The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

On 4/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, Alflives said:

Will Broberg be there for us at 10?  He’s friggin’ amazing!  He is clearly the best D man in the draft, after Byram.  I’d trade up to get him.   This guy is a brilliant player, and he’s big.  

He is my clear number three after Hughes, and Byram.  

Based on any available highlights, Broberg looks like an absolute stud. His skating is fantastic.

But I keep hearing he's been pretty underwhelming outside of any major tournaments, so the highlights are really just that... highlights...

If he played like that fulltime, he'd be a top 5 draft pick.

I still personally like him as a potential target, I'd just like to hear from people that have seen him play in everyday scenarios.

no no guys you dont know...pick new hook or you fans will regret it...he has more skill than turris and turris is ok player ...just need time and bulk up... if they pick another european player it will be a gong show to utica...

Edited by hockeygod77

39 minutes ago, nergish said:

Based on any available highlights, Broberg looks like an absolute stud. His skating is fantastic.

But I keep hearing he's been pretty underwhelming outside of any major tournaments, so the highlights are really just that... highlights...

If he played like that fulltime, he'd be a top 5 draft pick.

I still personally like him as a potential target, I'd just like to hear from people that have seen him play in everyday scenarios.

In age appropriate tournaments Broberg dominates his age group.  His league play is against men. 

On 4/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Filthy McNasty said:

I have a feeling  #10 and demko and maybe sutter/jake will be the start of  converstion to try and move up

Sounds like benning is giddy for Hughes 

I would think that is a close deal. I’d say both Sutter amen Virtanen.

VAN

1OA19

NJD

Sutter

Virtanen

Demko

10OA19

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, oldnews said:

there sure seems to be a lot to like about him

Great skater

Great shot

Great vision

High compete level

high level hockey intelligence

tested against men / in SHL at young age

mindful defensively / aggressive / responsible.

and he's also a RHD

is he ideal size?  not sure that's as vital in 'today's NHL' as the ability to compete, skate, etc.

Yah until the playoffs start.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:32 AM, babalu said:

Can you have too many PMLHD? I vote Broberg!

Pretty impressive for sure.  I don't know where the concerns about this guy's hockey IQ come from.  Maybe playing against men he can't accomplish as much with that amazing skating as he does against juniors?    But he seems to read the play well enough and find his team mates, so it's not like he's going full Jake out there (just kidding).  In a draft that's supposed to be all about the USNDP, I wouldn't be shocked to see Byram, Broberg and Soderstrom all sneak into the top 10. 

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Yah until the playoffs start.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

He Sounds like Erik Karlsson  big reward, big risk, big minus .

Karlson does lead defensemen in playoff scoring - and had 18 pts in 19 playoff games in 16/17.

It's true that team's need some size, physicality, even intimidation (if possible) on their blueline - but at the same time you can't pass on a bpa (if he were that) simply because they're not ideal size.  You simply need to add that by other means if you use this pick on a skilled blueliner.  Maybe Seider or Broberg turn out to be the bpa - ideally the RHD though.

The bigger bluelines though - tend to look pretty good in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Me_ said:

I would think that is a close deal. I’d say both Sutter amen Virtanen.

VAN

1OA19

NJD

Sutter

Virtanen

Demko

10OA19

Absolutely ridiculous.   

Sutter has negative value.  

Virtanen, while I like him, is looking like. 3rd liner at best.  

Demko is still a maybe prospect.  He could go either way.  

Its an overall garbage offer.  

Would you take that bag’o’crap for Pettersson?    

You want the 1st overall, start with the 10th pick, add Bo or Brock, then NJ will maybe listen to what else you can add to that.  

Man do i I hate seeing Canuck fan trade proposals.   Just brutal.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Absolutely ridiculous.   

Sutter has negative value.  

Virtanen, while I like him, is looking like. 3rd liner at best.  

Demko is still a maybe prospect.  He could go either way.  

Its an overall garbage offer.  

Would you take that bag’o’crap for Pettersson?    

You want the 1st overall, start with the 10th pick, add Bo or Brock, then NJ will maybe listen to what else you can add to that.  

Man do i I hate seeing Canuck fan trade proposals.   Just brutal.  

Proposals like that is why every gm we have has haters.

Everyone seems to think the Canucks should be able to fleece anyone in a trade or else you're labeled a lame duck lol

Just laughable

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Trying to move up would take Boeser or Horvat. So why bother. There is some solid players in the mid round. What they need to do is try to land another mid round first. Or a couple of seconds. 

One of Krebs  , Broberg , Boldy , Harley , Caufield...……         These are not chopped liver and one of them might be exactly what we need.  Soderstrom is another one.

I doubt Benning will do it but I would love to see Sutter and Tanev moved for extra picks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless Turcotte or Boldy are still available, I think the Nucks might be better off going with a defenceman. 

I'm just so intrigued by Ville Heinola and Philip Broberg.

They may both seem like off-the-board picks at #10, but I think they have to be considered...

Heinola has seemingly limitless potential. Nothing he does jumps out at you, other than real smooth skating and high IQ... but he has the makings of something special if he can continue to evolve. He surpassed Heiskanen's point totals in the same league, and doesn't appear to have any glaring weaknesses. Huge fan of what I've seen.

Broberg's highlights are unreal. His skating is sublime, and he's tall with a long stick. I keep hearing that he goes quiet for long stretches of play, but his highlights are pretty impressive. Maybe a bit more of a boom or bust, but I like the idea of the Nucks finally becoming a team with a mobile defence.

Call me crazy, I just like what those guys bring from their position over Krebs, Caufield, maybe even Dach... 

I would have no real issue taking Soderstrom, but I don't think the 'safe pick' is what this team needs. The fanbase can't handle another Juolevi situation (even though I haven't given up on the kid myself).

Edited by nergish