Sign in to follow this  
Hindustan Smyl

[Proposal] Adam Gaudette and/or Tyler Madden for a young RHD

Recommended Posts

On 4/16/2019 at 9:12 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I was going to say this...…………….

 

I think those people talking about a Virtanen - Ristolainen  probably have it right, as both players were high picks, and both players have not developed as well as hoped.

The only thing that concerns me on that, is Ristolainen has a problem playing 5 on 5, but he is young and still has time...….

 

But, honestly, I put my brakes on this because when I sat back and looked at it, I asked myself why would we be trading an asset (Virtanen) for Ristolainen ($5,400,000), when we can go after Myers, which is much more sound defensively, and is still plays PP for Winnipeg (sign Myers 4 years X $7,250,000), which is an over payment, from a budgetary point of view, but limits our long term exposure...….and gives us a much more dependable defenseman. Stalman may also be a cheaper, short term solution, but I am leaning towards Myers.

 

Now, we have a stop gap on the RHD, and we draft another RHD or 2 to put in the development chain, and we have time to develop them.

I am still of the mind, the Canucks should draft a forward with our 10 OA, and work on getting another low first to draft, to along with our 2nd - 40 OA, go after 2 RHD prospects, for further depth...……..or at the very least moving up with our 2nd and taking a RHD with it.

 

Although, I see the point of drafting a solid RHD prospect, there may be an opportunity later in the year to make a more lateral move, to get that RHD prospect, and as someone has pointed out, we still have to be careful of the Seattle Expansion Draft.

 

Personally, I draft a RHD with 2nd, sign Myers, and look to acquire another higher end RHD in a lateral move later on in the year.

 

I think we have the assets to make a lateral move like that, and not hurt the franchise, but maybe we are getting a little hurried in filling in that spot. And should wait and see what the summer brings.

Personally I would want to try for both and move Tanev out.  I don’t think Virtanen has the value to get Risto and I think we want to keep him.  There is some combo that works to make it happen.  Risto, Myers, Edler, Hughes in the top 4 is a nice retool of the D.  Plus Tryamkin and Joulevi coming on lower cap hits and it will all fit nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

 

I think Parayko would cost us too many assets unfortunately.   Guys like Dobson, Bouchard, and Boquist would be nice, but I think those teams’ asking price would be too high (and rightfully so given their respective ages and ceilings).  

 

I wonder if it would be worth it on our end to inquire about Timothy Liljegren from Toronto? Benning and Dubas have an excellent relationship, and I don’t think it would cost us an arm and a leg to get Liljegren (although in Toronto’s case, I think they need a young RHD to emerge almost as badly as we do).

 

If we get Bode Wilde out of Long Island, we’d have two of the coolest names in the NHL.  :p (Bode Wilde + Jet Woo). 

I don't think we need Liljegren from the leafs. Rather keep our picks and have faith in our scouting staff. The last two drafts were good for us just let them do their work.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 2:24 AM, Dazzle said:

Gaudette's a really good prospect. Why the heck are we trading him?

Agreed that Gaudette is a good prospect but consider the following:

 

1) We have Pettersson and Horvat at center.

2) Tyler Madden is waiting in the wings and it’s very likely that atleast one of Madden or Gaudette will be good enough to have that 3rd line C spot.

3) The Canucks are relatively deep down the middle, but are extremely anemic on their right side defense.

4) In order to receive something of value, you have to give something of value.  Guys like Adam Gaudette and Tyler Madden have value and so it’s very conceivable that trading either of these guys would be able to land you a good defensive prospect.  

 

That was my line of thinking here.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would an Adam Gaudette for Roland McKeown swap be fair?

 

Gaudette has the higher upside, but McKeown is a good NHL caliber defenseman that would have been an NHL’er on most teams.   He is simply a victim of playing behind a deep Carolina defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 10:15 AM, Alflives said:

Would you do Gaudette for Ristolainen?  

In a heartbeat but I am a huge Gaudette fan.  Risto is still my prime target along with signing Panarin.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

In a heartbeat but I am a huge Gaudette fan.  Risto is still my prime target along with signing Panarin.

 

 

With the Sabres paying crazy cap dollars on Eichel and Skinner, I can see them really wanting a guy like Gaudette who is a good player that will not cost too much.  I think Risto would be a good get for us too.  It’s s fair hockey trade, and JB likes those. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Agreed that Gaudette is a good prospect but consider the following:

 

1) We have Pettersson and Horvat at center.

2) Tyler Madden is waiting in the wings and it’s very likely that atleast one of Madden or Gaudette will be good enough to have that 3rd line C spot.

