 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.01 -- Weight 192[185 cm/87 kg]
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

Canucks will draft Soderstrom in 2019.  Miss the playoffs next year.  Win the lotto for #1.  Draft Lafreniere.   Rebuild complete!!!!

Alexis Lafreniere

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Oct 11 2001 --St-Eustache, PQ 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.01 -- Weight 192[185 cm/87 kg]

We’d have to pick up Taylor Hall to make sure. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe Podkolzin drops to us at 10 due to russian factor, a couple teams such as buffalo and LA have had bad luck with them lately. I think there are some other teams that might be wary of them as well. Detroit might grab him if he falls tho.

I really like Podkotzin.  I think he's ready to play next season too.  He's got size, skill, high compete, and high IQ.  

All of these rankings by teams might shift around too, after the combine and interviews. A player like Lavoie, for example, might be very mature and focussed, ooze character, display leadership, a beast in the gym and know exactly what he needs to work on, etc. I wonder if the interviews in 2016 is why Benning passed on Tkachuk, for the more serious and mature Juolevi. I could see Matthew Tkachuk coming off like a d-bag during the interview. But damn, the guy can play.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I'm old school, I put more value in the mens league experience for projecting a players real skill set. But I'd be happy to be surprised by a player from that group this year too. Just don't want more smurfs. 

Well I also like the SHL and other mens league experiences. Not just playing against men, but taking part in their training regimens. In the end it is still about skill sets and athletic ability.

Take Boqvist last year. Soderstrom's team mate in the Brynas's junior system & team Sweden. Only 5 months older. Adam Boqvist never made the SHL his draft year. Nor even the Allsvenskan. But was drafted 8th overall. Based on having an elite shot, as well as many of the skills Soderstrom has. If anything, Soderstrom is more mature and flat out better on the defensive side of the puck. Why he made the SHL I imagine? Still absolutely dynamic, considered very fast & slick with the puck. But missing that game breaking elite gear to his speed, and howitzer of a shot. So Boqvist ran the power play, played the key offensive situations and was considered a possible top 5 pick.

FWIW I would heavily advocate Soderstrom at 10th overall. As long as none of the key guys above fall. Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras... Partly based on mens league performance. But mainly on speed, puck skill, that high end defensive capacity.      

• Upvote 2