The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They have MacKenzie Blackwood who is younger and posted better numbers than Demko this season.

Can always take out pieces and offer others by mixing and matching. And can never have too many goalies which opens up trading them for other positional needs. 

The way I see it, 10+Juolevi+Madden and/or Lockwood would be the base. Adding another piece or 2 on top of that could determine if there’s a deal to be made.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yes, it's a lot but it's an exponential scale to move into franchise player territory, not a linear one.  It wouldn't be quite as much as the Lindros trade all those years ago, but they would definitely want one of our core 4 plus other significant pieces.  There's no way there wouldn't be some real pain for us in that deal.

Franchise yes, that’s what they all say about top picks but not generational as Matthews/McDavid were and certainly not Lindros who was 1 of 1 and no one even close to him.

Real pain only if you have limited assets. Thankfully for the Canucks, they’ve built them up over the years and are in a position to maybe package them. And Juolevi is our only real top d prospect so that would hurt to lose him and be left empty handed on the back end.

8 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

- Top 10 pick

- Juolevi (5th overall) adds to their poor defence prospect pool

- Madden/Lockwood are one of the best college prospects with certainly an NHL future

- Demko is one of the best goalie prospects ready to become a starter / or a 1st next year which is never bad

...I’d say that’s a fair share of quality and quantity.

I don’t think Lockwoods stick is too high, nor Juolevi. Well Juolevi has value but certainly not 5th overall 2016 type value. 

I think we would have to give them someone they really like plus our 10th, and I am not sure we have that piece. 

I am guessing they will only consider if we include one of Horvat, Boeser, ep, or Hughes. So I think we are out of luck.

They might consider our 10th overall and next years 1st (2020) but that’s not very smart. Could end up much worse than Colorado having Ottawa’s 1st this year.

• Upvote 1

I could actually live with Boeser and our 10th for their 1st overall and a 3rd or a 4th. Depending on how much Boeser makes on his new contract.

I still feel that we are at least 2 years away from really challenging for a cup and Hughes at an entry level contract when we have a chance at a cup vs Boeser at 7 million could be huge. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tomatoes11 said:

I could actually live with Boeser and our 10th for their 1st overall and a 3rd or a 4th. Depending on how much Boeser makes on his new contract.

I still feel that we are at least 2 years away from really challenging for a cup and Hughes at an entry level contract when we have a chance at a cup vs Boeser at 7 million could be huge. 

That’s likely the price.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Boeser is not the top-6 C they have desperately been looking for though.  That's one of their biggest need with a legit D1.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Boeser is not the top-6 C they have desperately been looking for though.  That's one of their biggest need with a legit D1.  

Would be hilarious if they flipped Hall for a legit #1 Dman, which they probably can, while the Oilers only got Larsson for Hall.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Never lol. Boeser will make in the $6m-$7.6m range. That’s nothing in today’s nhl and fair.

Won’t effect our cap much. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

They’re still very much in a rebuild. Wanting to take the next step just to entice Hall in staying doesn’t mean they are coming out of a rebuild like the Canucks are positioned to. There’s a difference there.

The Canucks are not positioned to come out of a rebuild. We're still talking minimum this and next year top 10 picks before pushing to be a sure fire playoff team.

People need to slow down, be patient.

• Upvote 2

Jesus Christ, if Benning is really thinking about acquiring the 1st overall because we are hosting it and Jack Hughes is Quinn Hughe's brother then we should fire Benning. It is this kind of sentiment towards players that made us draft Jake Virtanen in his draft year because he is a BC boy and can be like Cam Neely? Wtf? How does this logic make sense?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

The only Obvious players who are untouchables are Pettersson and Hughes. Horvat is 100% expendable if you're trading for a 1st overall centre and already have a number 1 two way centre in Pettersson. Markstrom made this team look way better than it actually was. Without Markstrom, this team was last in the NHL. If you give up Horvat + keep your first this year and get the first overall... The rebuild is looking pretty solid. 

LOL! Horvat expendable? How many times have you hit your head son? Please wear a helmet when walking down the street.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The Canucks are not positioned to come out of a rebuild. We're still talking minimum this and next year top 10 picks before pushing to be a sure fire playoff team.

People need to slow down, be patient.

I thought people were saying without the freak injuries and a relatively healthy team we could have been a a playoff team. 

I don’t see why they don’t push for a spot next year. Especially with young guys only gaining confidence that will perform better. And who knows what FA brings us, especially if we’re able to get both Hughes that would surely up the team’s odds of making it.