3) The Canucks are relatively deep down the middle, but are extremely anemic on their right side defense.

4) In order to receive something of value, you have to give something of value.  Guys like Adam Gaudette and Tyler Madden have value and so it’s very conceivable that trading either of these guys would be able to land you a good defensive prospect.  

 

That was my line of thinking here.

Agreed that they are likely our best trade chips.  Out of the two I keep Gaudette as I feel he is a lock as our 3rd center for the next 20 years.  Madden is likely a W with high upside but easier to find.  I would do Madden plus a high 2020 pick for a sub 25 year old RHD.  Risto/Trouba/Parayko (Older but still young enough).  We need to secure the prime positions on our team and top line RHD is one of them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

@SabreFan1 would Buffalo be interested in Madden and a 2020 1st for Ristolainen?

Doubtful.  Ristolainen's price will pretty much come down to how many teams want him.  If more than a few do, he'll fetch quite a premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Doubtful.  Ristolainen's price will pretty much come down to how many teams want him.  If more than a few do, he'll fetch quite a premium.

Yeah that’s my thought.  Assuming we have the assets outside of our young core, I would be all in for him and Panarin.  They both perfectly augment our core at 1LW and 1RHD.  Players like Madden/Gaudette/Woo/Dipietro plus high picks I would include.  Not all obviously just some combo that makes it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah that’s my thought.  Assuming we have the assets outside of our young core, I would be all in for him and Panarin.  They both perfectly augment our core at 1LW and 1RHD.  Players like Madden/Gaudette/Woo/Dipietro plus high picks I would include.  Not all obviously just some combo that makes it happen.

I'm not a Ristolainen fan, but for some reason, half of the league is.  I'd like to see the Sabres dump him for assets while so many still think he's a good d-man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not a Ristolainen fan, but for some reason, half of the league is.  I'd like to see the Sabres dump him for assets while so many still think he's a good d-man.

Based on this it would still be a hefty price for us to get him but I think he’s our best target for age, offense, size, contract, and RH shot.  Paired with Edler would allow Edler to simplify his game a bit more from having to lead the offence.  Many positive cascading impacts.

 

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tanev (Tryamkin soon)

Joulevi Stecher

Hutton

 

Risto/Tryamkin/Hughes would be expansion protected 

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, HKSR said:

Really?  A tough call?  If that offer came to Vancouver, GMJB would be fired if he turned that down.  You take that deal and run as fast as you can.

 

I still think he should be flogged for supposedly squashing any idea of acquiring Subban from MTL if it meant having to part with Tanev. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

3) The Canucks are relatively deep down the middle, but are extremely anemic on their right side defense.

4) In order to receive something of value, you have to give something of value.  Guys like Adam Gaudette and Tyler Madden have value and so it’s very conceivable that trading either of these guys would be able to land you a good defensive prospect.  

 

That was my line of thinking here.

3) Acquiring Subban and re-signing Schenn would fix that. I'd feel a lot more confident with the RHD core with Stecher at #2 between those other two. 

4) As it pertains to your previous point, it's likely too late for GMJB to really acquire anything of Subban's talent in exchange for Tanev, who I feel should've been moved 2-3 years ago and replaced by a legitimate #1RHD. But, I'm not in favour of moving Gaudette in order to achieve that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not a Ristolainen fan, but for some reason, half of the league is.  I'd like to see the Sabres dump him for assets while so many still think he's a good d-man.

Agreed. I really don't quite see what the attraction is there. Never been impressed with him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

3) Acquiring Subban and re-signing Schenn would fix that. I'd feel a lot more confident with the RHD core with Stecher at #2 between those other two. 

4) As it pertains to your previous point, it's likely too late for GMJB to really acquire anything of Subban's talent in exchange for Tanev, who I feel should've been moved 2-3 years ago and replaced by a legitimate #1RHD. But, I'm not in favour of moving Gaudette in order to achieve that. 

Tanev + Madden/Gaudette for PK?  JB has to do that, doesn’t he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fakename70 said:

Agreed. I really don't quite see what the attraction is there. Never been impressed with him. 

Risto does put up points.  He’s a second pair guy though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tanev + Madden/Gaudette for PK?  JB has to do that, doesn’t he? 

I would'nt be so quick on moving Gaudette. I think there's a lot of ceiling there. Particularly when I'm not so sure Nashville needs a player like him nearly as much as VAN could use a Subban, as much as I'd love to see him paired with Hughes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Risto does put up points.  He’s a second pair guy though.  

But, I'm not too impressed with him actually playing defence, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.