The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Virtanen for Toffoli

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:00 AM, Pete M said:

Pearson and Toffoli made a strong line in LA...they also were a top line in the "A"...they've played with each other a lot and have chemistry together...Pearson, Horvat, and Toffoli on the second line

Toffoli will be a UFA at the end of next year. So no thanks. Where we could have 5 or 8 years of Jake?

Would be a good line though.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, vannuck59 said:

Anyone watching the playoffs going to start drafting some size old time hockey in the playoffs

Columbus isn't super big, but they play really big. Their average weight and height is the same as ours. Size is super overrated on this board. It's not about the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog. And it's not like Jake is a monster player. He is like an inch taller and 10-15 pounds heavier than Toffoli. Toffoli likely has a very good two way game coming from that LA team. He is playoff proven, having won a cup and all. A 3rd liner that has never hit 30 points is not worth a true to form top 6 player apparently. People have the silliest reasons for it too. "He's too old" "He's not big enough".

I am a massive Virtanen fan but I am beginning to wonder if he's in the long term plans as a top 6 player. Why not supplement the players the organization actually believes have top 6 talent with other actual top 6 talent? Especially if the cost is someone the team doesn't 100% believe in as a top 6 player. If Green would play Jake in the top 6 for more than a handful of shifts I am with the "keep Virtanen" camp. But I am doubting the team will ever play him in the top 6 for multiple games in a row.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I wouldn't trade Jake this year. 

Next year is the last year of his bridge deal. He's improved each year, he'll only be 23 next year, and

because it's his contract year, he'll be motivated to the max. 

We need to be patient and not rush moves in general. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Virtanen for Toffoli
  • 10 months later...