Canucks Community

Who would you have drafted in 2015?

Baratheon

14 - Nylander or Larkin

15 - Konecny or Merkley

16 - Joulevi or Tkachuk 

17 - Glass or Vilardi or Liljegren

18 - Bouchard or Dobson

I was not impressed with Virt.. stoked about OJ.. Boes, Petey & Hughes were nowhere near my radar.. well Hughes a little bit I guess, but I still wanted Bouchard

From Benning’s draft, these were my top 3.

2014: Perlini, Larkin, Virtanen / McCann, Barbashev, Bergman

2015: Konecny, Beauvillier, Larsson

2016: Chychrun, Jost, Bellows

2017: Tippett, Vilardi, Pettersson

2018: Veleno, Hughes, Farabee

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I was talking to a friend today and we were discussing the past five drafts and talking about who we would have drafted at the time. (We both would have missed out on Petey haha)

2015 was a weird one because we had a lower pick at 23.  I can remember that I was not happy because I had no idea who Boeser even was.  If I had been GM that year I believe we would have ended up with Oliver Kylington (sorry guys!)

Can any of you remember who you were hoping to pick at #23 that year?

Boeser

2014 was hoping draisatl or dall Colle dropped to us. Otherwise Nylander or at least Ehlers

2015 I guess kylington but I didn’t really follow this draft 

2016 Tkachuk Dubois 

2017 trade down for both EP and Liljegren but I was okay with a lot including glass, villardi, and middlestat 

2018 Dobson or Walmart ( still don’t know how islanders got both) let’s hope they don’t both pan out

2019 byram, broberg, or Söderström preferably. Okay with anyone though. Similar to 2017. Crapshoot.

3 hours ago, Grape said:

If we’re going all the way back to Benning’s first draft:

2014: Ritchie and McCann

2015: Konecny

2016: Tkachuk

2017: Pettersson

2018: Hughes

Feel free to do the same, I’d like to see who you guys wanted for each of the past five years

2014: Ehlers, Kempe/Lemieux- speed then speed/grit was my thinking with Lemieux. Admittedly I didn't know about Pastrnak

2015: Konecny- Didnt know as much about Brock at the time

2016: Tkachuk- Skilled gritty in your face LW, yes please no brainer in this draft for me anyway

2017: Glass/Vilardi or EP- 1 for size other for his skill

2018: Boqvist/Bouchard- wanted a RHD to compliment the OJ draft selection and was worried about durability & lack of a shot with Hughes

I wanted defense. Wasn’t too partial on who.

I remember being upset with the Boeser pick only because I thought he looked like another prospect displeased to go to us, and that wasn’t a good sign for someone going the college route. Of course that’s before I knew just how laid back Boeser was in general.

we had a poll if someone can find it and bump it it be great, it was Canucks.com members voting I recall Canucks.com wanted Olivery Kylton first, and then it was Jeremy Roy.  Brock Boeser had a Cody Hodgson but a winger vibe so he wasn't popular.

man were we wrong.  Canucks hfboards members too.  You clowns cannot out draft the management.  

My picks and I seem to have a few threads  that I created around this. I usually did one right after the draft each year. I checked them and these were the picks I wanted at the time 

2014- Ehlers and Demko

2015 - Rasmus Anderssen

2016 - Olli Julevi

2017 - Cody Glass

2018 - Hughes

I think Benning and Brackett have done a much better job than I would have. When you go deeper into the rounds of each draft, its where they really show how its done.

2014: Dal Colle or Ehlers
2015: Boeser
2016: Tkachuk, but I was happy with Juolevi.

2017: Mittelstadt. Started to warm up to Pettersson, but I had no idea he'd be this good.

2018: Hughes or Bouchard. When we made the pick, I was over the moon, which kinda told me who I wanted more.

7 hours ago, Grape said:

If we’re going all the way back to Benning’s first draft:

2014: Ritchie and McCann

2015: Konecny

2016: Tkachuk

2017: Pettersson

Feel free to do the same, I’d like to see who you guys wanted for each of the past five years

2014: Ehlers 

2015: Roy or Kylington 

2016: Sergachev or Tkachuk 

2017: Pettersson (because of dahlen) 

i am not by any means a good scout nor do i watch these kids play enough during their draft year. I was so wrong in 2015 and boy am i glad I’m not a nuck scout. Saw tkachuk play in Ottawa vs London and his line (with Dvorak and Marner) were electric. Tkahcuk was the driver and I think they all got like 5 points of just pure ridiculous skillful goals. Was very happy we picked up OJ, and am still very happy about that pick. I thought Sergachev filled a better need, but now that we have Hughes, OJ was in hindsight the better organizational pick 

In Benning I Trust! 

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

My boiii was Brandon Carlo.

2015 - Brandon Carlo

2016 - Matthew Tkachuk (Dubois was my first choice)

2017 - Cody Glass (Miro Heiskanen was my first choice)

2018 - Noah Dobson (Quinn Hughes was my first choice, but I didn’t think he’d drop that far in a million years).

I’ll include 2014 since I remember that year as well.

I really wanted Sam Reinhart.  Badly.  I thought he was the real deal and I had him pegged as being a viable heir apparent to the twins.  I was willing to trade Horvat + our 6th for Reinhart.   Ugggh.

2013:  I didn’t have anyone particular in mind, but I remember being very upset over the Schneider trade.

2012:  Didn’t care.  I was thinking about quitting the NHL as a fan and was seriously contemplating doing something else.   I was getting ready to say good bye to the NHL.  At the time, I didn’t realize that I was actually getting ready to say “good bye” to almost every other aspect of my life *except* for the NHL.....and that my passion for the Canucks and hockey would intensify even more in a few short years (after the Seahawks super bowl victory).

2011:  was too depressed to care about hockey or the draft. 

I predicted we would draft Boeser or Juulsen (true story). I even posted it on the Canucks Facebook page contest a few hours prior to the draft. Should've won a signed Boeser puck but they gave it some other guy instead, even though I was the first one to mention it. <_<

Archived