The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

1 hour ago, bobo1763 said:

If only our first “power forward” panned out from 2014 :bigblush:

2 hours ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

I like him but reading the power forward I think Jake V.! Anyways we need someone who can pot 40goals no D picks

Not every power forward fits the same mold. From what I've read, Boldy has great hockey sense, hands that are soft as butter, and a multi-dimensional offense. Also, from the highlights, I don't see a player that's afraid to go to the middle.

22 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

watched the giants game tonight and  Byram is just unreal .   I would hope they could make a move to land him ...   our d would be nashville like .  make that splash Jim !!

draft the giants player for once !!

I wanted to win top 3 to get him but alas it didn’t happen. I think Chicago or Colorado takes him before we even get a sniff unfortunately. But we shall see.

I am open by moving Horvat for #1 pick. Horvat is more of a proven player and they will know what they have while the Canucks needs more time rebuilding.  I can see them not being ready for playoff team without any moves.  Horvat/Sutter and #10 pick and NJ would take it, it would solidify centers in their roster for a long time.   Hughes is a center and probably not be ready for next few years.   He is not McDavid or Matthews anyways.   There's no guarantee that Jack Hughes would pan out.  This proposal I made would gut our center depth for a few years until Hughes is strong enough for the NHL.  Even if we do not make any moves, I feel that the Canucks are not ready to make some noise as there's too many holes in our Defence and the depth should injury bug strikes again.   

No defencemen in the first round is worth a top 15 pick except Byram. Last year there were so many good defencemen and we got one of the best. This year it’s shallow, the only reason these guys are even ranked in the top 15 is cause there’s no one else. Boldy or Lavoie is who I want. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Same worries about Petey and Johnny Hockey.  Marner isn’t big either.  We need a dynamic winger, who can drive the play.  Maybe this kid can become that player?  

but Petey has a 6'2 frame and he will grow into that body. Marner is 6'0 and Gaudreau who is already small at 5'9... Caufield is 5'6. I think the size is a legitimate concern. I just have a hard time imagining how his dynamic game will translate into the NHL. i'm afraid he could turn into a Nathan Gerbe instead of Gaudreau. Too risky imo.

Im a big fan of Alex Turcotte, but I don't think hes going to get to us. But at 10, Ill definetely take Caufield over Boldy, Soderstrom or Newhook. The kid can flat out score. To put it in perspective, a point a game in US NDT, is a borderline top 10 pick. A goal a game? Thats just flat out special. I watched a bit of videos, the kid can really fire the puck, and from what Ive seen, he actually uses his size to his advantage. He gets a lot of leverage quick on his shot, and leaves the the puck off his stick quick simply because he's a smaller guy. Its like taking 2 rubber bands, one big and one small..you stretch them the same length, the smaller one will recoil faster. I don't buy that Caufield's success is directly from playing with Hughes. From the stats Ive seen, im sure some of you guys have too, the kids been almost at a goal a game pace his entire career since he was in bantam! I know some guys are weary of drafting a kid that small, but Caufield has a lot of talent, and I think he'll be a solid pick. Keep in mind too, one of Bennings attributes that he LOVES and looks for a in a player, with the exception of hughes, Benning and management really value players that can wire the puck, and Caufield probably would have one of the top releases in the draft. I don't think a team has every complained that they have too many goal scorers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, DallasDrake said:

I hope we take York or Boldy. Why anyone else arent high on York? Everyone seems to like the two swedes for D. York has better numbers than example Mcavoy in his draft year

I actually like York a lot more than Soderstrom and Broberg. The German kid Seider is a bit of a project but I think theres upside, could be a good one in the right system

It rarely makes sense to move up in the draft unless you have a sure fire franchise player and extra assets to make it happen. Hughes is not from what I read and we do not have assets to burn.

You stay the course and rely on good drafting to build depth. Once you have a logjam of talent then you can look at making moves and acquiring picks for good players you just don't have room for.

The thing a lot of people seem to gloss over is how much these star players will cost you... Pete seems to be all world, Boeser looks to be a legit first liner, Quinn has loads or potential... once Pete us making 10 mill and brock is making 8 etc etc.... could you even afford a second Hughes? Would be tough... look at Edmonton... they are in cap hell.

I'll be happy with another solid player at #10

Edited by Canucklehead73
Punctuation