The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

Take Broberg.

I think we should continue to draft defensemen, building somewhat like Nashville did years ago.

Time and internal competition will tell, but Hughes, Juolevi, and Broberg pretty well covers the left side.

Thanks to those who posted his highlights.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Broberg is 6'3 and 200lb as a seventeen year  old. His skating is elite. Time for some size.

Broberg has all the tools to replace Edler, which I’ve been saying for awhile now, a much better skater too... THN rank him 8th some lists have him outside the top ten but he definitely wouldn’t be offboard by any stretch.  Another LHD is the only thing that makes me hesitant...Edler, Hutton, Hughes and OJ are one too many as it is  (Hutton needs to be traded to make room at some point),  Broberg has the skills and physical tools to play sooner than later, draft plus one maybe  (late in the season like Hughes) draft plus two probably on this team.  Edlers contract will be longer than when he’s ready so not sure how we’d fit him into the lineup...unles we draft him and don’t sign Edler and spend the money on the right side (Myers).  Hughes Broberg OJ could eventually be a great left side. 

Definitely think he’s better than Soderstrom...and don’t want another OJ situation where we are waiting four years to see what he can do in the NHL.  Boldy would be another sniper in the footsteps of Boeser (even better possibly), would be happy with him, he won’t take long either (like Broberg) and also has size.   No smurfs indeed.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Does anyone have concerns about those players on the US National Team with the staggering points?  Any potential passengers?

Not anymore.  I did a few years ago, but the US NDTP is churning stars and NHLers at an accelerated rate now.  Three of the top ten players are from that program, this year including first overall.

They haven’t yet but are beginning to challenge the CHL for the best hot bed of top end talent...at least portions of it.  Funny thing this year all four of Canada’s top prospects are in the WHL or BCHL.  Canada is still is putting more players in the NHL, but it’s nothing like it used to be.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Depending on who was available at 10th OA (eg. no Boldy or Broberg or Soderstrom), I might be tempted to trade down.

Perhaps Buffalo could be tempted with the Canucks pick (and perhaps some reasonable add) in return for the St. Louis and San Jose picks (depending on where they end up - currently 20th and 26th). Perhaps the Canucks get lucky and pick up two guys from amongst Seider, Robertson, Harley or Foote.

regards,  G.

EDIT: it appears I may have consulted a non-current list of who owns what pick. If this is the case, NVM. In any event, I'm not opposed to trading down if there isn't a prospect at 10OA who fits. :)

Edited by Gollumpus

On 4/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, smithers joe said:

i read that soderstrom had a chabot in him waiting to come out. don’t know if that's true or not. 

Interesting. I've read a similar comment about Harley.

regards,  G.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:44 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

:shock:

man thats a scary thought. Shink is a good example of the risks at the draft. The back1/2 of that 2013 1st round is littered with cautionary tales.

Granlund gets a lot of crap on these boards but he's played 300 games, has 97 pts, Shink has 15 games, 2 points. 

I don't want us to draft another smaller-side, potential perimeter F at 10th. Lets leave that for later rounds. 

I dont think any of us were complaining that we picked Shinkaruk at that time. If you recall, he was projected top 10-15, and even in, if i recall right, in the preliminary rankings in the beginning of the season, Shinkaruk actually was in the 7 - 10 range. Some guys just don't work out once they got into higher level of competition, just like Jordan Schroeder

5 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Is a bigger need defensemen or left wingers?

I feel like we have some good D-man joining us shortly: Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, (perhaps Tryamkin again)

Go for a strong LW for Pettersson and Boeser plz. 

Thats the million dollar question, which the Canucks are going to have to face at the 10th pick. Do you want to take the 8th best forward? or the 2nd best defenceman? Defenceman right now are such a premium especially how the games played that even if the forward is slightly better than the Dman, you'd opt to take the d-man since they are important in this style of game, defending while pushing the teams pace up the ice. Hitting on a defenceman in the first round and them becoming cornerstone players have such high value, with the exception of ultra elite level mcdavid type players, that they can fetch an incredible ransom in the open market if you choose to trade them

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I dont think any of us were complaining that we picked Shinkaruk at that time. If you recall, he was projected top 10-15, and even in, if i recall right, in the preliminary rankings in the beginning of the season, Shinkaruk actually was in the 7 - 10 range. Some guys just don't work out once they got into higher level of competition, just like Jordan Schroeder

it made sense to add C depth for sure, but my point is as good as any player looks in the bottom 1/2 of the 1st round of the draft you just don't  really know what the player will be in the NHL. It seems like Benning and crew are beating the odds a little bit with the quality of picks but its still going to be a few years yet before we can comment on how much better he may be in this area. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Filthycanuck made a good point. D-men have a higher value than wingers, and this is somewhat of an investment. Soderstrom would add so much to the back end, along with Hughes, Juolevi and Woo in the near future.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Soderstrom

Juolevi - Woo

Tryamkin

Rathbone 

(not including UFAs)

If the Canucks decide later to trade Soderstrom, the return would be very good. A lot more than a winger.

So, maybe they draft a forward with the 2nd? Or who knows, maybe (G) Spencer Knight falls to us.

Brink (doubtful he's still around)

Hoglander

Pellettier

Tomasino

Nic Robertson

Poulin

• Cheers 1

I would take either Centers or Defence in first round of draft because the overabundance supplies of depth can fetch you a good return for a proven players now in a trade rather than prospects in returns.  Centers has only 4 jobs available, defence has only 6 jobs available when compared to wingers, it has 8 jobs available and you can find them through free agents and teams nowadays wouldn't trade away their top center or a top Defence unless returns are premium.    A winger in first round is risky, unless you are a Jagr and wingers can be replaced easily and there's are too many good wingers around in the league but centers and defence is harder to find.  If you don't have a winger, a center can be traded for a top winger in the league if you have a depth in the centers or defence.  

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Filthycanuck made a good point. D-men have a higher value than wingers, and this is somewhat of an investment. Soderstrom would add so much to the back end, along with Hughes, Juolevi and Woo in the near future.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Soderstrom

Juolevi - Woo

Tryamkin

Rathbone 

(not including UFAs)

If the Canucks decide later to trade Soderstrom, the return would be very good. A lot more than a winger.

So, maybe they draft a forward with the 2nd? Or who knows, maybe (G) Spencer Knight falls to us.

Brink (doubtful he's still around)

Hoglander

Pellettier

Tomasino

Nic Robertson

Poulin

Keep in mind too, as much as a Defenceman is a worthwhile investment, and hold the highest value if you hit, they also bring the most risk being a bust to go with them having to take longer to develop. Its such a crapshoot that the scouting staff have to really do their due deligence on whos gonna translate to the NHL. Some might be busts (ex: Pouliot, Griffin Reinhart), some might be decent but never live up to their (Bogosian, our own L. Schenn). For all we know, Seider ends up being the best D-man in the draft when all is said and done. Many great defencemen, Subban, Weber, Duncan Keith etc. come from various rounds in the draft so you'll never know where that stud Defenceman will be