The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

players with skill and character

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

Ah, I've cracked the code. All the players you've mentioned.

Tyler Bozak, played for the Victoria Salsa/Grizzlies
Joe Hicketts, played for the Victoria Royals
Jamie Benn, played for the Victoria Salsa/Grizzlies
Griffen Outhouse, plays for the Victoria Royals
Alex Newhook, plays for the Victoria Grizzlies

So really all you want is for us to go after any players that currently, or have at one point played for a Victoria based hockey team.

So OP, any chance you live in Victoria?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like in this year's playoffs, it's the team that shows the greater hunger and willingness to get to the scoring areas, along with of course the mix of speed/ skill (and the ability to PLAY big) that has gotten results.  Strictly having watched the Jackets and Lightning and some Pens/ Isles, guys like Bjorkstrand and Atkinson aren't the biggest but they go to the dirty areas, while there's similarly driven but bigger players like Nelson and Lee.  It does make sense the players who are willing to get the high percentage plays through being gritty and determined would have a high chance of success and it may seem like common sense, but I do hope that J.B. can get more guys with that kind of heart along with skill.

Guys like Roussel and Horvat definitely do battle, as does Petey and Pearson, and Jake's pretty good at that too.  Besides them up front though, there really isn't too much in terms of guys who can, by sheer force of determination, will the team to getting chances and scoring.  Someone like Gallagher from Montreal would be an excellent add IMO, and if there's guys like that from T-Bay or Pittsburgh or other teams with emerging cap issues or restructuring to come, I hope J.B. jumps at the opportunity.  It's these skilled gritty guys, along with guys that can generate chances from the back (good that we have Hughes and Eddie, plus Hutton/ Stecher somewhat but could use more) that would likely need to be added to further the team on the path to contention.   

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

so pepe silva are you ill...not only are those players you mentioned great players but they have that grits and personality i like in a player..just examples..sure newhook and out house id go for but up to jim..better off to look at NCAA honey baker finalist and sign for millions..not me id rather go low ball and take a chance on long shot that is cheaper but may work out....benn only NHL league mvp once upon a time  joe hickets smaller but has upside for lower money and just as good or better than stretcher newhook is skilled and young and i think he is best bchler in last 10 years..vs turris joyst  cholwski kerfoot  tyson barrie bozak benn ya three of them benn barrie and bozak all played in victoria..and no I'm not from victoria..i am on the island and i hate victoria city slickers but the town is ok sometimes...bettter than vancouver for daily routine ..  what im saying is canucks keep going for player far away and never get good players local as in bc..petey and boeser are the only out of town guys i like....other players like levio peterson elder and rouse are ok too...stretcher is good player and he means well...just think he is a good average steady d man and has good skill but canucks need to look for like him in british columbia hockey leagues...whl or bchl...giants the pg spruce kings ho cares.....do you want more example zed ono  chara bruins dustin buflien jets tyson barrie avalanche devon towes islanders the surrey eagle kid on bruins but i dont see him playing blue jackets portland winter hawks player bjoretrom on on ..did you know these teams playing for stanley cup have key pieces of their team from the whl in bc teams and bchl and ya mainly victoria and so on...

12 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

so pepe silva are you ill...not only are those players you mentioned great players but they have that grits and personality i like in a player..just examples..sure newhook and out house id go for but up to jim..better off to look at NCAA honey baker finalist and sign for millions..not me id rather go low ball and take a chance on long shot that is cheaper but may work out....benn only NHL league mvp once upon a time  joe hickets smaller but has upside for lower money and just as good or better than stretcher newhook is skilled and young and i think he is best bchler in last 10 years..vs turris joyst  cholwski kerfoot  tyson barrie bozak benn ya three of them benn barrie and bozak all played in victoria..and no I'm not from victoria..i am on the island and i hate victoria city slickers but the town is ok sometimes...bettter than vancouver for daily routine ..  what im saying is canucks keep going for player far away and never get good players local as in bc..petey and boeser are the only out of town guys i like....other players like levio peterson elder and rouse are ok too...stretcher is good player and he means well...just think he is a good average steady d man and has good skill but canucks need to look for like him in british columbia hockey leagues...whl or bchl...giants the pg spruce kings ho cares.....do you want more example zed ono  chara bruins dustin buflien jets tyson barrie avalanche devon towes islanders the surrey eagle kid on bruins but i dont see him playing blue jackets portland winter hawks player bjoretrom on on ..did you know these teams playing for stanley cup have key pieces of their team from the whl in bc teams and bchl and ya mainly victoria and so on...

If you're looking to build a team with only local players who have "grits" you are severely limiting yourself. How about drafting and acquiring players with skill, speed, character and sure, "grits" regardless where they're from? I don't care if he's from White Rock or Uzbekistan, if he can play he can play.